Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #591
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gun Cleaning

My Dad told me never, let the Sun set on a dirty gun.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #592

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I shoot a lot of black powder, they are cleaned as soon as I am done shooting them. Smokeless gets cleaned when they need it. More barrels are worn out from brushes than from bullets.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #593

I have been applying the methods handed down by my dad. These are being taught to my wife, sons and daughters with the same reasoning as that which was given to me. "If you want to shoot it, you need to know how it works and how to clean it to keep it working".

That being said, the kids (2-girls, and 2-boys ages 18 to 11) and I lay the mat down on the dining room table and go through each weapon for inspection before going to the range. This is a simple check for cleanliness. After the range we start with the weapons that got the most use (usually the pistols) and then finish up with the largest bore rifle (the 30-30). All weapons are broken down for cleaning/inspection following every range visit. This is helpful when trying out a new brand of 'discount range ammo' to see how 'dirty' it is and helps with the overall 'firearm' education for my kids.

I follow processes very similar to those listed by both ManInBlack83 and knfxda. I have done all of those steps at one time or another based upon the amount of cleaning required for each weapon.

Personally I have found that the brand of cleaners/oils/grease/etc is personal preference to the shooter/owner and have only one 'favorite' that I use consistently and that is Remington Rem Oil wipes. These are in my gun bag, my cleaning kit and I even keep some in the glove box of my car.

Enjoy your day.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #594

Everything gets cleaned after each shooting.
I don't have a choice for all of the older rifles that use corrosive ammo.
I don't like the idea of even non-corrosive shooting residue possibly drawing moisture to the parts.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #595

Had it drilled in over the years that everytime you sign it out of the armoury it gets cleaned before it goes back in, this carries over to my own guns at home. Side arm carried every day, gets a wipe down once a week or if out in the rain as soon as the shift ends or if I get detailed to indoor duty. Always carry a grab bag with my cleaning kit on board.

Been to many years with the, Weapon, Kit, Person way of doing things

The Government today announced that it will be changing the offical union jack emblem to a condom, this reflects more accurately the Governments political stance. Acondom allows for inflation, halts production, distroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, and gives you a sense of secuity while you're actually being screwed. Trooper 7687 11/01/2011

Old 10-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #596
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1737 Times on 1254 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

Default Don't forget.....

lately I haven't cleaned my guns, not that I haven't had time. But I find that there is one thing that will remove blood from the guns with out a trace....

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 10-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #597

Liked 116 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Default gun cleaning.....

run wet patches with HOPPES #9......Run wire brush.......run HOPPES #9again......run dry patches.....run wet patches with gun-oil........run dry patches.....WIPE DOWN-GUN........BORE SNAKE........Tried it liked-it....but havn't used it sence.............

Old 10-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #598

I clean all weapons every time they are shot.

Clean with disel fuel, run denatured alcohol thru and then oil all parts with remington gun oil.

I try to run a patch down the barrel every month with remington gun oil

The .357 remove rounds and run a patch thru every cylinder

Old 10-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill View Post
I shoot a lot of black powder, they are cleaned as soon as I am done shooting them. Smokeless gets cleaned when they need it. More barrels are worn out from brushes than from bullets.

I'll second that about more being worn out from brushes than bullets.
I also hunt and target shoot BP rifles, so they get it after the shooting session.
If I'm tuckerd out after the shoot I will wait a day or two to clean them. Unless they are wet.Then they get it right then.I think some people just like to look at their purdy guns and this gives them a good excuse to do so without alarming the wife

;) NEVER..... Approach a Horse from the rear, A bull from the front, or a Fool from any direction.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #600

I clean my rimfire once deposits become visible in the action with action blaster and a wipe over with light machine oil. Never bothered to clean the barrel.

I clean the centerfire rifles after 200 rounds or so, I clean the action after each use especially if caught in rain. Barrel gets brush, patches and an oiled patch for storage.
I find action blaster and Tetra gun oil to be good stuff.

I clean the barrel of the shotguns after each use with a bore snake and the actions after 250 rounds.

Each time i use them they get a wipe over with an oilcloth before i put them back in the cabinet.

Last edited by Rockhopper; 10-05-2011 at 04:42 PM.