Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 06:46 AM   #471
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I clean any firearm I shot, the same day, after returning from the range. To me cleaning is almost as much a part of the whole process and I get a great deal of relaxation out of it. There is a big chill factor.

As far as how I go about it.........well, before I get started I usually set up all my cleaning kits, make sure I have enough patches and stuff, spread an old towel on my work table and turn on some music I like.

Then I make sure (again) that all my guns are not loaded.

I take my guns down as far as they go without resorting to any sort of radical disassembly. However,once in a while I will try access the lockwork of my wheel guns, or remove the grips to be able to lube things more efficiently.

I like Break Free, Hoppe's #9 solvent and kits are either Hoppe's, Kleen Bore or Outers. I also have several small wire hand brushes...a brass wire brush and a stiff bristle nylon brush...both with wood or nylon handles....for cleaning any muck from around the face of the cylinder and the muzzle etc. Standard stuff.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #472

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I clean every fire arm that has been taken on the range trip and fired. EVERYTIME

Cleaning is the same as everyone else. Hoppes #9 and scrub a dub dub dub

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Last edited by 2hot2handle; 10-04-2011 at 07:38 AM.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #473

Default My cleaning schedule

.22LR (CZ 512 Semi-auto) every 500 rounds minimum once every month compleet field strip, oil the stock and foregrip

Air (Crosman 1377) I use same schedule but every month is earlier than 500 pellets Only barrel and oil the wallnut grip.

Greetz,

William

"Don't waist ammo, just hit the target!"

Old 10-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #474

I shoot EVERY gun immediately after shooting it. I run a bore snake through the gun a few times and then I field strip the gun. I then run patches with Hoppes no. 9 towards the muzzle with the brush still on. I do this until the patches come out clean. I then run a few dry patches and then one with Rem Oil until the barrel literally squeaks. I brush everything with a dry toothbrush to remove carbon and give everything a light coating of oil. I then wipe down the gun with an oil rag and store. I do this after every outing with every gun.

Guns in the safe get re-oiled every week and given the "once over".

Old 10-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #475

For black powder guns I clean immediately after returning from the range. Other firearms it depends on amount of contaminants. Limited use firearms get checked periodically throughout the year for signs of care.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #476

Default cleaning input

I clean every time they are shot. after each hunting trip and they are wiped down after they are handled , I use Eds Red bore cleaner and rig gun grease and some times shooter or butches bore cleaner and on bp guns hot water and dish soap Keep it simple Al.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #477

I have a very simple process..

use the gun , clean the gun, each and every time..

do not use the gun for a period of time ( + - year ) clean the gun.

not often do I hear of problems due to a clean gun,,,,

clean and oiled...

Old 10-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #478

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I clean each weapon after firing. And every several months if not used.

We cannot play innocents abroad in a world that is not innocent. -Ronald Reagan

Old 10-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #479

I clean my rifle the day before and right after I finish firing it. I keep it in a rifle case until I'm ready to use it. Since I've moved recently, my cleaning supplies are stashed away in a box somewhere. I will say that I have a pull cord cleaning kit instead of the push rod. The way I look at it, it might be better to clean out your barrel pulling your wipe out removing deposits than pushing a rod in that could scratch the bore but then again I'm a novice when it comes to civilian weapons and always want to learn more.

Who says you can't get blood from a stone?
It all depends on how hard you hit them with it.

~me~

Old 10-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #480

I don't like cleaning guns, but if i use em' i clean em', mostly shoot my over under sporting clay gun so thats pretty easy to clean, tornado brush then tico tool to clean bores, wipe down receiver face, sometimes need coppefr brush for that, lubriplate white grease for hinge and contact points, wipe whole thing with oil rag, careful not to over oil, hate to see guns with oil soaking into the wood around the receiver.. 10-22 gets wiped down after use, taken down for thorough cleaning when i cant put rounds through the same hole at 50 yds.