Gun Cleaning Input - Page 68
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects >

Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #671
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I use pretty much use the same regiment as Maninblack83. But use Hoppes No.9 for the barrel with a one piece carbon fiber rod with a nylon brush. Kano Kroil for slides, bolts, frames, receivers etc. I use Q tips, paper towels and a nylon brush to scrub out carbon/debris. Wipe dry with a clean bar type rag before reassembly.

For lubrication of moving parts with metal-metal contact points, I lightly lube with Gun Snot, Booger Buster (Gun Snot™) or Tetra Gun grease that is applied with a sponge stick (looks like a Q tip with a sponge) for slide and frame rails and bolts on semi auto rifles.

Reassemble and wipe down with a terrycloth rag before storing.

I do this every time out.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #672

I clean my 22s once every year or two, unless I do an extended practice session (shoot up a couple boxes worth) -- then, after that session. Most of my 22 shooting is 10 or 20 rounds at a time. Bore swab with Hoppes or equivalent, wipe down all over with silicone cloth.

Revolvers -- once or twice a year, usually after a long practice session. Or, if I have gone hunting and it rains. Method same as 22.

Rifle -- pretty much every time I hunt. Wipe down for sure, just a quick pass on the bore unless I have been shooting a lot.

Shotgun -- pretty much don't unless I have been out in the rain, or I have shot a lot.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #673
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Most centerfire handguns when they appear to need it or the triggers seem heavier than I remember, or if I've been in a dirty environment and carrying. My S&W 22 revolver quite frequently in that it has a "tight" chamber. Centerfire and rimfire rifles a couple of time a year and shotguns the same. Revolvers, I tend to try to pull the side plates once a year minimum.
As of later I've been happy with the foaming bore cleaners. Lubrication. I like Eeezox and if that is not available CLP Breaklfree.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #674

I'm a bit of a cleaning fanatic. I put a bore solvent through after every sesion. If rounds have been fired, it gets a clean.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #675

I clean mine after every time i fire them, plus every six months or so whether that ones been fired or not.

As for what i use, whatever gets them clean, ive even used q-tips for the actions on some of mine

Old 10-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #676

Howdy,
I clean my guns after I fire them which is daily. I spend a lot of time sitting in my back yard and shooting targets or any varmints which are in my fish pond. My cleaning is simple. I clean the bores with a swab soaked in Remington gun oil and spray the exterior with the same oil. To make sure of coverage in tight spots I use a shaving brush. It will really get in small spots such as a tube magazine under a barrel. Then I dry them off with a silicone rag and get ready for the next day. I believe in the Remington oil when I worked for a large sporting goods store that had a fishing reel repair dept. The repair man used the oil on the delicate gears and mechanics of the reels. I asked him about usint WD-40 and he said that it attracted dust like a magnet so the Remington gun oil became a staple on my cleaning bench. Have a goodun!!!!

Old 10-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #677

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howdy View Post
Howdy,
I clean my guns after I fire them which is daily. I spend a lot of time sitting in my back yard and shooting targets or any varmints which are in my fish pond. My cleaning is simple. I clean the bores with a swab soaked in Remington gun oil and spray the exterior with the same oil. To make sure of coverage in tight spots I use a shaving brush. It will really get in small spots such as a tube magazine under a barrel. Then I dry them off with a silicone rag and get ready for the next day. I believe in the Remington oil when I worked for a large sporting goods store that had a fishing reel repair dept. The repair man used the oil on the delicate gears and mechanics of the reels. I asked him about usint WD-40 and he said that it attracted dust like a magnet so the Remington gun oil became a staple on my cleaning bench. Have a goodun!!!!
WD-40 is a water dispersant. Hence, the name WD as in water dispersant; 40 as in fortieth iteration.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #678

Liked 128 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Sorry Sarge!

Just seeing if anyone was paying attention... Won't happen again...

I use Hoppe's 9 Lubricating Oil.

eldarbeast

Old 10-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #679

Default Cleaning

I clean my AK-47 after every trip to the range.

I pull the bolt out and let it soak for several days in solvent. I make several passes through the barrel with a combination cleaner-lubricant-preservative the 1st night, and then continue making several passes each day until I take the bolt out of the solvent.

I clean the gas chamber out at least every other time with solvent. I wipe the gas piston clean by hand. I wipe the bolt carrier clean with a dry pad, and then wipe it down with a pad soaked in combination cleaner-lubricant-preservative.

I swab the receiver clean with a dry pad to begin with, and then go back with a pad soaked with cleaner-lubricant-preservative.

Before I go to the range, and at least once/week--I spray combination cleaner-lubricant-preservative inside the receiver on the rails, on the bolt, and on the bolt carrier.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:50 AM   #680

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1945 View Post
Im retired military so all my guns are cleaned after firing.And a few times each year just to be sure.Its hard to break old habits a clean and properly lubed gun just works better and lasts longer.Several of mine Ive had for 45-50 years and never have a problem with them not functioning properly every time I pull the trigger. I use Hoppes 9 on all of them and Breakaway to lube them after cleaning .

+1 For mark 1945. Old habits that work are hard to change.