Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #641
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

My practice, as I was trained as a child, and reinforced in the military, is to clean all firearms after each range visit, as well as preventative cleaning of all firearms I own usually once a month. It might take a while to do, but I've never had a clean well functioning firearm fail to operate properly unless there's a mechanical issue. And regular cleaning insures that you should find any problem before it becomes a mechanical issue.

"A clean gun is a happy gun!"

Old 10-07-2011, 02:29 AM   #642
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1698 Times on 969 Posts
Likes Given: 3474

1. What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

Everytime I return from the range.

2. Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.

I clean the weapon(s) to allow me to check/inspec over the weapon(s).

3. How do you clean your guns?

Blackpowder pistol(s) get fired last and first to cleaned
-They are broken down and cleaned in the kitchen sink, except for the walnut grips stay away from the water.
- Use a little warm water and some dawn.
- Old toothbrush, some Q-tips and cleaning cotton rags (old white T-shirts_
- Lubricate with Bore Butter.

Non-Blackpowder weapon(s) get the cleaning treatment after the coffee is finished brewed.
- Mostly, bore snake for the one that I have a bore snake for the barrel's. The toothbrush and Q-Tips at hand.
Solvent is Hoppe's No. 9 and Hoppes lubricant, I have a few other brands for cleaning and lubricant.

I have a mag light with fiber optic light attachment to look down the barrel and other locations of the weapon(s)

Old 10-07-2011, 03:02 AM   #643

I clean my hd gun after each range session. My AR's I used to clean after 3-400 rounds, but not any more. I clean after each session due to the excessive carbon build up which makes it really tough to clean. I use either CLP or Hoppes no.9 which I prefer due to the aromatic odor. I use a a boresnake for my AR's which helps to cut down on cleaning time.

be nice to the man with the gun, you'd be crazy not to.

i will tell you what you need to hear not what you want to hear.

i'm selling all my handguns. i'm going all in on ar's!

Last edited by ennbee15; 10-07-2011 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old 10-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #644
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 423 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Sorry that I haven't been on site for a while,, computer troubles and some other issues,,, nothing to do with this forum or the members and staff.
I also having been a Jarhead and having a father that was adamant about gun cleaning, normally clean after every range use, oil after every trip in the field, and keep my carry handguns clean at all times. I use many commercial products and an old batch of military rifle bore cleaner that I picked up a very long time ago,, it still cleans well and has not broken down any. Some of the newer products are very convenient although they can get pricey. Field strip all one can, get all the residue out one can, a light film of oil, and I'm set,, no different than most of the folks here, but I do maintain that if you have a CCW, and carry, always make sure that your piece is clean and functioning in the best possible manner. One's life may depend on it's performance, no room for much error there.

Good shooting,
Jeff

Old 10-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #645

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I was asked to drop my input here so, here goes:

The criteria I use for cleaning my carry and duty guns was always:

Clean them EVERY TIME I shot them. Not because they needed to be spotlessly clean, but because it gave me a weekly habitual visual and hands-on inspection time to check for wear, parts integrity, and peace of mind KNOWING my equipment was always ready to save my life if called upon to do so. This habit MAY have saved my life back when I still carried a 1911 on duty. The recoil spring had a small kink in it, and I discovered it while doing my weekly maintenance inspection. I dropped in another spring, and I was good to go.

I fired my duty, back up, and off duty guns every week. It allowed me to remain proficient, and to KNOW the sights were regulated to POA at all times. When you're shooting someone else's ammo (in this case, the department's ammo) it's even more fun.

Contrary to what some believe about the fantastic plastic guns nowadays, they DO need lube to run. They don't need to be drenched, but a few drops on the rails and in the trigger block helps keep them up and running. I like good old fashioned HOPPE'S # 9 for killing crud, and EEZ OX lube. I am pretty simple in my choices of products. Birchwood Casey "Gun Scrubber" is great on steel and alloy framed guns....but the better idea is the electric motor cleaner available at any hardware store...it's the SAME stuff, and about 1/4 the price!

I am not too ashamed to say that it's been about 15,000 rounds since I have cleaned my primary competition pistol (Glock 17 3rd Gen). At most, I give it a few drops of lube, and bang away. I really just want to see how many rounds it will gobble up before I can force a failure. Since I use reloads in competition, and they are dirtier than factory offerings, my hands will literally be blackened and speckled with crud after a match....thus far, no failures of any kind. So, after 15K rounds...the Glock still runs like a champ. I will NOT neglect my CARRY guns in that fashion however, and I suggest you don't either!

Old 10-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #646

I'm with Trip on this one. I clean after every firing session. I use Hoppes #9 for solvent and Remoil (not aerosol variety) for lubrication. I don't fire any corrosive ammo but I think it is important to remember a firearm is a serious investment in many ways. You owe it to yourself and fellow firearm owners to keep your weapon in a clean, functioning, and presentable condition. I would clean any weapon that hasn't been fired in 6 months asap. Although I make sure to take ALL of mine out at some point each year. Even if I don't personally fire them when at the range it gives others the opportunity to fire a few rounds through one they wouldn't have otherwise had the chance.

So far as method: steady pace , meticulous in nature, and moderate amounts (of solvents and lube). Don't go crazy on your finely crafted weapons. They will last longer than us with some good old-fashioned common sense.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #647

Relative newbie but serious about shooting. I don't have money to replace barrels so, with the help of a couple of veteran hunters and military, I've come to use the following regimen:

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

Generally after every shoot. I live in the country and have enough land to safely shoot up to 300 yards at will so I generally go out for 1/2 hour or so per day. I don't have a lot of guns; a .22lr enhanced 10/22 tack driver, a few .22lr pistols, a couple of Glock 9mm, and a new RRA AR15 build up (5.56mm). I shoot either FMJ or FMJHP out of the AR so I experience copper fouling with it.

