Gun Cleaning Input - Page 74
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #731
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Gun cleaning

I clean my guns at a minimum of once every three months - I can go that long, as I keep them in a gun safe that's humidity controlled, and I make sure they're well oiled before storage. For the most part I use CLP. I used it in the service for 23 years, and grew to trust it.

Of course, I ALWAYS clean 'em after shooting - hunting or target. With special care given to the smokepoles. For them, I use VERY hot, soapy water, followed by CLP.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #732

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default CCW guns

My ccw gun is inspected daily, the exterior brushed with an old tooth brush that has a light coating of synthetic grease, this aids in the removal of dust as well as helps prevent corrosion.
If fired it will be fully stripped, inspected, washed with break parts cleaner (action) lubed with a synthetic, the barrel soaked with a lead / copper remover, cleaned with a copper brush, and oiled before re assembly.

The magazines are also inspected wiped down, and are fully disabled, inspected, cleaned, quarterly.

Safe guns are inspected semi annually, wiped down, and are put back while wearing cotton gloves.

Range guns are always inspected after use, if only a few rounds are cycled then a clean patch is used before storage, as well as a through wipe down.

If however we have cycled say 100 or more rounds then it will get the same treatment as my ccw gun.

I do have a couple of very accurate guns though, and those will get the bore snake every few rounds with a very through cleaning after the day at the range.

Last edited by 2manyhobbies; 10-17-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #733

I clean all my weapons after firing them not matter how many rounds I fired. Being military you come to understand that even when not fired just all the dirt, sand and rain can cause problems. Even the guns in my gun safe's are cleaned every 6 months or so. Peace of mind when I need a weapon to fire, I know it will everytime.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #734

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Varies, depending on the gun.

22 Rimfire, clean when accuracy begins to drop, or fails to feed.

CCW weapon, clean after every firing before carrying.

Large bore pistol- about every 500 rounds, or before prolonged storage.

Large bore rifle- about every 200 rounds, before storage

Shotgun- before end of season storage

EXCEPTION- Corrosive MILSURP ammo or muzzleloaders- clean after every shooting session before storing.

Cleaning products- for corosive ammo or BP, Dawn dish detergent, hot water, Bore Butter.

All others, Hoppes, Gunscrubber spray for actions I do not want to take apart, CLP. Kroil for severe metal fouling. Light grease for certain actions.

Glocks- I don't clean. Just melt with hair dryer, pour into mold, make a new one.
+1-could not agree more

Old 10-18-2011, 12:16 AM   #735

I have gotten to depend on boresnakes and CLP to keep guns clean. I normally clean one after each use.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:52 AM   #736
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 518

I clean my guns after each range trip regardless of how many rounds fired or which firearm was used. Also guns that have not been fired recently lets say a few months or so sitting in the safe, I try to take them out and give them a good cleaning.

As far as how I clean them, I mainly use hoppes number 9, with many patch's and a bore snake for the barrel, if I dont have a bore snake for that caliber I use a cleaning rod and patch's.

Lubriaction, I like to use mobil 1 synthetic oil, I have gotten this idea from this forum and found it to be the coolest lube for a firearm, my guns run so smooth is crazy!

Hope this helps any who have questions.

P.S. On a side note whenever cleaning dont just clean, also inspect all the parts of the firearm to insure safty and function.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 10-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #737

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Having been a pro deer culler and meat hunter here in NZ,I clean my rifles and shotguns etc firstly by stripping down the firearm and then wash the bore with hoppes gun solvent and when the gun patches come out clean I then oil the bore and the rest of the rifle/shotgun etc with a good gun oil. I do this every time I have finished hunting, as well as about every two months. Having a rifle that misfires could have cost a lot of wasted time and loss of money.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:57 AM   #738

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Default gun cleaning

I also clean every gun after every shoot. light oil and then stored. Pistols stored in non-corrosive socks and larger rifles stored in cases with socks on the barrels and around the trigger mechs.

I also run the guns through a quick cleaning before each shoot. You never know the true condition of the weapon until inspection. Better safe than dead or maimed. Maybe it's over kill (no pun) but for me it's the same as checking your sleeping bag before getting in it at night. Even though it's been rolled and stored, I want to see what I'm putting my feet in.

No such thing as a "running start"
NRA, ILE, American Shooter

Old 10-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #739

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

peybella, just a word of warning be carefull that the socks dont cause sweating and start rust on your barrels. Nice to hear from you

Old 10-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #740

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Gun cleaning

Retired military also. clean em every time I shoot em. Use WipeOut, or Barnes CR10