Gun Cleaning Input - Page 55
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #541
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 355

I don't break them down all the way; creates more wear on pin holes and pins and everything starts to get loose. Also, scrubbing the bolt carrier where the bolt goes in too much can start having the effect of a cylinder hone, and cause gas leakage. better solution to spray it down immediately after use before the carbon hardens, then slightly lube it.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #542

22lr I clean every couple years. Shotguns and pistols within a few days after shooting any rounds through them. Centerfire rifles when I notice accuracy changing.I clean all my guns after hunting season whether used or not (wintertime in WV can be long).

As for method I start with #9 usually, have used other brands and have also used plain hot soapy water which seems to do quite well. I do use only sweets for copper as needed. I use 1 pc rods and nylon brushes only because i am too lazy to change between sweets and whatever other cleaner I am using.

I someday intend to try someof the homemade versions I have read about but have not tried as of yet.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #543

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I usually clean all my guns after every shooting session except the Glock which doesn't seem to care if it's clean or not, It just keeps working. I do clean it after 5 or 6 hundred rounds though unless I'm going to be carrying it, then I clean it before doing so.
The Desert Eagle needs to be kept clean or it doesn't function properly. I clean it with Break Free CLP and leave a thin film on all moving parts. Where ever there's copper as on the gas plunger and barrel, I use S&W Bore Gel. It does a good job on copper.
All the other guns get the bore gel then a good going over with Break Free. I usually do break everything down for cleaning except for the Hi-Point Carbine which is a pain to break down so that gets a good blast with Gun Scrubber. I break it down after 7 or 8 hundred rounds just to be sure.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 10-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #544

Guess there are still those of us from the 'old school' around. My Dad & Granddad would have whipped my ___ if I didn't clean'em after shooting them! On top of that Uncle Sam's largest travel agency (US ARMY) taught me the same thing. Non of mine have let me down in the woods or a 'conflict'. So "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Amazing what 45 years of good old Hoppes 9 will continue to take care of.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #545

Default Varies...

.223 - everytime
my Glocks -about every 100 rounds (inspected each time)
1911 - 100-200 rounds (will run a BoreSnake through it)
.22 - occasionally
.38/.357 revolvers - every two or three uses
AK/SKS - depends on the ammo, but generally only occasionally or when be in for long storage
precision bolt rifles- everytime

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

Old 10-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #546
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I used to clean after every time I shoot.

Now I let it ride for up to a couple hundred rounds unless I used a powder that was extremely dirty. Trick is not to have to much oil to catch dust, powder etc.

Most target shooters use several "fouling" shots (or more) before shooting for score.

I find this to be the case with my results too.

So, unless accuracy drops off without reason, I take the passive approach.

AR Tools
www.edsmetalshop.com

Last edited by RobertsUSA; 10-05-2011 at 04:57 AM.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #547

I clean my guns the same day I've shot them. I use Hoppe's #9 first on the barrel while I clean the rest of the parts. I have toothbrushes I've heated and bent to help clean. Once I've cleaned all the other areas I work on the barrel with brush and patch. Then all is lubed up with BreakFree CLP and making sure not to over oil. On a few areas I often use a very small amount of grease.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #548

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I clean all my guns that I carry immediately and thoroughly. The Gloks prib never need to be cleaned but every other gun I own jams or FTF if I don't.

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 10-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #549

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Well, I'm chiming in on this on a little late. I have to apologize that I have not been spending much time on line lately. I will try to rectify that.

To the question;
I personally clean every gun that I shoot after every session or outing, no matter how many or few rounds that are put through them. The exception are the shotguns I use in the field during bird season. I will run a long mop through the bores when the day is over and detail strip and clean at the end of the season.
Handguns and rifles are detail striped for cleaning and lube only when I feel that they need it, which in my mind, is more than most.

You revolver shooters, that use your revolver for self defense, clean them everytime you shoot them. Remember, it only takes one unburnt granule or flake of powder under the extractor star, or fowling build-up on the face of the cylinder to bind-up the cylinder at the most inopertune time.

Keep your guns clean and well maintained, be safe and stay alive........

Jim..........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 10-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #550

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I clean my centerfires I use with jacketed bullets after every outing. I use industrial strength ammonia in the bores. Nothing else removes as much copper
fouling as ammonia, just don't get it on bluing. I use Remoil in the actions and 3n1 oil for a wipe down. 22's get cleaned when they start having problems. Black powder normally gets cleaned as soon as I'm done but if not then usually within a couple of days and a complete tear down once a year or so. I use hot soapy water with a WD-40 bath followed by Remoil. The bores and chambers get a coating of Bore Butter or my home made lube, they get a final wipe down with 3N1.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php