Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #841
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2186 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 1777

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
AFT ..? ATF .. ? Which is it and what is it ? (sorry acronym's drive me nuts)
GM Dexron III or Ford Mercon II rated automatic transmission fluid.

(Hence" DEX III ATF")

I'm sorry you're not going to be able to pay an arm and a leg for it,

but supermarkets and parts stores only sell it by the quart...

Old 12-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #842

Clean the guns after each use. If I am away hunting I oil and use a bore snake.

I use Otis cleaning fluid along with the Otis kit. Ialso use Rem oil, Hoppes 9 and Gun scrubber. I also sometimes use windex with amonia when shooting my 7.62 x 39 firearms as it neutralizes any corrosive.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #843

I clean after every use. Usually do a "field strip" and clean with "Gun Scrubber", and "Break Free". Then I wipe the gun down with one of those "Silicone Gun and Reel Cloths"...

Old 12-17-2011, 05:22 AM   #844

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default cleaning regiment

With my ruger P95 and SR9c pistols, I clean them after every range trip. Bronze brush then hoppes #9 cotton patch on a jag for the barrel. Repeat untill cotton patch comes out clean. For the frame and slide, I use a nylon brush then CLP breakfree on a cotton patch. Done.

For my saiga ak, Ill run a bronze brush about 15 passes and hoppes #9 on a patch. Then Ill take my boresnake and run it thru about 5 times. Then some more hoppes #9 on a patch. Ill do this a few times ending on a patch with some Hoppes elite oil thru the barrel. The rest is cleaned with a big piece of old teeshirt and some CLP breakfree.

The gas block and tube get hit with some breakfree powder blast and various customized brushes, no oil, it just collects gunk in there.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:28 AM   #845

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantfitz View Post
Clean the guns after each use. If I am away hunting I oil and use a bore snake.

I use Otis cleaning fluid along with the Otis kit. Ialso use Rem oil, Hoppes 9 and Gun scrubber. I also sometimes use windex with amonia when shooting my 7.62 x 39 firearms as it neutralizes any corrosive.
Thats what they say, but I heard from a very reliable source, that plane tap water run thru the gun does the same thing. Since the corrosive salts left behind are salts, they are washed away by plain water. And being windex is 90% water this would make sense. I cant deny straight ammonia may be a little better, water does the same thing though, as long as its washed thru.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:50 AM   #846

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here is how I clean my pistols....

Beware, foreign language...

and here how I clean my Anschuetz520 .22 semi auto rifle

I used to clean after every range trip, but I`m getting a bit lazy. So I am getting a boresnake for x-mas from my kids. Then I can clean the barell right after shooting.....

Also I have found, that accuracy changes positive, the more you shoot. Also when I didn`t clean my pistol after a range trip, the accuracy at the next trip was better, then when I cleaned after shooting.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #847

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Here is how I clean my pistols....

Beware, foreign language...

Reinigen einer CZ75 - YouTube

and here how I clean my Anschuetz520 .22 semi auto rifle

Anschuetz520 Zerlegen und Reinigen - YouTube

I used to clean after every range trip, but I`m getting a bit lazy. So I am getting a boresnake for x-mas from my kids. Then I can clean the barell right after shooting.....

Also I have found, that accuracy changes positive, the more you shoot. Also when I didn`t clean my pistol after a range trip, the accuracy at the next trip was better, then when I cleaned after shooting.
I used to clean all my guns thoroughly after every trip to the shooting range. Then I read where that could actually harm them, so now I clean after about every 3rd or 4th trip.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #848

Default Gun cleaning

I clean all my guns with Hopes #9 solvent. Take an old toothbrush and dip it in #9 and brush all over, especially noticeably dirty spots, and the lips of the magazines. Paper towel the spots I can and Qtips the hard to reach spots to remove the powder I loosened up with the solvent brush.

To clean the barrel of my guns I either run a boresnake down it (if i have one for that caliber) and follow it up with a few dry patches to make sure all the powder is picked up.

If I dont have a snake ... I run a sopping wet (with #9) caliber specific patch down the barrel with a guide rod. Then I use a caliber specific wire brush to loosen up the powder. Them used the rod to pass through dry patches until they come out white.

Pretty standard procedures... Then I makes sure all the solvent is gone again, using a paper towel. Then I put oil on a clean paper towel and lightly coat the barrel and slide etc. And I oil up a Qtip and coat the surfaces that have noticeable wear (slide rails, parts of barrel) and I make sure I don't over oil the spots the gun manuals say not to..

And I clean my CCW after every trip to the range, my .270 every 100 rounds or so or before a trip, and my .22 whenever it seems to be really gummed up.

Hope this helps -

Old 01-01-2012, 04:56 AM   #849

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi guys..I clean my guns after every firing or at least every 3 months of not in use.

I do however, unload then clean the back of my .380 and .357 SIG ankle guns as lint tends to build up on them

I do such every week.

Like some experts have stated. The Revolver is much more forgiving for an ankle piece.

KEV

Serving the CZ and GLOCK community
www.czforum.com www.cz-zone.com
"CZimply The Best!"

Old 01-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #850

I clean them after each trip to the range, using essentially the same products identified several times above. But I like to use a Bore Snake on the barrels. It really works quickly and does an excellent job removing powder residue.