Gun Cleaning Input - Page 88
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #871
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Dang, I gotta write a book!

How?
- Muzzleloaders hot, soapy water, WD40 to pull the last bit of water from cracks and crevices and Breakfree...
- Rimfires, clean everything BUT the bore. Breakfree.
- Centerfires, clean everything. Breakfree.

Really bad crap, Gunscrubber. Really bad jacket fouling, Wipeout. Then, Breakfree.

Clean means clean. No crap, i.e. dirt, dust, lint, wasp nests, rat hair, etc., and no fouling, no rust, no water... When? When needed to function correctly.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Old 01-19-2012, 02:27 AM   #872

I have all Ar15's, in 5.56 and 6.8

1) Insert bore guide
2) Run a patch with CLP down until it comes relatively clean
3) Bolt and BCG are broken down (they are NiB so wiping them down is easy).
4) Remove carbon from tail end of extractor with scraper.
5) Use moly-lithium axle grease after wiping down lightly with CLP. Grease only goes on wear points on extractor and rings
6) Remove the littel carbon fouling inside BCG, then wipe it down with CLP. Use moly-lithium on wear points on BCG (If I had phosphate coated I would mix in a little metal polish)
7) Firing pin, cam and firing pin retainer wiped down and CLP.
8) Reassemble bolt and BCG.
9)Clean out chamber until patches come clean with CLP

When I see accuracy drop off, I will use KG12 to remove some of the copper fouling. I will also remove the flash hider and remove the carbon build up on the crown.
10) Trigger assembly gets wiped down and relubed on wear points with CLP.

That's it.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:47 AM   #873

I generally clean my firearms every time after being fired, and at least once a month if I haven't been able to get to the range that month. As a former Infantry Marine I basically stick to CLP, but I am sure there are other better things

Old 01-19-2012, 03:54 AM   #874

Like many before me on this thread, I am a Marine, and at one point a DI. Was in Vietnam in 67 when the Mattey Mattel was issued. Trust me, every unit I was with cleaned their rifles twice a day, and after every firefight. Shoot Competitively starting in 1958 and still do, although I am no longer competitive.

I clean my guns every time I use them. Every time. Let me emphasize, every time.

A friend of mine tells the story of an endurance match we had driven to in Texas. (1000 rounds in one day with no cleaning or maintenance allowed. I finished second with one of my Kimber Warriors amongst my numerous 1911's. My only jams 2 were due to DFO.)

My story.

We were exhausted and had just finished a really superior steak dinner. Passed out fully dressed on the bed. My buddy tells me I woke up within an hour and cleaned my weapon. He doesn't believe I was awake. I do not remember cleaning the weapon. I clean my weapons with a rag, Q-tips, and these days MPro-7. When on the road most often just use a bore snake, if at home I have brushes, and jigs for my guns. I use TW25 spray grease. I have always preferred grease.

Although I now live in Arizona, I am from Florida and my career in the Corps and two tours in Vietnam convinced me that oil ain't where it's at. I searched long and hard for lube I liked for my reasons. I like the spray on grease. I do use extra oil when necessary, but rarely is that the case. Works fine on my present day carbines and pistols. (Note: Not a single AR family weapon in my house.)

As to the comment about destroying weapons with excessive cleaning, I call BS. Learn how to clean your weapon properly, get the proper tools and JUST DO IT.

Not cleaning your weapon in my opinion, is in the catagory of failing to wash or bath yourself and not changing the oil in your car/truck.

Go figure.

Fred

Semper Fi

"Mindset-Skillset-Toolset" -- Col John Boyd who gave us the "OODA" concept

“To lead untrained men in to war, is to waste them.” - Confucius

“We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality” - Ayn Rand

Stupid should hurt

Old 01-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #875

This is good to see everyone's approach, I was cleaning all 5 guns after shooting, but I ran into a problem doing that I bent some recoil springs and had to wait for 2 1/2 months for parts from the manufacture took many phone calls to get the parts sent, I'll be using some of your input and change my ways to ensure that the guns are always operational!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #876

I guess I am like mark1945 I am retired Military and I clean all my platforms the moment I am done and as my wife complains I am so OCD about it.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #877

Cleaning is just another part of the shooting experience for me so I clean my stainless steel revolvers after each session at the range. Round count never affects my schedule.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #878

Hi
Being a newbie to this site, regarding gun cleaning we all have our views on how we clean and the materials we use to clean would vary, we each have our own favorite oils etc....
But one thing i do believe in as i am sure is the same with others, that being it is an extension of ourselves.... it is a tool to be used whether it be for hunting for food or pleasure or that of defense and self reliance. As such your tools are only as good as you are prepared to cherish and look after them.... so regular maintainance whether it is being used or being stored.. the better you maintain and look after your tools the better and longer their lifespan will be.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #879

Fully agree with gebear that is the way I think about it and one is a Stainless Steel (Taurus Model 66 .357) and I am always cleaning that even after only 20 rounds it was a present form the wife but she has no clue that Stainless needs to be cleaned all the time, she bought me for Christmas a Caspian .45 Commander same issue (Stainless) love the sidearm but right after a session I spend a hour to and hour and half just cleaning and polishing it..Once again the OCD comes in

Old 01-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #880

Shotgun is cleaned after each days use, preferably while still warm.