Gun Cleaning Input - Page 70
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #691
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I clean my guns very infrequently, except for my daily carry duty gun, Glock 22, which I clean every two weeks whether I fire it or not. We get a lot of dust here in the desert and that's one particular gun I don't want to take any chances with.

I clean my other guns after I fire them. Usually within a week.

My Bushmaster 223 is a different story. I have come to believe a little buildup makes the weapon fire a tighter group. Just my theory, no science behind it. When I do clean it (some of you are gonna cringe) I use carb and choke on the bolt, which I fully strip down. I also use carb and choke on the locking lugs at the upper reciever. I then fully clean the weapon and oil the snot out of it. I leave it with a lot of oil for a few hours, wipe the excess off and then put it together. In 9 years I have not had a problem with this weapon. Nothing broke, nothing failed. I do not get carb and choke on any plastic parts such as the foregrips, which I remove before cleaning.

I have taken this shortcut due to the Boot Camp Nightmare of constantly cleaning this thing for hours, and frankly, I have other things to do that are more enjoyable, like work on my Jeep.

IMHO CLP sucks. Of course the smell brings back that whole previously mentioned nightmare thing. I usually use MILTEC

Last edited by polo196; 10-10-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #692

I'm prior Army, I believe in cleaning my guys after every shoot. For me it's a ritual sort of'. I clean when I get home from the range. If I were out in the field and fired my weapon I'd give a quick cleaning at the end of the day as well.

How do I clean a weapon and with what:

For my pistols, I will break down the slide, remove the barrel and spring.

For my rifles(AR's), I break them in half, take the bolt carrier group completely apart, (my M&P 15-22 is cleaned the same way my AR's are), scopes stay in place.

Tools:
Pipe cleaners, rods, brushes, bore snake, Q-tips, Outers bulk cotton patches, Remington Rem Oil, Remington 40-x Bore Cleaner(pistols), Thompson/Center T17 Foaming Bore Cleaner (rifles).

I tend to clean the easy stuff first. For the pistols, I'll clean the barrel first with a brush and bore cleaner, for rifles, I'll hit the bore with foam first, then use the bore snake with liquid 40-x to clean the barrel out. I only run a rod down the barrel of my 22LR or 5.56 to run a cotton pad to clean up whatever carbon remains.

I'll use q-tips and pipe cleaners to hit nooks and cranny's for the springs, trigger group, etc... .

I wipe all visible carbon and use the q-tips and pipe cleaners to get the hard to reach places in the AR, especially the gas tube end in the receiver and the gas key.

Once I'm satisfied things are clean, not so much white glove, but close, I'll give a light oil. When it's range time, I'll wet the rifles and lube the slides on my pistols. Never had a problem in over 20yrs of doing it this way. I usually shoot my guys once a month so I'll check their condition periodically to make sure nothing has the remote chance to pit.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #693

Default Gun Cleaning

I clean after every trip to the range. I field strip, magazine,slide, barrel.
I use Butch's Bore Shine.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:19 AM   #694
jbm

Another ex-military here.
I feel as though I am neglecting something important between the time a gun is fired and it is cleaned. I clean my guns as soon as I get home, or back to "base."

99% of the time, I just use CLP.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #695

Likes Given: 2

Default Gun cleaning

I'm not real sophisticated about this stuff. After I fire a gun, I clean it. I use Outer's gun oil that I've had for probably 20 years. I run cotton patches through the bore after a brass brush. When the patches come out clean and the bore looks shiny I stop. I put some oil on a clean cotton rag and wipe the action, then use another part of the rag without oil on it to take most of the oil off. That's about it.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #696

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSlay View Post
I'm prior Army, I believe in cleaning my guys after every shoot. For me it's a ritual sort of'. I clean when I get home from the range. If I were out in the field and fired my weapon I'd give a quick cleaning at the end of the day as well.

For my rifles(AR's), I break them in half, take the bolt carrier group completely apart, (my M&P 15-22 is cleaned the same way my AR's are), scopes stay in place.

Tools:
Pipe cleaners, rods, brushes, bore snake, Q-tips, Outers bulk cotton patches, Remington Rem Oil, Remington 40-x Bore Cleaner(pistols), Thompson/Center T17 Foaming Bore Cleaner (rifles).

I tend to clean the easy stuff first. For the pistols, I'll clean the barrel first with a brush and bore cleaner, for rifles, I'll hit the bore with foam first, then use the bore snake with liquid 40-x to clean the barrel out. I only run a rod down the barrel of my 22LR or 5.56 to run a cotton pad to clean up whatever carbon remains.

I'll use q-tips and pipe cleaners to hit nooks and cranny's for the springs, trigger group, etc... .

I wipe all visible carbon and use the q-tips and pipe cleaners to get the hard to reach places in the AR, especially the gas tube end in the receiver and the gas key.

Once I'm satisfied things are clean, not so much white glove, but close, I'll give a light oil. When it's range time, I'll wet the rifles and lube the slides on my pistols. Never had a problem in over 20yrs of doing it this way. I usually shoot my guys once a month so I'll check their condition periodically to make sure nothing has the remote chance to pit.
How long does it take you to break down and completely clean your AR?

Old 10-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #697

Breaking down my AR goes in minutes, I'm a bit methodical about where I place things and I'm not on the clock. As for cleaning, once again, I'm never rushed and I actually enjoy that part as well. Gives me a chance to inspect and make sure everything's as it should be. If I've shot a few hundred that day(typical for both), maybe 2 -3 hours total since I take 2 with me every time, and I clean them at the same time, uppers first, lowers second, bolt group last(gives the cleaner time to work).

If you were ARMY or Marine, you'd know we practice going against the clock and also field-stripping in the dark. I do it from time to time just for the practice.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #698

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wish all firearms were as easy to strip/clean as the AR line...

"REMEMBER – What works for you may not, necessarily, work for me. Keep an open mind!"

Old 10-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #699

Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSlay View Post

Tools:

How many guys do you have to clean?

Old 10-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #700

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
How many guys do you have to clean?
guys=rifles for those keeping score