Gun Cleaning Input - Page 89
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #881
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I clean my guns after every use, after proper break in of coarse. For the first 500 rounds or so, I'll run a lubed brush through the bore after each round to remove any excess metal left behind by the bullet. I use the BlackHawk Cleaning kit with CLP, which is compact, so I take it with me when I hunt, and I'll clean my rifle as soon as I get back to the truck. I'll lube all the guns about once a month while in storage.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #882

All really good comments here and reflect my approach on just about all accounts.
It's
1. inspect the barrel, regularly, some barrels seem to need cleaning more than others so it's hard to state any "rules" for cleaning. No metal is the same,
no cleaning technique is exactly the same so check things out on a regular
basis, whether you've been to the range or not.
2. establish a routine, it always makes things go faster and your get really
familiar with your gun.
3. Obviously, there are times when a much more complete cleaning is
necessary and that often depends on the ammo used. Some rounds these days seems to leaving more corrosive by-products than others.
4. I found a great flexible inspection light at Costco a while back, lots of extensions so you can really see the condition of the gun, somebody told
me once "to see is to know, to not see is to guess", simple but it's really true.
Get a good light source on what you are doing and you'll do a better job.

Lots of folks here with more time with their guns than I have but this is just
my experience.
Best
Bruce

Old 01-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #883

hmm never thought about it being warm, I have a tactical 18.5 and well I maybe put 5 to 10 rounds thru it about once every two or three months and then clean it when I get a chance

Old 01-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #884

For corrosive ammo, I rise with hot water immediately after getting home. The clean with Hoppes #9. Then a thin coat of Break Free.

For non-corrosive ammo, I just clean with Hoppes and apply a thin coat of Break Free. Either after coming home or before heading out next time.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:59 AM   #885

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

EEZOX is my cleaner Lub, rust protector etc. of choice.?

Old 01-20-2012, 02:19 AM   #886

As stated above, cleaning of firearms depends largely on type, ammo and performance, along with other criteria that may come into play. Over the years, I've found that every rifle is unique and have often compared them to the female gender. You basically have to get to know each of them well enough to know what they like and how to keep them happy.
I have seen rifles that will not shoot on a clean barrel and others that only perform on a clean bore. This is usually related to the age of the bore. One thing is for certain, how you "break in a barrel" is paramount. I highly recommend anyone with a new bore to contact or obtain from any main barrel maker, their recommmended break in procedure. Specifically speaking of Hart, Shilen or Lilja.
I preferr to "lite clean" at the range after every twelve rounds, and a through clean after returning from the range. Breaking in a barrel properly is directly related to ease of cleaning. Following the proper break in procedure, I can throughly clean a bore in less than 12 patches and more like 6 to 8 on a select match stainless bore.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #887

I agree on that one I have a Winchester Model 70 (30.06) that shoots like a champ when she is a little dirty (she is a dirty girl we joke all the time) but on my Savage .308 Tactical she shoot better clean (She's a Lady)

Old 01-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #888

this video is one of the worst cleaning jobs i have ever seen. my guns would NEVER be cleaned with such incompetence. you hardly removed anything from the frame or slide with friggen Q-tips!!! i bet i can run a clean rag over all of the gun and by the time i was done it would be filthy! you can run a rag over ANY of my guns and would find NO RESIDUE AT ALL!!! not to mention you never even TOUCHED the guide rod and spring! dont you think there is crap all over it too??? like i said, this just showed everyone how NOT to clean your guns!!!

Old 01-21-2012, 05:45 AM   #889

Liked 2550 Times on 1455 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterhorse13 View Post
this video is one of the worst cleaning jobs i have ever seen. my guns would NEVER be cleaned with such incompetence. you hardly removed anything from the frame or slide with friggen Q-tips!!! i bet i can run a clean rag over all of the gun and by the time i was done it would be filthy! you can run a rag over ANY of my guns and would find NO RESIDUE AT ALL!!! not to mention you never even TOUCHED the guide rod and spring! dont you think there is crap all over it too??? like i said, this just showed everyone how NOT to clean your guns!!!
Ar, er, WHAT video, doc?

Old 01-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #890

I use a concoction called "Ed's Red" that I made from a recipe off the internet in '09, Quick Scrub lll, and 3 in 1 oil to lubricate. I use an assortment of dry patches, pipe cleaners, Q-tips, and a tooth brush to rub and scrub. I wrap the grips on my GP100's as they are the original wood and rubber and I remove the aftermarket wood grips on my Bersas.

It would be wise to call before coming over...especially at night!

Stand down... In the name of Jesus!!

Last edited by bersa1947; 01-21-2012 at 07:30 AM.