Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 05:02 AM   #461
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cleaning

I clean my guns way to much probably every time im done but that is also because i dont like leaving my guns dirty its a ocd thing lol i use c.l.p and hopes 9 solvent on my guns i also plan on switching product after i.run out but i boight breakfree clp in bulk so yeah thats what i do

Old 10-04-2011, 05:11 AM   #462

Default Gun Cleaning

Q: What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

A: The new to me, but used guns, I always thoroughly clean upon getting them. Thereafter it is, I try really hard to clean them after each use, but only a light cleaning. Usually it ends up a soon as I can, or get around to it, but never longer than 2 months. Unless it's corrosive ammo, then I force myself to clean throughly after each use no matter how many rounds.

Q: Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.

A: Pretty much the same question as the first.

Q: How do you clean your guns?

A: A light cleaning: Breakfree CLP Weapon wipes, and I wipe everything down good. A through cleaning: Breakfree Powder Blast, or Hoppes 9 (I've heard that you don't wand to use the Hoppes on your Nickel Plating). Couple of swipes through the bore with a bronze brush. Preferably the direction that the bullet passes if I can, so that it swabs over the lands and grooves. Then Breakfree CLP and cotton patches down the bore, and wipe it down with either the Breakfree CLP weapon wipes or some more cotton cloths sprayed down with the Breakfree CLP leaving a light film on the metal. And periodically, sparingly, boiled Linseed oil on the stocks. I'm a Firefighter, and it's the only thing approved for wooden Axe handles that does not mess with the integrity of the wood. So why not for my guns? For the semi-auto's some of the thin wheel bearing grease, on the rails.

Q: What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.

A: Seems a habit of asking the same questions over and over.
The products I use are: Breakfree CLP Weapon Wipes, Breakfree CLP Spray, Breakfree Powder Blast/Hoppes 9, cotton patches, Bronze Brushes, Linseed oil, and thin wheel bearing grease (I don't pay alot of attention to brand, just type of grease, and consistency).

Old 10-04-2011, 05:17 AM   #463
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7401 Times on 4276 Posts
Likes Given: 9513

OP asked me to chime in so here you go.

Once was the time I was a professional automotive mechanic and I would bring my guns down to the shop and do a complete strip-down, clean all parts in the dedicated solvent tank, lube up with Tri-Flo, wipe down and take them home for the next time. I had a drawer in my toolbox dedicated to gun cleaning, with Hoppes #9, Tri-Flo and a couple of automotive solvents and lubricants. That was several years ago before I retired from that line of work and my two boys have started into shooting.

These days I take advantage of my two now teenage boys and make gun cleaning into a teaching moment (we also homeschool). After each trip to the range where the boys can bring everything and anything they want, when we get home the boys are to clean everything they have fired (due to the regulations at the range (at least on days the range is open to the public) I must have the boys within reach when they are handling guns, so I do not get to shoot much, if at all. I typically will sit between two benches where the boys are both within reach and they can both shoot at the same time.

The first few trips to the range the boys would load up darned near the whole inventory and do a good job of shooting everything we brought. When we got home and gun-cleaning time (basic bore-brushing, checking for fouling, Hoppes, oil and that sort of thing. Not complete strips.) came around they would clean one or two and sometimes not even that. Anything that they did not clean was not available for them to shoot at the next trip to the range. If they had not cleaned anything on the previous trip to the range they could not shoot anything on the next one. Get the idea? (I would do the cleaning they failed to do, but only after they had obviously bailed on me).

This evolved into where they would not bring as many different guns to the range (so they didn't have to clean as many but could shoot just as much as they wanted). Then they started wanting to learn how to fully strip down what they were shooting and it evolved into a lesson on how their favorite guns are taken down and reassembled, not to mention the importance of having a clean bench so when that spring goes a'flyin' you can find it. Then they wanted to work on some of the other guns in the inventory. Mistakes have been made on re-assembly but nothing of any consequence. We lost a grip screw for the Blackhawk and perhaps one other part, plus a good lesson on the .22/45 where you have to get the right "English" on re-assembly to get the spring to align properly. That was a fun day. The two boys competing with each other on stripping and re-assembling the .22/45.

The other day one of the boys went rabbit hunting with his new Savage .17 HMR. I heard two shots, spaced by several minutes. When he came back he had two rabbits (both head shots) and he mentioned that he had had to manually extract both casings, I just shrugged and said little if nothing at all. Later that morning we were invited to the range and he had the same problem. I took a look at it and he had re-assembled the extractors with the retaining spring reversed. I told him the bolt was incorrectly assembled and he needed to fix it and handed it back to him. He figured out what he had done wrong and did fix it.

So as far as what I do and how, it depends.

I have a case of Hoppes #9 in stock (OK, I have a full case less one or two bottles. They make great gifts and you can never have too much on hand if the price is right!). I have Kroil in a gallon container, I have Tri-Flo, WD-40, Boshield, Carb clean and brake clean (no particular favorites there) Bore Brushes for .30, .22, .17, .40, .223 among others and innumerable toothbrushes, bore brushes, rags, lights, etc. etc.. You can never have too many cleaning tools. But what I really want is another solvent tank. That cleaning tool was the best. I wish I had a solvent tank for long rifles.

