Gun Cleaning Input - Page 80
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects >

Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #791
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Do not use WD-40 ! It will loosen the parts and mechanisms in your gun ! I used it on a padlock for awhile and the lock fell apart ! WD-40 is mainly for freeing sticky mechanisms and it is not a very good rust inhibitor. Your better off with Break-free or EEZOX !

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 11-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #792

Default Clean guns in sandblaster

This might sound absolutely nuts but hear me out. I started using a benchtop sandblaster they are about $125, and instead of using sand media, I use baking soda. I clean my .22 silencers with it, they come out looking as new as the day they came in without any finish damage. I have taken down SS autos and revolvers and cleaned them like this and they are new looking, cleans off all the carbon buildup and gets into all the knurling and other nooks and crannies. I then rinse them off with a can of brake cleaner, blow the pieces off with compressed air, soak them down in the gun lube of your choice, and again blow that off with compressed air, leaving a film all over, wipe off with a rag where you don't want slippery and reassemble. This will clean out the chamber great but you'll need to run a bore brush and patches through like normal. The baking soda also will not damage blued finishes. I run mine at 40 psi.
Go try it before you post that I am off of my rocker.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #793

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I inherited rifle with a dirty barrel. It's a bad thing in a good way,

it taught me a lesson I'll never forget.

1)Chrome-lined barrels,

2)Don't allow the sun to set on a dirty barrel!

Once the lining inside the barrel is destroyed, it'll

never be clean again...

Old 11-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #794

Deciding when to clean your guns is simple, whenever you want them to be clean. It's a good idea to clean them before firing them if they've not been fired in a while, after you're done firing them.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #795

i clean after evertime i fire my guns, my personal carry i clean every week, unless it gets dirty or i have been sweating. every month to two months i do go thru and a thuro clean all my guns whether fired or not.

my mom and dad taught me you can never have a gun to clean, so it dont bother to clean as often as i do, the fact is i could do it more often and be just as happy

besides being healthy for your firearms, i find it relaxing cleaning my guns

Old 11-08-2011, 12:49 AM   #796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatguns08 View Post
I clean each & every time I shoot a weapon. Do a Hoppes 9 Cleaner, wire bore brush, clean until patch clean. Then light oil Hoppes, CLP, or other gun oil. Clean actions with minor take-down, brush & wipe out, etc., then lite oil. Some gun grease on slides, etc. Rifles & sidearms treated alike unless a real busy next day, but soon as possible. No FTF or malfunctions, except for some occasional ammo misfire, usually .22 cal...old stuff.
( My Dad taught clean-after-shoot, good habits "stick")........."G"
Same here.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:26 AM   #797

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

All newly acquired guns are totally disassembled, cleaned, then oiled.

In the case of old military rifles what I have learned to do is open the breech, plug the bore, then fill the barrel with Hoppes 9, and stand it in a corner for a week. While several have shown this wasn't needed, more than once (Springfields and US M1917s come to mind), at the end of the week when I removed the plug and poured out the contents what came out looked like dark green paint. In such cases I repeated the standing in a corner for a week until something more normal comes out, then I scrub it with a Bronze brush and more Hoppes. Eventually the patches come out clean. Then a light coat of gun oil on a patch followed by a dry patch.

Used pistols get an ultra thourough cleaning. I have an old jewlers ultrasonic tank. I put it outside the house (safety), put 2 or 3 inches of Hoppes 9 in it, remove the grips, disassemble the pistol then put the pistol in the tank, put the lid on the cleaning tank and turn the tank on. Somewhere around 30 minutes the Hoppes will be boiling hot (which is why this is done outside the house). I then fish the pistol out and when it is cooled I give the parts a more normal cleaning and oiling. You would be amazed at the sand and gunk usually sitting on the bottom of the cleaning tank.

When I shoot a firearm I try very hard to clean it thouroughly that day. Sometimes however, such as if it is a hunting weapon and I am going out again with it the next day, rather than stink it up with Hoppes I will simply clean the bore, perhaps with one of those new miracle pre-treated patches, followed by a few dry patches. When the hunt is done though, the gun is completely cleaned, oiled and wiped, before being stored.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #798
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Gun cleaning

I clean my guns after every trip to the range regardless of the number of rounds fired. I clean my carry gun(s) every week even if not fired.

1) field strip
2) Hoppes #9 through barrel from breach on 2 patches
3) dry patches through barrel until clean.
4) wipe parts with cleaning cloth and Hoppes #9
5) wipe parts with Hoppes #9, then wipe clean with dry cloth.
6) light grease on slide rails
7) re-assemble and wipe with lightly oiled cloth to metal parts.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #799

Hopped #9, Breakfree CLP, and a Hopped silicon gun cloth are all you need to keep your guns like new for years. I clean after every use and if I haven't shot the gun in a long time I will clean and lube it to prevent any gumming or varnishing of the petroleum products used. I use breakfree copper cleaning foam on my surplus stuff and clean several times within the first week. I found that the Breakfree loosens hidden gunk and the bores shine after several cleanings. Lastly, any gun that is handled gets a wipe down with a hopped silicone rag prior to going into the safe. I never touch a firearm with bare hands before putting it away for storage. You follow these simple steps and your collection will look like new a long time.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #800

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

One trick I started recently using to clean and lube auto pistols:

1)Field strip-run hoppes and a dry patch thru barrel, then soak it with

hoppes, and set aside.

2)Clean and lube all other parts beside the barrel. Once cleaned,

oil them thickly, and set aside, so the oil can soak in

while you focus on the barrel.

3)Finish cleaning the barrel while the rest of the gun soaks.

4)Wipe down, grease the slides, and reassemble.

5)Cycle the slide a couple times, allow oil to drip off the gun,

wipe down again, and you're done.