Gun Cleaning Input - Page 81
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 12:26 AM   #801
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If I shoot them, I clean them. My carry guns get cleaned monthly. If I have not shot a gun in six months, it gets cleaned. I have been using EEZOX for the last 6 months and it has not given me any reason to go to something else.
It really seems to clean well and rust is something that is somewhere where EEZOX does not live. If it is metal, it gets a coating of EEZOX.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #802

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm prior military, and we cleaned the rifles after every trip to the range. I continue to do so to this day, if I don't get to it right after I get home, I get to it the next day so I have something to do.

I use Hoppes cleaning solutions and lubricants on all my firearms. I scrub from the tip of the barrel to buttstock on all the rifles after they've been disassembled, and both pistols get broken down and cleaned thoroughly. And once everything has been scrubbed with a wire brush and solvent, I run a patch through the barrels, wipe down the body and then apply a light coat of oil to prevent any corrosion.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:12 AM   #803

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I clean my guns after every use except for my .22's. I use wipeout for copper and Hoppe's for lead and the rest. Plastic brushes wrapped with brass wool to remove lead. I shoot a lot of cast bullets. The End

Old 11-28-2011, 12:55 AM   #804

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

SOme of the guns I inherited from my grandfather I know havent been cleaned in 40 yrs or better , So when I was off work I took the time to tear them all down and clean them up , I was amazed how much smoother the bolt action, safety and trigger was on them ,, I got a .25 auto from my father that hasnt been cleaned in 50+ yrs first time I fired it it would jam along with every round that I tried to push thru it , after much googling trying to find out how to get the slide off I finally got it cleaned up and its smooth as can be without failure now . I clean all my hand guns every time out unless its just for 20 rounds then It sits until the next outting which is usually no more than a week , My .223 gets a good scrub down after every outting wether its one or 50 , My slug gun goes all season before it gets cleaned but it usually only gets maybe 2 boxs of slugs all season and most of that is checking it first of the season . Different strokes for different folks

Old 11-28-2011, 01:07 AM   #805

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
The data, statistics and information from this thread will be compiled into an FAQ article. Please be as detailed but concise as you can in your response.

-------

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.

How do you clean your guns?

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.

My competition 38Super guns are cleaned oct a week but I use a "Snake" after each shooting.

My Glocks most of which are Fail-Zero get cleaned not so often.

My 22's get a snake run through and Hoppies after each shooting

NRA LIFE Member, GSSF MEMBER, Custom Fusion CCO 9mm & 38 SUPER Race Gun, Nighthawk Lady Hawk 9mm Custom & 38Super, Kimber Pro Aegis II Bobtail, Glock G19 Gen 4, G17, G26 G4, G34, Sig P238,RIA 38 Super, Timber Wolf-AA 22LR, GSG-1911-22LR.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:15 AM   #806

It depends on what I am shooting, where and how much. I have onr\e s&w kit 22 that i shoot until O can not reload it then it gets cleaned. MyML gets a wet patch with every ball and then really cleaned at home.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:40 AM   #807

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default cleaning the gun

I don't clean the gun by taking it apart each time but do take the time to examine everything and wipe out the barrel. After about the third time shooting I then give it a pretty good cleaning. I use militec products for lubricating and sometimes found that copper anti seize is a really good product. The cleaning products I buy from "UniqueTec.com as they're cleaning products are safe around animals and pretty much non toxic. They clean very well. I've read that cleaning the gun as normal everytime you shoot it is undue wear on it.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #808

Liked 2506 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

Anybody else tried brown vinegar to break loose the

barrel schlop?

Old 11-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #809

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Anybody else tried brown vinegar to break loose the

barrel schlop?
Barrel schlop? Is that a technical term?

Big Gay Al
coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
"Of course I carry a gun, you would too if you were called Big Gay Al"

Old 11-29-2011, 02:23 AM   #810

I think that schlop might not be the correct term:

Urban Dictionary: Schlop

dampoo