The Stainless guns, like the Mini14, or the GP100 I will only strip down completely after many rounds and or a failure to cycle (which has not yet happened). I would do the same for the Glock but for the fact that it is one of my home defense guns so it gets cleaned and lubed every time.

I never use corrosive ammo. Mostly reloads.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #464

i use a bore snake,have several for differant calibers, and butches bore shine, and remington oil,

for my ruger standard auto .22 pistol... i NEVER take it apart, i just wash it down with brake cleaner, and WD-40.. shoot 1000 rounds, repete.

peabody

Old 10-04-2011, 05:41 AM   #465

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?Is it dirty? Can you see carbon build-up? Is it still working? I test my guns. I run them as dirty as they will run when they are new. I like to know when/if they will fail. I'm not a fan of cleaning to clean. I have a lot of guns. If they don't need cleaned; they don't get cleaned. When you own 50-60 and enjoy shooting them you learn quickly that just because you take it out to inspect and function check that doesn't make it dirty. You can make all your toys nice and shiny or you can go shoot them. Cleaning products and ammo both cost money. I would rather spend mine on ammo.

Service guns? I clean my M9 almost every day just because it's windy here and it gets dirt in the barrel daily. I carry in a Kolbeson over here and I've noticed I get quite a bit of dirt in the barrel. My M4 gets cleaned every time it goes out.

How do you clean your guns?
Hoppe's, Remington and home-made equipment. I also have an ultra-sonic but it costs more to keep it stocked than it's worth to be honest.

Everything passes the compressor and a chuck for general cleaning before coming in the house. I use Hoppe's #9 and a bore snake in every barrel I own. Actions and other pieces get #9 and an old tooth or wire brush if it's that bad. Actions soak in #9, if they can, then get the air again after they get shaken out. Once I'm done with the solvent, they get wiped down and stored dry. I oil before use.

ARs are the worst. The lock and chamber are a real PITA to clean. Mine stand on their muzzle, with a cap or electric tape sealing them, and get filled with #9. This helps clean the gas tube and chamber as well. I let them sit for a few minutes to a few hours depending on what else I have to do. I use a small tube/straw chuck to blow out the gas tube after I dump.

Bolts and some action pieces get some additional work when they need it. I make some soft scrapers with old hangers. Cut them to a length you like, bend them to reach where you need them, and hammer them to the point you need to get what you need scraped off.

Josh-US Army EOD (Bomb Squad)
Plenty of firearms and ammo.
A couple diesels sitting around.
Lots of learning to be done!!

Lifetime NRA Member

Old 10-04-2011, 06:19 AM   #466

Default Gun Cleaning

I clean my guns every time I go to the range, regardless of the number of shots I take. I am a firm believer that cleanliness is paramount for the proper and reliable function of a rifle/handgun.

For my handguns,
[*]Desassemble and visually inspect the hand gun for noticable issues. ie ''sliding roll pins[*]clean the slide and lower reciever with M-Pro 7 gun cleaner[*]I use a Redi-Bore cleaning tool for cleaning of the barrel[*]wipe excess cleaner off all, lightly oil with M-Pro 7 lubricant [*]Re-assemble

The Redi-Bore cleaning tool is a great way to insure sufficient scrubbing of the barrel with a wire brush without having to worry about the cleaning rod contacting the rifling. Also I have found no cleaner way to scrub the barrel, I hated having that mess flung all over the place when I was cleaning.

For my rifles, i use the same process minus the Redi-Bore. If there is debris that i can see when i start it is gone when im done.

I also pay close attention to the chamber and shoulder of the chamber. Debris built up in this area is a leading cause for failure to feed and failure to eject the bullet or shell. A Bore Snake does not satisfy me in this area of cleaning, its ok for me in the field on range day but not my primary cleaning method.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #467

I clean using hoppes #9 after the range. A quick lude and then stored. I also check each of my guns once a month for any issues.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:33 AM   #468

I have never cleaned my guns. I Judy bought a 17 and put 150 rds through it. I am ready to order a cleaning kit now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe

Old 10-04-2011, 06:40 AM   #469

Liked 861 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joegolf
I have never cleaned my guns. I Judy bought a 17 and put 150 rds through it. I am ready to order a cleaning kit now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe
Build your own based on your needs. Make sure you have good oils, solvents, brushes, rods-preferably one piece, and dont over look common house hold stuff like q-tips and toothpicks. Other household stuff to keep in mind is ajax, dish soap, rubbing alcohol, windex, baking soda/vinegar, and lighter fluid if u own a stainless barrel

Old 10-04-2011, 06:42 AM   #470

Well it is quite simple! I have lots of money in my guns. I clean them with in 2 days after use. Regaurdless of the round count. If they was fired once they get cleaned. If they happen to be my truck, house or carry guns they get cleaned and oiled every month even with out use! I learned this in the corps and it has served me very well.