Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #761
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
erikthebald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Denver,Colorado
Posts: 115
Default And sometimes

I'll pull a firearm out of my safe and clean it is I'm bored.

__________________

Inventory:
AK-74
M1911-A1
CETME .308 Sporter
Sig SP2022
Ruger 10/22
Hi-Standard Duramatic M-101
H&R 1874 12 Guage
Mosin Nagant M91/30
K-98 Mauser
Ithaca M-66

“It's too easy sometimes to give in to despair, unless, of course, you’re talking about politics, in which case you don't really have any other option.” Mike Littwin

erikthebald is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #762
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
Default

I clean each & every time I shoot a weapon. Do a Hoppes 9 Cleaner, wire bore brush, clean until patch clean. Then light oil Hoppes, CLP, or other gun oil. Clean actions with minor take-down, brush & wipe out, etc., then lite oil. Some gun grease on slides, etc. Rifles & sidearms treated alike unless a real busy next day, but soon as possible. No FTF or malfunctions, except for some occasional ammo misfire, usually .22 cal...old stuff.
( My Dad taught clean-after-shoot, good habits "stick")........."G"

__________________
Gatguns08 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #763
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 237
Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

I clean my guns every time i shoot them and I oil them down with a oily rag every couple months if its ones I havent shot in a while.I use hopes 9 and outers or remoil. If I just shot it I always brush the bore and run patches until clean then run a oily patch down to lightly oil the bore and wipe the out side down with a light oiling.
When hunting I clean the gun every day if I shoot it or not. I run a oily patch down the bore and oil the out side. I usualy carry my rifle in my right hand hunting and leaves and pine needles some some times get down the bore. I also hunt in the rain and snow and the gun gets wet and combined with handleing the gun all day they need cleaning every day of hunting.
Once a year I will tear all my guns down and do deep internal cleaning of the parts you dont see and lightly oil every thing.
I take a can of wd 40 with me when I go plinking with the 10-22 and it gets shot a lot. I use the bulk ammo from walmart the federal stuff and after a couple hundred rounds it gets pretty nasty. I will lock the bolt back and spray hell out of it up into the reciever and chamber until it stops running black work the bolt a few times do it again and reload and shoot it some more. But i clean it when I get home and most of the time I tear it down and clean it.
My dad taught me my cleaning habits the wd 40 I started doing on my own. I spent four years in the army and cleaning a m-16 came easy to me.After field trips the armorer would set up two halves of 55 gallon drums . One was filled with water and a gas burner under it with boiling water. The other was cleaning solvent. We would tear the m-16 down and hang every thing on wire clothes hangers bolt assemblies barrels anyh thing metal. We would dunk them into the boiling water for a couple minutes and it was so hot the parts dried immediately when we took them out then we would walk over and dunk them directly into the cleaning solvent from the motor pool used to clean mecanical parts.
Then we would take them and go over with gun oil and run q tips up into the chambers etc until they were spotless lightly oil the whole guns down in the bore and out side replace the hand guards etc.
I have a nickle model 29 I oil the bore and trigger and hammer but the nickled frame and cylinder i keep a light coat of carnuba wax on.
My shotguns i do like my rifles.

__________________
onenut58 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:20 AM   #764
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pasco Cty.FL
Posts: 6,435
Liked 2393 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

Default

This is probably going to sound crazy,

but I'm starting to depend upon

Dexron III transmission fluid for my pre-lubes, after-lubes,

lubes while still using, barrel lube, etc.

A whole quart costs what you pay for a couple ounces of

the gun oil. I've found it's especially good for AK & SKS

gas pistons,springs, bolts and carriers. Just wipe it on with a rag or q-tip.

Or wipe down the dirty parts with a soaked rag between heavy

cleanings, to get some soot off and add a little lube.

