Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 03:22 AM   #431
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I clean my weapon every time I fire them or four times a year if they are not fired.
I use Hoppes #9 Break-free CPL I like spray brake or carburetor cleaner I have also used electrical contact cleaner on triggers I don't want to disassemble. I like krol oil or remoil for lubricating.
It's been a long time since I've fired any corrosive ammo. When I did, I have US Army bore cleaner from WW-2 that is nasty but work well I also use hot water and Drawn dish washing soap for Black powder. I like to use Diesel fuel if I'm cleaning weapons stored in cosmolene, I have also used a pressure washer.
Joe-R

Fast is fine but accuracy is final. You must learn to be slow in a hurry!
Wyatt Earp

Old 10-04-2011, 03:22 AM   #432

Every time my guns get fired no matter how many rounds they get a few swipes with a Hoppes Boresnake Viper with a bit of solvent, field strip and quick wipe down of powder residue and a light lube (take less than 5 minutes). Then every couple outings I'll do a deeper clean and take at least a half hour to get a more thorough job done and get every speck of yucky out and lube according to manufacturer recommendations. Personally I enjoy cleaning my guns and take pride in keeping them clean, though I don't wanna overdo it and strip out all the lube every time. Preferred cleaning and lubrication products consist of the Hoppes Elite line and it's done great for me with thousands of rounds mostly through my M&P9 and Mini 14.

Last edited by MikeyIdaho; 10-04-2011 at 03:26 AM.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:26 AM   #433
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Cleaning

I usually clean up after shooting. Whether it be 1 round, 1 box or 1 case. Clean and lube! However, during prolonged shooting(match or class) I might have to clean and lube or just lube, when I get a lull in action. A good way to tell is when you notice a distinct change in functioning of the weapon. I used to use CLP. Now I use the Slip2000 product line.
It was sooooooo hard to change...................

Old 10-04-2011, 03:40 AM   #434

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Try to clean within a couple days of last range visit if I didn't get to clean at the range. I may skip a cleaning session if I know I'm going to be shooting again in a couple days. Exception being lacquer coated steel or corrosive ammo.

I just try to clean the dirt and burnt powder off, run a couple patches with solvent down the barrel, then a light coat of oil down the barrel and on the moving parts.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .

Old 10-04-2011, 03:41 AM   #435

Good luck building a Gun Cleaning Tip Guide. So many tips, so little paper

I have one Pistol. A Springfield Armory Ultra Compact SS 1911 45ACP

I clean it after ever 2 sessions. 1st when it is clean, Duh! and the 2nd to ensure it works flawlessly even when dirty.

Otis Cleaning Kit tools, CLP and Slide Guide.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf " Navy Seals

Old 10-04-2011, 03:44 AM   #436

Get my son to do it!

Old 10-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #437

Default Gun cleaning

It depends on ammo and conditions during shooting.
Corrosive mil surplus = clean after every use, try to stay away from that stuff.
Standard ammo and dry shooting enviro, I'll let it go to about 500 rounds with the AR and AK platforms. The bolt action hunting and target weapons, I make it a habit to wipe them down with the oil sock and run a boresnake though once or twice after every use.
If the shooting enviro is wet then everything coming back gets cleaned and "socked".
Service sidearm gets cleaned and lubricated to specs completely after every use and gets a wipe down with the oil sock daily.
For the family heirlooms, as they are fairly expensive and have even more value to me than money, they get cleaned after each use and get the oil sock pretty much every time I have occasion to open the safe.
Products I like to use include Hoppes #9 solvent, hoppes gun oil (saturated on an old cotton sock). I have discovered Boresnakes work very well. I have been using them on my longs for some time now.
Happy shooting everyone.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:47 AM   #438

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I clean everytime I come home from the range. (Very often I know)
I run a patch of solvent through the barrel and let it sit for a couple of minutes then I run two dry patches then one wet patch and repeat until clean; when that is done I put lube on all the moving parts and rust preventative on all the metal parts.
I use good old Hoppes #9.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:47 AM   #439

Default criteria for gun cleaning

Most of the range guns I use are mil relics so a lot of the ammunition I shoot is mil-surp. I usually field strip at the range, pour Windex down the bore and run at least one dry patch down the bore followed by some Hoppe's on a wet patch, followed by another dry patch. Then when I get home I do the Ed's Red and light oil. Works for me.

glitch

Old 10-04-2011, 03:48 AM   #440

Clean after every session to the range or if weapon is used.

I will also clean if weapon has been in a dusty condition, blowing dirt etc.
Also will clean weapon if it has not been used in 4 to 6 weeks.