Gun Cleaning Input - Page 34
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #331
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

"Over cleaning" part two

The British had a term called "cord wear" when using their pull through or bore snakes. If the bore snake cord rubs excessively at the muzzle end, over time this will damage the muzzle by the abrasive action of the dirty cord rubbing on the muzzle and crown area. What happens is the muzzle ends up being shaped like a blunderbuss or funnel opening and accuracy suffers.

I have and use bore snakes BUT I use a cartridge case cut off behind the shoulder of the case and place this "brass funnel" inside the muzzle to protect it and prevent any damage.

Keep your rifles "marine clean" but don't do any damage in the process.

Just don't forget to clean them after you have had all your fun in the field.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #332

Used to use breakfree for ease of use (1 product), but now:

• Clean within 1 week of use
  • Hoppes #9 with bore brush and patch followed by more #9 on patch in slotted holder.
  • Dry patches
  • Very light oil on patch
  • Tooth brush with #9 on the receiver and slide end (pistol)
  • Dry receiver and slide end (pistol)
  • Very light oil [Pro-Shot] except on glock (few critical points on glock)
  • Light grease on slide rails [Pro-Gold]
  • _
  • Alternate method for light cleaning of bore - bore snake

Old 10-04-2011, 12:56 AM   #333

Default Gun Cleaning

I have an equal number of handguns to rifles and shotguns...I use the handguns for Bullseye, plinking, and self-defense...under normal circumstances I clean my Bullseye guns by blowing them out with a small air compressor, they are rarely field-stripped (perhaps, once a year)...they are very lightly oiled after a shooting session...once a year they might be dropped in a vibrating jewelry cleaner, maybe. All rifles and shotguns are lightly cleaned and lightly oiled after each shooting session or, as a minimum once a year...that pretty much is all I do...oil is usually a CLP, bore cleaner is Hoppes #9 via a bore snake.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:57 AM   #334

3 in 1 household oil. expensive brand name gun oils/cleaners are often unnecessary waste of money.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #335

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

I clean every gun after every outing no exceptions. If I am going to store the gun for more than a season, I skip the lube and grease instead....

I use the same procedure for Autos, revolvers, shotguns and rifles... I remove the barrel, slide, spring, and magazine where applicable. Basically I remove everything I can without using tools ( other than a punch) for routine cleaning.
Soak all parts in Hoppes and brush thoroughly with Toothbrush.
Clean barrel with synthetic barrel brush or boresnake.
Dry all parts then lube, assemble, lube.

Every gun, every outing. No exceptions.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #336

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I clean every time a gun has been fired. Use Hoppes#9 and soaked patch, then brush with #9, then dry patches until clean, then mop with light lube on inside of barrel. Rest of gun gets #9 with Q tips and then wiped down. All lube is with Mobil One synthetic. Gun is reassembled and wiped down with a silicone cloth. I cannot stand dirty guns or dry guns so I stay after them within a day or so after range work.

"Honey, can I buy another gun?" "Why another gun?" "I just figured out that I am two guns short of never enough!"

Old 10-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #337

I usually clean my guns after each use. Sometimes that may not happen if I am sidetracked and use it again in just a few days. I don't use any number of rounds to determine a need to clean. Number of rounds really does not make much difference whether a gun is dirty or fouled.

I'll generally use Hoppes elite or M-pro 7. I'll spray it all down inside and out then let it set for a couple of minutes before I wipe it down. Brass brushes and bore cleaner take care of the worst carbon, lead or copper. Then a few patches with cleaner and couple of patches with oil and a couple of dry patches to finish off. Metal-to-metal parts are treated to some GunButter. Finally I wipe it all down with a silicone treated cloth.

That's about it for my cleaning. Oh yeah, the cleaning is best done while watching a couple of "Have Gun - Will Travel" episodes.

Smokin

Old 10-04-2011, 01:08 AM   #338

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I clean mine after every range visit. Other than that, i clean when required. I like Ballistol for my Glock. I soak the barrel in it, then use a toothbrush and brush the frame and slide. Every once and awhile i will put a few dropson the rails but thats it. I like to keep a fairly dry Glock; they run better like that.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:08 AM   #339

I have no exact formula as it seems neither do a lot of people here on this topic.

Ultimately I try to clean after every outing of shooting regardless of rounds fired.

I will also take them apart and lube them up at least once every 4-6 months or so to make sure they're still in good condition. Usually if I left the gun with a good greasing from the last cleaning, I'll just make sure it's still clean and add some more grease if need-be. I use Tetra Gun Grease for smooth action and for storage. Having a small light coat helps keep the rust out.

I generally don't shoot corrosive ammo, but it would fall under the same category, I just might clean it more thoroughly afterwards. Most of my cleanings are wiping down the breach and running patches down the barrel and with corrosive stuff I'll take it all apart and clean thoroughly, that stuff gets everywhere >.<

Andrew

Old 10-04-2011, 01:10 AM   #340

I shoot corrosive ammo in my rifles (MN's and SKS's) so they get a patch soaked with Windex as soon as practical after every range visit. I also wipe down the breech and barrel shank with Windex as well. When I get home, I soak the bore down with Hoppes and let it sit for 15 minutes or so while I clean the rest of the gun. I take a bronze brush to the bore to break loose the worst of the mess then alternate between a brush and patches until the patches start coming out clean.

For my pistols, I usually take them down to their major components, clean the bore and breech area then wipe down the rest of the metal and put a light coat of WD-40 or light oil on it.