Gun Cleaning Input - Page 72
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 03:30 AM   #711
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Cleaning is based upon inspection, different ammo can shoot clean or be very dirty, as can guns.
Cleaning can be as simple as running a boresnake, or as complex as a full strip n dip, each inspection will determine the details.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:59 AM   #712

Everytime after I use them, frankly it's kinda relaxing and fun to take them apart, clean them and put them back together.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:02 AM   #713

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Depends on what the gun is used for and what time of the year it is.If it is a defensive gun I will clean it after every range trip even if I fire just one round,my .22's i'll clean after 500 rounds,my hunting guns I never clean exept for right before season.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 10-14-2011, 06:41 AM   #714

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I thoroughly clean and oil after each shooting session, no matter the gun or the number of rounds fired. I spend hours cleaning each time running patches and an occasional brush until patches come out clean or the cleanest they're going to be. I do this to prevent rust or corrosion and not so much for fault-free functioning, except for self-defense guns which MUST function. It's a pain in the you-know-what and I'd love for someone to prove to me it's not necessary. It's like having to remove the cylinder heads and clean your engine each time you drive your car. I use Hoppe's No. 9 and Outer's oil.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:03 AM   #715

Default oiler bottles and oiler pens?

I'm still looking for oiler pens (literally looks like a pen) and/or oiler bottles with the long metal needle for tight places.
Has anyone seen a higher quality one?

Old 10-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #716

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I usually bring 3 handguns to the range and shoot them. One Wheel and two semiautos. After every session , I brake out the Hoppes #9, patches, copper brushes and get to work. One gun at a time. 1 st ,copper brush with #9. Run 1 or 2 patches thru then another #9 treatment and more patches. I have a patch with #9 on all the nitches and crevices when powder residue collects and get that cleaned. Then a few patches lubed lightly with my gun oil. I run it thru barrels, cylinders and run a clean, lightly oiled patch over the entire surface of the gun. I apply 'gun grease' on certain moving parts. My semi-auto gets broken down and the pistol is cleaned inside & out much the same way as the revolver.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #717

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdc2co View Post
I'm still looking for oiler pens (literally looks like a pen) and/or oiler bottles with the long metal needle for tight places.
I use a diabetic syringe thin 1" lenth needle. Works great. If you know anyone who uses needles to self inject themselves for a illness, ask them for a used needle. They work great. If you are in a State that does not require a 'script' for needles, get them at a WALMART pharmacy. They're about the cheapest. Get their brand.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:00 AM   #718

I clean my weapons after every trip to the range. Sometimes if I am going consecutive days I will wait. If I fire a lot of rounds, sometimes I will run a patch through the barrel just to clear out some of the residue.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:01 AM   #719

I only clean my 22's when they need it if the accuracy goes south and it takes a lot of rounds to do that. I may run a clean patch through them to get rid of the loose powder fouling but no solvent or oil so the bores are still fouled.

Any thing else as needed.

Only guns I clean after I shoot them are my muzzle loaders and I use Black Powder I tried the substitutes and found them lacking for various reasons.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #720
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdc2co View Post
The last time I saw an oiler pen locally was at a barber and beauty supply store. They use them to oil their clippers and scissors, but I don't know what weight oil is in them. You could also try your local fishing supply store for a reel oiling pen.

They are also available on-line at several different sites. Search "oiler pen"