Gun Cleaning Input - Page 38
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 12:59 AM   #371
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

My firearms get cleaned after every use with Hoppes #9 irregardless of whether they are smooth bore or rifled, and I use a rod. sometimes they get wiped down/out with CLP and other times they get wiped down/out with 3 N' 1 oil. I don't have a preference for storage. Both have worked well over the years. BTW.......my muzzle loader gets the same procedure.

"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Old 10-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #372

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Gun Cleaning

growing up dad always used 3inone oil on all guns. i started useing hoppes no.9 an montana extreme when i began taking care of my on

Guns are like jello,There's always room for more
Love the smell of gun powder

Old 10-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #373

.22's I'll usually clean when there accuracy starts to dwindle or it's been a while since the last cleaning, depending on how often I fire them. Everything else I'll clean after each use, at the price for most of them, a cleaning is cheap.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #374

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?
Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.

Each and every one gets cleaned like my life depends on it. Any gun fired gets cleaned no matter how many rounds fired. They also get cleaned and lubricated routinely even if they are not fired.

How do you clean your guns?

They are stripped, cleaned, inspected, lubricated and reassembled and function tested.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:10 AM   #375

Every session or trip no matter how many rounds I fire. I usually use hoppes #9 products.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:10 AM   #376

Default I clean every time I shoot

because the one time I didn't clean my .22 LR, I had pits in the bore within 2 weeks. I also do this because this is how I was taught.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #377

Alright... Here goes...

My Glocks, with the exception of my service pistol (because it is subject to inspection): I don't really clean them at all. My carry piece has over 3,000 rounds of ammo, Winchester white box, UMC and Wolf (all dirty shooting) since it's last cleaning, and it runs fine. All I do is keep the slide rails oiled, the outside of the barrel oiled, and one drop of oil dripped down the trigger bar every so often. It runs fine. I've had my Glock 22 at over 5,000 rounds without a wipe down, and it ran fine until the RSA wore out and it wouldn't feed the first round off the magazine (completely unrelated to cleaning, or in this case, the lack there of). Do NOT oil the striker. It rides in a plastic sleeve, and has little friction. Adding oil to it will attract buildup, and the oil actually slows the striker down, which can lead to light strikes.

ARs, to include my service rifle on deployment: I have never cleaned the bore. I have on occasion run a boresnake through it, with some oil on it just to get dust and moisture out of it, or mud after falling into a nasty river in Afghanistan. I keep the bolt liberally lubed at all times. I don't take the BCG out to do it, I just squirt some between the bolt and carrier through the ejection port, with the charging handle pulled slightly to the rear. Contrary to Military teaching, and popular belief, keeping the barrel extension shiny clean is as worthless as tits on a bore hog.

I use Slip2000 EWL on everything, except the feed tray of a Mk19, and for that I use LSA. When I do "clean" a gun, I use Slip2000 725 cleaner, and I pretty much just spray it on, wipe off the old nasty oil, then re-lube.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:13 AM   #378

Likes Given: 1

I clean mine every time I use them. Usually a field strip and clean. hoppe's oil. Every so often I get the notion Ill take the ones that have been fired and field stripped and cleaned. Ill take them all the way down and give them the loving cleaning of every piece, and lovingly put them all back together. I have started using rem oil on the outside lately. I like it, I have a glass front gun cabinet my grand father built that I keep them in. He did very nice work, its a piece of furniture. I dont like dust on them either so they get wiped often. Whats sad is I grew up in the country and now I live in the city and dont get to shoot or hunt like I use to.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:14 AM   #379

I clean all my guns the day I use them, unless at camp. Then I clean them every other day. If I fire the gun very many times, I clean it sometimes 3 times a day. I have never shot enough to need to clean it more than 3 times in one day.

If I use an automatic, I keep a small vial of light oil and a small can of penetrating oil for a day of dove or target shooting. I will give the action a light shot after every 20 rounds or so and have never had a problem with my guns not feeding, or hanging up.

I also store my guns with a dummy round in the chamber with the hammer down/trigger pulled to keep the spring as relaxed as possible.

At least two times per year I do a detailed disassembly and thoroughly clean all parts and put a very light coat of break-free on all parts before I re-assemble the gun.

I clean the bores with a boresnake covered with Hoppes bore cleaning solvent. After I am satisfied that there is no firing debris in the lands and grooves, I run a cotton patch soaked with break-free through the bore.

I have some guns that I hardly ever fire and those I clean a couple of times a year also just so I can inspect them and make sure nothing is getting any rust on them.

Always prepared, never scared.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:14 AM   #380

I clean my firearms immediately after going to the range.I use Hoppes and a bore snake to clean ,and Royal Purple for lubrication.

Last edited by XDMike; 10-04-2011 at 01:17 AM.