Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #821
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
I've started running a patch of Bore Butter or tranny fluid

every 20 shots or so at the range, to help make home clean-up

easier. DNK if it helps, yet...
Hi, therewolf, I use bore butter for my muzzle loaders but never tried in on my smokeless guns. What really caught my interest is the Transmission fluid. Beside guns I have a hobby of restoring classic cars. I know how much detergents and other cleaning compounds are put into Transmission fluid. I have seen it clean the inside of a rusty can that it was sitting in. Dang I think I will try that Tranny fluid. After all if it had some gun companies name on it's quart bottle it would cost 5 times as much. Thanks for the tip
Sarge

If a man strikes you on the cheek
Being a Christian the only thing you can do
Is to help him up off the ground.
Sarge

Old 12-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #822

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I field strip and clean my pistols after each range trip, and if it's a long session, after each 250 rounds i oil. I am using Break Free, and LUBRI KIT oil and grease. about twice a yr. i do a complete tear down and clean all.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #823

Liked 2437 Times on 1389 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge_257 View Post
Hi, therewolf, I use bore butter for my muzzle loaders but never tried in on my smokeless guns. What really caught my interest is the Transmission fluid. Beside guns I have a hobby of restoring classic cars. I know how much detergents and other cleaning compounds are put into Transmission fluid. I have seen it clean the inside of a rusty can that it was sitting in. Dang I think I will try that Tranny fluid. After all if it had some gun companies name on it's quart bottle it would cost 5 times as much. Thanks for the tip
Sarge
I really like it on SKS and AK moving parts. Wipe off the soot, then with a

tranny fluid soaked rag go over them again. Makes them easy

to clean when you put them away.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #824

I echo Mark on thus one... Except I use Snake Oil for the lube.

Of all the things I lost in Katrina, I miss my mind the most...

Old 12-02-2011, 05:00 AM   #825

Most of my guns are Mosin Nagants that I run Soviet bloc ammo through, so you better believe I clean them after each use: hot water through the barrel, followed by all the standard stuff.

I also clean my other guns after each use, although it may be overkill. My dad, a WWII veteran, drilled it into me until it's automatic. I'd no more put a gun away dirty than I'd put a horse away wet....

Old 12-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #826

Default how the military does it(or is supposed to)

the regulation is that it takes 3 days to clean it. first day right after firing you lube it brush it and do everything to it with CLP(the most amazing cleaner for anything metal) and tobacco pipe cleaners, trust me these little things work really well, and a set of cheap dental tools you can pick up from your local hardware store. 2nd day all that clp you used and all that carbon you didnt get yesterday should be there now, cause gun metal is pourous(sp) when it heats up it soaks all that junk up and you can only get about half of it the first day, so this time use NO clp on the 2nd day, use tooth brushes dental tools and cleaning patches with tobacco pipe cleaners, get it as dry as you can accually. on the third day go get yourself a silicone rag and wipe it down and your gun should be clean if pay attention to detail, i hope this has been of some help and if you have any questions feel free to email me

Old 12-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #827

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by runthrukilla View Post
the regulation is that it takes 3 days to clean it. first day right after firing you lube it brush it and do everything to it with CLP(the most amazing cleaner for anything metal) and tobacco pipe cleaners, trust me these little things work really well, and a set of cheap dental tools you can pick up from your local hardware store. 2nd day all that clp you used and all that carbon you didnt get yesterday should be there now, cause gun metal is pourous(sp) when it heats up it soaks all that junk up and you can only get about half of it the first day, so this time use NO clp on the 2nd day, use tooth brushes dental tools and cleaning patches with tobacco pipe cleaners, get it as dry as you can accually. on the third day go get yourself a silicone rag and wipe it down and your gun should be clean if pay attention to detail, i hope this has been of some help and if you have any questions feel free to email me
A good process. Time consuming, but a good process never the less...

Bill

Old 12-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #828

As I'm not allowed to carry guns for self protection or hunting, I shoot until there's a FTF. Last time I cleaned the H&K P30 was about 1500 rounds ago, still no problem whatsoever. The .45 1911 is somewhat more picky about cleanliness.

But when the guns are used in competition I clean them 2 weeks in advance and put at least a hundred rounds through them afterwards, so I know they'll shoot properly during the match.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #829

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Twilight View Post
As I'm not allowed to carry guns for self protection or hunting,
Not allowed??? I don’t understand, I lived in and around Chicago for 45 years and I carried when I had my family with me. You have to be alive to be in trouble...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no way that anything will be compiled from this 83 page thread. It seems for every gun owner there a different way to clean them...

Over the years I have learned that you can clean and maintain guns with just about anything, using common sense of course.

I think there's definitely categories to gun cleaners...

• Non-cleaners (only cleans 'em when the freeze up)

• Hi-Tech cleaners (buys the latest and greatest, most expensive products on the market)

• Mad scientist cleaners (they have to make up concoctions to work. Ed of “Ed’s Red” being the most famous)

• Generic cleaner (uses a kit from Hoppe’s or Birchwood Casey et cetera)

• Fanatic cleaners (detail strips and cleans if they look at their guns)

• Gadget cleaners (they use sonic cleaners or other contrivances to do the work)

• I found my own way cleaners (I guess like me, a basic cleaning, with inexpensive, simple products, and the hot water thingy when they’re real dirty)

Is there more? Who knows…but they’re all right because the gun(s) is theirs to do with as they see fit.

"REMEMBER – What works for you may not, necessarily, work for me. Keep an open mind!"

Old 12-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #830

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilogulf59 View Post
Not allowed??? I don’t understand, I lived in and around Chicago for 45 years and I carried when I had my family with me. You have to be alive to be in trouble...
I live in europe... Even a speeding ticket could get my -for sporting purpose only- firearms license revoked. We're allowed to have our next of kin to call the coroner, in case of problems.