How do you clean your guns?
Until recently, I'd always used Hoppes 9 for everything and Remington Oil if needed. I generally used a bore snake and found the results satisfactory. However, this was for the 10/22 and .22lr; not much of a challenge.

Then along came the AR. I religiously cleaned with Hoppes and the rifle shot well (16" carbine, free floated barrel). Then a couple of friends and I were sitting around talking and they expressed concern about using only Hoppes for the AR. They said it works fine for carbon and such but not well for copper which is common in AR ammo. One of them gave me a bottle of Montana Extreme Bore Solvent (ammonia based). He also recommended Shooters Choice when I ran out of the Montana (less corrosive, fewer VOCs).

After thoroughly cleaning with Hoppes one day (or so I thought) I then proceeded to clean the AR according to the instructions on the Montana bottle and was astounded at how much copper came out! It took over 100 patches (saturating, waiting, saturating, drying, repeat until done) to finally get it to come clean! So far I can't see any degradation of the rifle (chrome lined barrel) due to pressure build up from fouling and I think I caught it in time. I also finish each cleaning by light (VERY light) oiling the barrel and appropriate other parts and then wipe it down carefully.

Lesson Leaned
I feel much more confident that I'm properly maintaining my firearms. Hope this helps someone else.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #648

GUN GEAR SELF
As a former United States Marine grunt I have had gun,gear,self beat into my head to the point that I still live by this rule today and apply it to every day life. Like mentioned by a few people above it depends on the individual weapon and how often it is used. I do a ONCE A MONTH pm "preventative maintance" cleaning of every gun in my house. As a rule of thumb I clean every weapon right after it is used as soon as I come home from shooting. My CCW, a glock 17 "Gladis" I give a wipe down every day due to the fact that number one my life could depend on this weapon and number two I have noticed if I do not do this it gets lint and what not on it after a while. As far as cleaning goes, I have become a HUGE fan of cheating and useing a boresnake, I love how fast easy and thuro it cleans the barrels. I still use a nylon brush tooth brush over all on the weapon and for hard to remove carbon I have picks and what not that I use from time to time. I usually use hopps number 9 or clp. When cleaning my AR I also like to soak the bolt houseing group while I clean the over all weapon and then clean the bolt housing group by hand and wipe it dry, only to leave a very small amount on it to lube it up. Over all I know I am very OCD with my weapons when it comes to cleaning, saftey, and in general but you should be to, rember your weapon could be called into duty protecting your life, the life of a loved one or even the life of an innocent.
YUT

Old 10-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #649

OK Here's another funny one. I'm watching Three Gun Nation TV show, (love it).... And a competitor has a couple of jams that he blames on a dirty gun, fair enough. The part that tickles me is that, as a competitive/sponsored shooter I would not do a competition with a weapon that has over 3k rounds through it without a cleaning. A couple of hundred I may understand given the circumstances, but 3000 is way too much. I'm just saying ...

RC.

-G26
-G34
It's Better to Burn Out
Than To Fade Away!

Old 10-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #650

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When I clean my firearms.
I clean all my firearms right after I finish shooting and return home. Since I handle my firearms on a daily basis once I finish handling them I wipe them down with a cloth to remove fingerprints and oil from my hands.

How I clean my firearms
For handguns I field strip them first. I then take a toothbrush and brush the inside of the slide to loosen up the fouling. Once that's done I set aside the slide and proceed to take a bore brush and brush the inside of the barrel. Then I take the barrel and put it in a small container and soak it in Ballistol for 30 minutes to an hour. While the barrel soaks I take some dry patches and wipe down the slide. After wipping down the slide I then spray some Ballistol on the inside of the slide and then take some patches and wipe it down. I continue to wipe the slide down until I get clean and dry patches. I set the slide aside and take another toothbrush and brush the inside of the frame. Once that is done I put a tad of Ballistol on the frame where the recoil spring is located and wipe it down until I get clean and dry patches. By this time the barrel should be done soaking. So I take it out of it's container and wipe down the outside of the barrel. Then I proceed to run patches through the barrel until I get dry and clean patches. Once I finish cleaning the barrel I then put a little Ballistol on a patch and run it through the barrel, wipe down the barrel and slide to add a protective coating on it and to leave some lubricant on it.

Moving onto rifles and shotguns. For my one and only shotgun I break everything down except the magazine tube/piston tube. First I run a bore brush through the barrel to loosen everything up. I then soak the barrel and bolt in Ballistol for about half an hour to an hour. While they soak I take a toothbrush and brush the inside of the receiver really well. I then spray Baillstol in the receiver and let it soak for 15 minutes or so. While it soaks I take a toothbrush and brush the trigger mechanism and wipe it down with some dry patches. By this time the receiver should be ready. I then wipe it down with patches until I get clean and dry patches. The barrel and bolt should be done soaking by then. So I take the bolt and wipe it down with patches until I get clean and dry patches. Then I run patches through the barrel until they're clean and dry. I take a patch and spray Ballistol on it and wipe down the entire shotgun except the piston, magazine tube, and stock to add a protective coating and lubricant on it. For rifles I break them down completely, if I know how. I take a toothbrush and brush the inside of the chamber. I then take a bore brush and brush the inside of the barrel. Then I soak the barrel and disassembled bolt in Ballistol for about half an hour to an hour. While they soak I wipe down the magazine and other various parts. Then I take the bolt and wipe down every part until I get clean and dry patches. I then wipe down the inside of the barrel until I get clean and dry patches. If the rifle is semi automatic I wipe down the entire rifle with a patch sprayed generously with Ballistol to add a protective coating and lubrication. I do the same thing for any type of rifle, but for semi automatics I put more Ballistol on the patch.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp