Gun Cleaning Input - Page 56
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects >

Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #551
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I clean after each trip to the range although it might not be the same day, at least sometime in that same week.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #552

Im former military as well but do not stick to the notion that my gun needs cleaned every time I use it. I think that is kind of ridiculous personally and not needed. I actually think it was more to give us something to do. Undoubtedly though the gun needs cleaning...My primary handgun is a Glock 22 and on the average I clean it about once a month. I say once a month because I go to the range at least once a week and send about 300 rounds down range in an angry manner at paper targets....so about 1000 rounds I am cleaning...If its a light cleaning I simple use extremely hot water or simple brake cleaner sprayed down the barrel and then thoroughly dry and bore snake. If its a total break down, about every 3-4 months I use the same cleaning method and lightly lube slide rails...I have found some argument to my method but I can back it up with experience, time in the field, and time in a war zone...no problems, no mishaps, no jams, no corrosion, and im still alive

Old 10-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #553

I clean my guns every time i go to the range, but i usually shoot anything from 100 to 250 rounds per session. I use hopps # 9 and clp. I ran a patch socked with hopps # 9 and follow up the the brass brush, then with clean patch (es) until no crud remains. then i use clp to lube.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #554

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default gun cleaning

depends on the gun.
Rimfires
run a brush 1st to get the powder out.
patch with Hoppe's # 9 or Ed's red
let soak then brush once more for the lead
wet patch again let set, then dry patch then once again to see if more lead residue if so repeat.
Note for heavy leadi9ng I use a bore cleaner that is no longer available(so I won't name it) that work on anything it was for blackpowder guns. Failing that I break out the Outers Foul-out ll and the appropriate cleaner(lead or copper)
for center fire I use Patch out because it works. I have used sweets 7.62;Montana Extreme;Buthches bore shine; ProShot copper solvent, and many more. I have used JB Bore paste on heavy copper fouled barrels and gotten good results. and of course the aforementioned Outers Foul-out.
I start with a wet patch and run it one way then remove it and run it again for 5-6 times adding a few more drops each trip. I let that sit for 15 or so minutes then run a brush one way. then I run a clean patch and look for any copper residue, if it's there I repeat til it goes away. Had a customers gun is 6mm rem that was so fouled couldn't run a patch on a jag thru it. So i got some 6.5 mm felt pellets by VFG(from Brownell's of course)with some JB bore paste and slowly tapped it thru and followed with a few stokes with a brush till could do the normal cleaning routine.
for handguns I use a brush once foloowed by wet patch, then dry, till bore is shiney and bright. ther could be a book w2ritten on this, and with all the different methods and cleaners (including homemade) it would be two feet thick. Keep 'em clean and keep' em shooting
Bill

Old 10-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #555

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It depends on the gun and how much I've fired it.

Pistols - clean after every use unless I only fire 50 rounds or less. Then every other (I only use quality/fairly clean ammo). Use BC Gun Scrubber, wire bore brush, jag/cloth patch with ProShot Copper solvent, oil with RemOil and or Corrosion X. On concealed carry pistol (I rotate between 2 - 1911's) I will shoot the one I will carry one full mag since the last cleaning and then load it for carry. IE, I don't want a totally clean 1911 for self defense (for first round accuracy).

Shotgun (OU) - Spray out with BC Gun Scrubber and swab with 2 foot bore mop while wet, then with dry 2 foot mop at the vehicle. I do this after every outing. Once home, full cleaning with BC Gun Scrubber, ProShot, then lube and use Corrosion X in bores.

Rifles - Full cleaning after every range session or hunt Same cleaning items as above and as with CC pistol, if I am going to hunt with a rifle, I will take it to the range and fire a few rounds through it before the hunt. I do not want a clean/wet bore for the first shot.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #556

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

I am pretty anal when it comes to my guns. I clean them after everytime at the range or after a day in the field if they need it or not. I like to catch problems before they occur in a place I don't want them to occur and cleaning them after each time out ensures I check them.

How do you clean your guns?
Clean inside the barrel, all internal moving parts and oil the outside metal on the gun so it stays reliable, functional and looking good! I use all Hopps products as they have been tried and true.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #557

Default Gun Cleaning

I clean my guns after every trip to the range or if hunting and the guns been fired it gets cleaned the first chance I get. For my shotguns they get broken down and thouroughly cleaned after about 50 rounds. For handguns they to are cleaned after every range trip, but get broken down as far as possible and totally cleaned after about 500 rounds. My rifles I tend to take down less often, but they are more thouroughly cleaned on a regular basis. Every six months or so I lightly oil the metal with Remoil regardless of the gun's use.

I use a variety of cleaning agents but most often use Hoppes # 9, but for my rifles that have a lot of copper I start with Gunslick Bore Cleaner and end up with a little Remoil. I use Thompson's #13 Bore Cleaner for my muzzle loader. For the actions, I use Remington Action Cleaner whenever I have guns broken down for a thourough cleaning.

I use a gun vise to hold my guns while cleaning and ensure that wood surfaces are covered to prevent chemicals from contacting them. I generally start with a brass brush wrapped with a patch to clean the bores, and switch to a parker-halle jag with a patch for rifles and a cotton bore swab for shotguns. I always use a single piece vinyl covered rod and bore guides especially with my rifles. I also never use bore snakes even though several have been given to me as gifts over the years.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #558

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default cleaning guns

Now I am going to toss something in here just to juice up the discussion.
Do you clean from the muzzle end or the breech end?

Do you really believe that a aluminum cleaning rod is going to wear out a steel rifle or pistol barrel? Or a plastic covered rod?
Sarge
Sarge

Old 10-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #559

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge_257
Now I am going to toss something in here just to juice up the discussion.
Do you clean from the muzzle end or the breech end?

Do you really believe that a aluminum cleaning rod is going to wear out a steel rifle or pistol barrel? Or a plastic covered rod?
Sarge
Always from the breach if I can but with some of my guns its just not poss. Prime example is my 702 plinkster. No way aluminum rods will tear up a barrel bc the steel of the barrel is so much harder than the aluminum. As to plastic covered you woulld be leaving behind plastic fouling so I think its a dumb idea bc if you are cleaning and leaving behind plastic fouling you are defeating the purpose.

Last edited by Marlinman; 10-04-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #560

I clean my guns any time they have been fired. The only exception is that I don't clean my deer rifles once they have been sighted in until the last day of the season, unless it rains.