Gun Cleaning Input - Page 66
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #651
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I clean mine every other use...The range I shoot at only allows non-jacketed rounds. So it gets pretty dirty. If I fire enough rounds through it, I'll do it, but generally, it's every other outting.

I use a Bore Snake with Hoppes Cleaner and oil. I also use a silicon clothe to wipe the outside. It's only a 22LR, but my next one will probably be a tear down. I will also probably clean it every time, as that will be used for home defense and eventually CC after I "prove" to the county I'm "worthy".

Old 10-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #652

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
The data, statistics and information from this thread will be compiled into an FAQ article. Please be as detailed but concise as you can in your response.

-------

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.

How do you clean your guns?

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.

I clean mine everytime after they have been fired. If I haven't fired them in awhile which is rarely with the exception of my rifles and shotguns during the winter, I will do a light cleaning and inspection once a month. As far as the how: they get broken down, and usually start with a snake through the barrel follwed by a couple of runs with the patches. After that out comes the brush with some Hoppes cleaning or another brand of cleaning product followed by cuetips and tooth picks for those hard to reach places. Once assembled I wipe her down with a lightly coating of CLP (blame it on the Marine Corps it's habit).

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #653

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

I have one rule and only one rule for cleaning my guns. If I don't have the time to clean them after, I ain't shooting them.

I just pretty much use Montana Extreme Bore Cleaner. If I shoot corrosive milsurp I do the hot soapy water flush, first. I also have the Outers Foul Out III cleaning system if I deem it has copper or lead build up. Final passes of Break Free CLP on all the metal.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #654
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I normally clean after every session. Sometimes, if I know that I have a training session coming in the next few days, I might put it off until after the training.

I carry a Colt Officer, 45acp, Magnaported, with full-size mags & X-grips. I clean with a blaster-spray. Lube is SlipStream Weapon Lubricant (oil & grease) from Crusader Weaponry Crusader Weaponry - Home - it is the slickeriest stuff I have found anywhere and it stays put.

C. M. Novess III KGCTJ
NRA Certified Instructor
Executive Firearm Training
Train@ExecutiveCPL.com
Michigan CPL Class : Concealed Pistol License Certification : Concealed Carry Permit : Concealed Weapons Permit : Certification Class : CCW : Pistol Instruction : NRA Instructor : Executive Firearm Training

Old 10-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #655

Default gun cleaning

My usual practice is to clean a gun after I return from the range. This may be overdoing it, but that's what I do.

My procedure is to fill the bore with cleaning foam, let it sit for the recommended time, then swab the bore out with a patch. I follow this up with a brush, then alternate wet and dry patches until a dry patch comes out satisfactorily clean.

I've tried using a bore snake, but just as an experiment, I used one, then used my regular procedure. The bore was as dirty as though I'd never used the bore snake. I don't think they work very well.

I used to use Hoppe's #9, but have switched to MP-7. I think either one does a good job, but I prefer the latter.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #656

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I clean every time they are fired, regardless of the number of rounds, and if accuracy falls off, I will clean during a session. The exception is 22LR where I clean the bore once or twice a year, but wipe down the gun every time I handle it.

Now, everybody has their own favorite products to do each job, and I use to swear by and use a lot of Hoppes #9 for the bore and general cleaning, and WD-40 for lube and wipe down, but I now use Ed's Red--lots cheaper for me and does and excellent all around job. Even better I think than Hoppes on fouling. For real stubborn copper fouling (usually the S&W revolver and/or the 6.5mm Swede) I use Barnes CR10 and a brass brush. I finish with a wet Ed's Red patch down the bore.

I always put a dry patch through the bore before shooting.

Of course, do I even need to write this--if I'm in the rain, or drop one in the mud it gets a thorough bath regardless if shot or not

Old 10-07-2011, 11:48 PM   #657

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGRYcanary View Post
Can I get the recipe for this stuff... EVERYONE loves it and I haven't had the time to try mixing it yet..!
Google it!

Equal parts of ATF, Mineral Spirits, Acetone, & Kerosine.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:57 AM   #658

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Gun Cleaning

What criteria do I use to clean my guns?

They've been fired. All guns are cleaned the day of firing. Old Army Habits.

How do I clean my guns?

Hoppe #9, patches, bore snake, old tooth brushes, pipe cleaners. If there is a nook or cranie we scub until I get cleane patches.

I will use some copper remover if I have shot a lot of jacketed rounds on occassion. Haven't found it to be necessary often.

Light oil on any moving parts and in barrel and a silcone wipe any time it's handled.

Has worked with nary a problem for 45 years.

"Those who would give up essential freedoms for a little temporary safety, deserve neither freedom nor safety." Ben Franklin

NRA Benefactor Life
US Army 1972-1980
TSRA Life;GOA Life

Old 10-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #659

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I own Glock a 32 and 36. Both about a year old still factory oiled and never cleaned. Still both preform like a champ.

If and when I clean it, it'll be a small squeeze of cooper base lube on the rear and a quick punch from the supplied Glock cleaning kit.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #660

Default Clean All Guns--Never leave dirty

I'm a master mechanic. I like to keep things simple. I change my oil when it's dirty (no longer transparent). I clean my guns after every use and inspect all that don't live in the gun safe daily.
I use an Otis #750 cleaning kit, SLP 2000 or RemOil and I like GunSlick cleaning products.
Keep it clean, keep it lubed, shoot often or sell it...
No Excuses, guys. Do it right or do something else.