Gun Cleaning Input - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
The data, statistics and information from this thread will be compiled into an FAQ article. Please be as detailed but concise as you can in your response.

-------

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.

How do you clean your guns?

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.

I clean when the gun fails functionally or fails to deliver it 's acuracy

I use Eds Red for all my cast bullet guns and Hoppe's Elie for any jacketed bullet guns till patches come out free of color
yodar

Old 10-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #32

1) Clean 'em after use. A couple of stabs in the bore with #9 followed by a patch or two.
Depending on the gun, will either strip and dip, or wipe and go. Oil lightly, wipe and store.

2) Stored (under the pillow - in the jockey box - on the hip) will clean as needed. Dusty conditions or wet, including sweat, will see more attention.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I clean after every shoot. The completeness depends on the gun. Handguns get taken down and a brush with Hoppes is run through the barrel a couple of times, then I spray the action and inside grip on semi autos with Winchester break whatever (like brake clean). I let that area dry by evaporation, while I run a Hoppes patch through the barrel. I run a couple of dry patches and finally run a patch with RemOil down the barrel and I wipe the barrel with RemOil. I put a dab of wheel bearing grease on the center slide rail of the slide.

On rifles and shotguns, I run a brush with hoppes down the barrel, spray the action with Winchester solution, then run a couple of hoppes patches down the barrel. Finally, I run a couple dry patches down the barrel and a patch with RemOil on it. I also spray a light coat of RemOil in the action. Once a year, I break down the action and clean the whole gun well, oiling it lightly before re-assembly.

I have come to really like Hoppes Bore Snakes and have a couple so far. They are fast and do a great job.

Dave

Old 10-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #34

I clean the firearm when I get home after the shooting session. With a .22 the cleaning will be less detailed but I will still wipe it down, put a patch through the bore and if a semi auto maybe lube.

To clean I will brush (copper/bronze/nylon) dry then put a dry patch through
Then using Hoppes Elite give a couple of quick squirts down the bore and then follow up with a wet patch and then a series of dry patches . For the body of the gun I use patches , old T shirt and 'toothbrush' to clean away the visible fouling. I only use solvent on the frame when the fouling is difficult to remove and then very sparingly and usually on a patch. For the difficult to get at areas Q Tips from the dollar store (they are wound tighter and last longer than the expensive ones) and bamboo scewers with the end at a point or cut to a chisel shape.

When the gun is clean I will lube with FP10.

Recently I have been trying Gunzilla's cleaning product and Gun Butter and they appear to work well.

NB

Old 10-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
The data, statistics and information from this thread will be compiled into an FAQ article. Please be as detailed but concise as you can in your response.

-------

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.

It was my habit to burn about 300 rds./week at the range and clean any guns used that evening. I do not like a fired weapon sitting long before it gets cleaned.

How do you clean your guns?

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.
Primis Brake cleaner from Wallyworld, sometimes copper solvents or powder deposit dissolver but first I like to soak the metal parts in mineral spirits.

I'm after a clean gun lightly oiled inside & out but the "out" gets wiped almost dry.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #36

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thorough cleaning after corrosive ammo; patches at range using some ancient WWII military bore cleaner - white milky junk, shake thoroughly before use. Then follow-up with Hoppes once I'm back home.

After non-corrosive shooting - usually when the guns are so filthy they malfunction.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #37

Liked 1584 Times on 950 Posts
Likes Given: 358

I clean my rimfires rarely. Shotguns, I run a mop with a little clp and rarely take it down to the action. Centerfire pistols and revolvers, if firing modern ammo, I will clean after shooting by running a little #9 on a patch, then a dry patch, then a patch with a little CLP. I do give a little more attention to revolvers than autos, and pay attention to the forcing cone. I will take the pistols and revolvers down to the last spring and screw about once a year for inspection and detail cleaning.

High-power rifles I clean, after firing, with bore brush, #9, and CLP with yearly complete disassembly and detail cleaning.

I shoot Mosin Nagant rifles often, and with surplus ammo. With these, I saturate the barrel with windex before leaving the range. As soon as I get home I boil a half-gallon of water with a little dish washing liquid. I disassemble the rifle, drop all of the small parts into the bottom of my "gun collendar" and put that in my big "gun boiler". When the water boils I pour all of it, slowly, down the barrel, using the chamber for a funnel. The water I pour through goes into the collendar/boiler where the small parts are waiting.

When the barrel and small parts (bayonet included if it was attached when firing) are removed from the boiling water they dry almost instantly.

I then disassemble the bolt and magazine and scrub them with #9 and brush and patch the bore and chamber until the patches come out clean. (or on the worst bores, light grey) I probably over-do all of the parts with CLP then wipe them down with a clean cloth before reassembly.

While it is disassembled, I also wipe down the stock,lightly, with a good quality, non-wax furniture polish.

This may be over-kill, and purist may not like the furniture polish, but all of my Mosin Nagants are in as good or better shape now then when I got them, and I don't mind the work.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #38

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I started cleanign my pistols after every time shooting. No matter if 25 rounds, 50 round or 100 rounds wentr thorough them at the range.

I kind of came off of that. Why?
Well, as I only shot at the range for competition, CCW is no issue here in germany, I have found, that the accuracy gets better, when the psitol has some crudd and so in it.
I am not talking about the pistol being filthy, but I skip one or two cleans.

But, when clean them, it is pretty simple.

I dissasemble the pistol, spray gun oil into the barrell and lay it asside to soak.
I don`t believe in vodoo gun oil, so I just take what I have. At the moment that is Brunox!
While the barrell is soaking in oil to remove and loosen all the crudd in it, I take some Q-Tipps and remove any old oil from the rails.
Then I spray some gun oil on a few Q-Tipps and wipe the rails and inside of the frame and slide.

Having done that, I take the barrell and run a copper bore brush through it four to five times. Then a nylon bore brush a few times.
After that I take either a felt bore rod or some cotton waste to remove the loosened dirt.

Now I use an old tooth brush to remove any dirt from the outer barrell and wipe it down with a cotton cloth.

Done that, I wipe the frame and sllide and remove all the dirt.

o.k. now I take some Tetra Gun Grease and squirt that into the slide rales and also spread it onto the outer barrell.

Now I reassemble the pistol, move the slide a few times opend and closed and remove any gun grease, that comes out of the rails now.

Give the gun a quick wipe down to remove any fingerprints or additional spots on the frame and put into the vault.

That`s it!

Old 10-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #39

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Cleanliness is next to Godliness....

I clean my weapons right after firing them. Which is kind of a pain after a few hours at the range, since I tend to take a lot of guns and shoot all I take! But I get a guilty conscience if I don't clean them after getting back home. Mom always taught me, if I make a mess to clean it up - and that's my guideline to cleaning firearms.
I use a commercial gun cleaner such as PowderBlast or the like, then follow up with a liberal application of BD SuperLube. I buy it at the gun shows. Its a purple
cleaner/lube/preservative that has worked well for me for years. Luv the stuff!
Bil

Old 10-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #40

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

i clean each time i fire them