Gun Cleaning Input - Page 36
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 12:25 AM   #351
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I generally clean about once every one hundred shots through my Mossberg 500. Sometimes I may wait longer.

Gun owners unite!

Old 10-04-2011, 12:28 AM   #352

If I shoot them they are cleaned same day or day after. I don't wait very long. I keep my guns very well oiled except my carry gun.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:29 AM   #353

When the urge hits with the match pistols, when the gun needs it with hunting arms and dang seldom with 22 rifles.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #354

Default Gun Cleaning Input

Never thought I'd get and invite to post a thought,
I clean my guns not only after each outing but once each year to my collection
that don't see any sun light or use . and I also have a complete inventory on a flash drive that I keep in the safe as well as with my insurance guy ,not because I'm worried that my house will get robbed or burn down more for my wife as we get older I think of what would she do not knowing value or what's in the safes .
thanks FT.

Happiness is a Belt Fed Weapon

Old 10-04-2011, 12:34 AM   #355

Default When to clean and how to clean

Howdy Y'all
Yes you can tell old Military folks from the civies HOW can you not clean after you shoot!!! . You clean after you go to the bathroom don't you, Well don't you?
Any how my .303 British 1914 Aussi, Bolt action single shot .22, TZ-75 9mm and my HDW 6 shot 12 guage all get a nice cleaning after range time or after a hunting trip.
Field stripand clean all moving parts I use CLP over all. Any spring type parts are the same clean and oil. Depending on use if the weapons get detail striped.
Pass all cleaners fluids/jags/brush/mops from the breech to the crown (keeps all the lil peices of fouling copper/lead/powder/gack ect. out of the breach/bolt or action), whether with a rod or bore snake. If you are using a BP weapon wirh the breech plug then go from the crown (always use a crown protector) on the single shot, the breech on the revolvers or break open/rolling block and one pass only per patch then change them out.
Just remember; You take care of them They'll take care of you.
I'm a gunsmith/armorer and thats what I recommend. (Oils and grease are a choice but please no WD-40)
Yes it's time consuming and tedious but the more you care for your weapons the less I'll have to do when things gumm up.

For you folks that only clean on the 2nd Blue moon or whatever don't forget my site: ACE'S DUGOUT GUNSMITH LOL

Old 10-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #356

Default gun cleaning

I don't own a gun, thus I don't clean it, but was asked to contribute to the forum so here I am.

If I was going to be a complete smartass, I'd say that the way I clean my gun is with coffee, tea (unsweet), whiskey, and occasionally cranberry juice.

I also watch my intake of saturated fat and salt, both have been known to suffer one performance issues...

And soap...did I mention soap? Scrub hard...yup...that's me.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #357

Default Cleaning standards

My standard is usually after each shooting trip. I slack off on some guns if I know they are in good condition and didn't get fired a lot.

I like the Otis cleaning system for my firearms.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #358

I got a PM asking me to contribute to this thread. I guess that's the way of telling me to get off of my butt and stop being a lurker.

I have little to add to what has already been said. I've read many opinions on gun cleaning methods and frequency intervals. My opinion on frequency hasn't changed over the past 40 years. My father taught me to clean my firearms as soon as was reasonably possible following their shooting. I do this religiously and have never experienced any ill effects from cleaning erosion or damage from the process.

My techniques as well as the products I use to clean them has changed significantly. Cleaning from the breach is a must and wherever possible I use a bore guide. I've become a fan of using Simple Green on plastic or phosphate finish firearms. It removes most powder and light fouling quite well. I use the Automotive strength cleaner. I would say to be cautious when using this product, it has everything to do with dwell time. It should not be used on raw stainless or raw aluminum weapons. It can, if left too long etch these finishes. I really like it on chromed barrels and chambers and Glocks or similar weapons.

I've also become a fan of the Bore Snake. I've found that if this is used regularly the number of times that I actually have to get a brush out is few. More often than not I'll take several firearms when I go shooting and usually don't put more than 100 rounds through any given gun. It most cases, particularly when shooting quality name brand ammo the guns just aren't that dirty and a Bore Snake is all I need to clean barrels and cylinders. I'll break a gun all the way down after 5 or 6 trips to the range. When I use a brush I typically use a bronze brush occasionally a nylon brush but never stainless. A good set of Gunsmith screwdrivers are a must when doing a complete a thorough cleaning.

Break Free CLP is another standard "Go To" product in my cleaning kit. I like it for it's light lubricating properties almost more than its cleaning ability. I like Wilson's White Lube for situations where a white grease is needed and Hoppes Red Lube when a little more body is desired, I like it for most slides. I also use Gun Butter and Mil Comm.'s greases for triggers and lugs.

As I said I really don't have a bunch more to add. Keep'em clean and keep'em pointed down range.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #359

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Gun Cleaning Input

I shoot C&R rifles using corrosive ammo each time I shoot. I slop a couple of cotton balls with Eds Red homemade bore cleaner, then a light film of oil.

Pistols every 250 to 300 rounds

I use home made cleaner solvent, and homemade oil using Eds Red recipes. They work better for me than Hoppes which I used for many years.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #360

Default Gun Cleaning

Since I use my shotguns the most I clean them the most. I usually clean them at the end of the season and sometimes in the middle, depending on how much shooting I get. I use a solvent that is supposed to dissolve plastic then I follow it up with “Hoppes #9”. I also use patches and Jag. I drilled thru a shotgun shell to make a chamber protection device.
For my rifles since I use them only occasionally I clean then after each shooting session. For the rifles I use the “VFG Weapons care System. It consists of an attachment to your cleaning rod that holds special round cleaning pellets. It is easy to use. For the cleaning solutions I use “JB Bore cleaner” and “Hoppes #9”.

Thomas Klamerus