__________________
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #765
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Carson, CA,California
Posts: 132
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenut58 View Post
I clean my guns every time i shoot them and I oil them down with a oily rag every couple months if its ones I havent shot in a while.I use hopes 9 and outers or remoil. If I just shot it I always brush the bore and run patches until clean then run a oily patch down to lightly oil the bore and wipe the out side down with a light oiling.
When hunting I clean the gun every day if I shoot it or not. I run a oily patch down the bore and oil the out side. I usualy carry my rifle in my right hand hunting and leaves and pine needles some some times get down the bore. I also hunt in the rain and snow and the gun gets wet and combined with handleing the gun all day they need cleaning every day of hunting.
Once a year I will tear all my guns down and do deep internal cleaning of the parts you dont see and lightly oil every thing.
I take a can of wd 40 with me when I go plinking with the 10-22 and it gets shot a lot. I use the bulk ammo from walmart the federal stuff and after a couple hundred rounds it gets pretty nasty. I will lock the bolt back and spray hell out of it up into the reciever and chamber until it stops running black work the bolt a few times do it again and reload and shoot it some more. But i clean it when I get home and most of the time I tear it down and clean it.
My dad taught me my cleaning habits the wd 40 I started doing on my own. I spent four years in the army and cleaning a m-16 came easy to me.After field trips the armorer would set up two halves of 55 gallon drums . One was filled with water and a gas burner under it with boiling water. The other was cleaning solvent. We would tear the m-16 down and hang every thing on wire clothes hangers bolt assemblies barrels anyh thing metal. We would dunk them into the boiling water for a couple minutes and it was so hot the parts dried immediately when we took them out then we would walk over and dunk them directly into the cleaning solvent from the motor pool used to clean mecanical parts.
Then we would take them and go over with gun oil and run q tips up into the chambers etc until they were spotless lightly oil the whole guns down in the bore and out side replace the hand guards etc.
I have a nickle model 29 I oil the bore and trigger and hammer but the nickled frame and cylinder i keep a light coat of carnuba wax on.
My shotguns i do like my rifles.
WD-40 stands for Water Dispersant, 40th iteration.

WD-40 isn't a very good lubricant, or metal preservative. However, it is a good penetrant.

Bill
__________________
Stillwater is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:27 AM   #766
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 44
Default

For what your doing with the 22 I would use one of the Gun Scrubber type products

__________________
jh45gun is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:28 AM   #767
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
This is probably going to sound crazy,

but I'm starting to depend upon

Dexron III transmission fluid for my pre-lubes, after-lubes,

lubes while still using, barrel lube, etc.

A whole quart costs what you pay for a couple ounces of

the gun oil. I've found it's especially good for AK & SKS

gas pistons,springs, bolts and carriers. Just wipe it on with a rag or q-tip.

Or wipe down the dirty parts with a soaked rag between heavy

cleanings, to get some soot off and add a little lube.
Well tranny fluid is a big part of the Ed's Red Recipe
__________________
jh45gun is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #768
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 237
Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

I dont use wd 40 as a protectant or lubricant. I use it as a cleaner to get all the gunk out of my 10-22 when I am out plinking with it.As i stated before I tear it down and clean it when i get home. That means all the wd 40 is cleaned off also. If you leave it in it will build up a gunk.It does how ever work as a temprorary lubricant because it has mineral oil in it that is left after the hyrocarbons evaporate and was desighned to protect nuclear missles from corrosion.The kerosean in it mineral spirits and hydrocarbons displace water and evaporate with the water leaving a light film of mineral oil to coat the metal. Wd means water displacement.The 40 means the guy who made the formula got it right on the fortieth try.
I have used tranny fluid over the years to soak old guns in and tools to break down and soften rust.I recently used it on a old model 41 remington single shot that was very rusty to remove some of the rust. I soaked it a week and then used 0000 steel wool.
It will some times break a frozen set of rings free on a engine that has sat for a long time. I have used it a few times over the years.

__________________
onenut58 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:25 AM   #769
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Halifax,Nova Scotia
Posts: 41
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Hi I was told that the main ingredient in wd 40 is fish oil . I clean my guns with break free oil . and so does my gun Smith . I use Sweets gun cleaner to clean the barrel .and never had any problems with any of my Pump action shot guns and I use them a lot around Salt Water .

__________________
TRAPPER1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:21 AM   #770
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Glen Saint Mary,FL.,Florida
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAPPER1 View Post
Hi I was told that the main ingredient in wd 40 is fish oil . I clean my guns with break free oil . and so does my gun Smith . I use Sweets gun cleaner to clean the barrel .and never had any problems with any of my Pump action shot guns and I use them a lot around Salt Water .
Kerosine actually.. Known also as Coal Oil

wPm
__________________
Buffalo11 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Pistol Cleaning - Jag or Loop on Cleaning Rod? bf109 General Handgun Discussion 28 05-10-2012 05:24 PM
Chronograph Input. RMP1394-RLTW Ammunition & Reloading 10 03-09-2012 09:15 PM
some input please. ehfudd General Handgun Discussion 21 10-29-2010 03:43 AM
S&W 645... Input? MoHawk General Handgun Discussion 4 12-21-2009 05:22 PM
RNC wants your input Gramps Politics, Religion and Controversy 7 07-18-2008 05:43 PM