Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 01:40 AM   #391
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Every range session.
Boresnakes, brass brushes, patches until clean and dry.
Hoppes and Mil Pro....

Old 10-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #392

For years, or perhaps I should say decades, I have used nothing more than Hoppe's #9 on all my firearms, as a first cleaning step.

Once I then throw clean patches through the barrels, and see clean soft Towels, Kleenex, and yes, even Q-Tips, I feel then I'm fine to move onto the next step.

As a wipe down product, I have commonly used for many years, nothing but Beeman MP-5 Metalophillic Oil-Preservative, and have been very pleased with this product all along.

As I understand it, this identical product was once, or still is alternately named? I see Beeman no longer appears to sell this product direct, but Pyramid Air Rifles appears to have the same product now on hand. For storage, this product has treated me well. For Pivot Points, Cylinder Pins, and other moving parts, I have often used nothing more than Hoppes Lubricating Oil, which I'm sure is nothing more than Mineral Oil.

For fine stocks, particularly those of a high gloss finish, I recently bought a small Jar or Renissance Wax. While not cheap, this product works exceptionally well, is a high purity Carnauba, is suggested to be used on Knives, Guns, Metal, Wood, Artwork, Paintings, and is commonly used by many Museums around the world. Great product. Mark

Last edited by Markd51; 10-04-2011 at 01:46 AM.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #393
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 137 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 149

I clean mine every 3 months if not fired and after every firing session. I first run a brush with Breakfree CLP through the bore followed by dry patch then a damp patch till clean leaving a slight film in the bore. on revolvers that have fired lead rounds I put a brass brush in a short rod & chuck it into a small battery powered drill and run the brush with breakfree back & forth in the cylinder holes to loosen the lead then finish with patches. Also wipe the exterior surfaces with Breakfree CLP. Sometimes it turns into quite a session.

Supplies: Breakfree CLP, Large & Small Patches, Q Tips, Pipe Cleaners. Brass bore & toothbrushes, Towel to clean on, Good bore light.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Last edited by armsmaster270; 10-04-2011 at 01:49 AM.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:46 AM   #394

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
The data, statistics and information from this thread will be compiled into an FAQ article. Please be as detailed but concise as you can in your response.

-------

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.

I clean under three main conditions:
1) If I am testing a new cast bullet, I at least brush out the barrel after shooting to determine degree of any leading. Will then clean out any leading.
2) If accuracy drops or there is a failure to feed (rare).
3) If I am switching from lead to jacketed or vice versa.
Also, will clean if I feel like it.

How do you clean your guns?

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.
Disassemble and soak barrel in Hoppe's #9. Remove firing pin and clean the slide with toothbrush and Hoppe's #9. Spray off with cleaner/degreaser, including the firing pin hole.
Remove grips and brush off frame with toothbrush and Hoppe's #9. Spray with cleaner/degreaser.
Remove barrel from soak and brush barrel. Wipe with patch and Hoppe's #9. Wipe with clean patch.
If I have been using jacketed bullets, I run a patch and Montana Copper Killer followed by a dry patch. I run another patch with Copper Killer. If there is still copper, I use my Foul-Out III to thoroughly clean the barrel out.
If I have been shooting lead, I use a brush wrapped with some Chore Boy Copper Scrubber and soaked with Hoppe's #9. After several brush-throughs, run a Hoppe's #9 patch followed by a dry patch. If there is still lead, I use my Foul-Out III to thoroughly clean the barrel out.
I put a LITTLE grease on the barrel around the muzzle and barrel lugs. I put a drop of Rem Oil on the hammer. I "might" put a drop of oil or a spot of grease on the slide rails.
I have never understood the "run your 1911 wet" mind set. My guns would simply "gum up" from the amount of lube I read some people use.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:48 AM   #395

Likes Given: 1

Default Gun cleaning

OK here goes 22- annual
CCW- after shooting gun scrub, brush, patch as needed CRC-556
C&R- after shooting Sweet's, CR10, then follow above
AR- same as CCW with Gunzilla on BCG

Old 10-04-2011, 01:50 AM   #396

When the family gets done shooting we swab the barrel while still slightly warm after a shot of bore cleaner. My carry weapon is cleaned after every time I shoot, mainly because when I get to shoot I send a lot of lead down range. AR is cleaned soon after shooting. I let it go once and it was a pain to get all the carbon off. Shot gun (pump) I clean at the end of season. I do keep it wiped down to prevent rusting. Long rifle gets a good going over like my AR. What I own is not expensive but it is reliable, predictable and accurate. Cleaning products is the usual. Hopes, gun scrubber. I did however get my wife to get me an IM needle from work so I could get the oil where I want it. That has saved me time and patience. For the most part cleaning is as much a family affair as shooting. Kids range from 7 to 3. Each has their particular role to play.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:52 AM   #397

I clean after each shooting if I can and just use CLP and Rem Oil with a bore snake on all of my guns. Then I check the barrel for any corrosion or hot spots....if needed I bore snake it ....and if I have to I'll run a brush though it.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #398

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku
The data, statistics and information from this thread will be compiled into an FAQ article. Please be as detailed but concise as you can in your response.

-------

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.

How do you clean your guns?

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.
I "wipe it down" after hunting regardless of whether or not it was fired due to the moisture in the air. After every range visit, I run the bore snake thru it a couple times.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:58 AM   #399

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'm prior service as well and mostly shoot AR15s and a M&P9. I don't have a stringent cleaning schedule, it could be 1k rounds or 100 rounds.

Over cleaning isn't necessary and may cause expedited ware.

Check out Filthy 14.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:00 AM   #400

I clean my firearms immediately after firing them when I get home from the range, etc. I usually also wipe clean and re-oil about every month. I do not, however, scrub the barrel every month. I only clean the barrels after I fire.

As far as cleaners, I use: Hoppes solvent for cleaning, and hoppes oil for oiling. I sometimes use breakfree to clean and lube for really stubborn deposits.

CAUTION: Breakfree CLP spray on bore cleaner WILL DAMAGE the plastics on your firearms. Never, ever use this on the plastics. I made this mistake and now have some permanent finger prints on the lower receiver of my pistol. Before the flaming begins, yes, I should have been more careful. Me and a few buddies were cleaning our guns after a day in the desert, and I grabbed this stuff not paying attention. I saw the name CLP and thought it would be safe. It wasn't.

Cheers!