Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #321
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I clean all my guns after each shooting with Hoppes and oil them per owners man. All my CCW guns get cleaned and then two rounds fired to make sure everything cycles and feeds correctly. After the two rounds, I run 1 or 2 more patches down the barrel.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #322

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Cleaning is "relative" IMO ! Shot guns shooting modern saboted rounds don't experience the "leading" their ancestors did ! Likewise .22RF don't require a lot of cleaning, IMO ! At best a "scrubbing" of the chamber - if its tight - is more than adequate for most ! Big bore and high-velocity rifles are a coon all their own IME ! Some like more cleaning. Some don't ! IMO it all depends upon a host of variables each shooter has to discover for themselves !

Far too much has been written opn this subject by far too many shooters with far more experience than myself to contradict in whole or particulars ! >MW

Old 10-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #323
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I clean my firearms after every use, it may not be needed but besides the cleaning it's a good time to inspect for odd wear paterns or parts that may show dammage. Considering some of these firearm my be required to save my life the 20 minutes it taked to disassemble, clean, inspect and reassemble is time well spent.

I use hoppes #9, double clean each part, dry swab and then a light oil on the moving parts. Last step is a wipe down with a silicone cloth on all exterior metal parts.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #324

Default Haven't cleaned since last range day

I normally clean my weapons with Hoppes #9, bore brush, small cleaning pads, pipe cleaners, the long wooden stick Q's, a good lube on the BCG and internals and finally a good lube rubbed clean on all exposed metals. Here is Ohio we have a problem with humidity and if you don't get the lubricant to soak into the exposed metal then you get rust real quick, but you can't leave it wet you have to dry it to the bone. Haven't had my pistol or my ar rust in two years and i don't keep them in a safe with the humidity prevention crap, that for some reason I am drawing a huge blank on the name. One is kept in the closet and the other in a cabinet in the basement.

Recently though I have been doing an experiment to see how long it takes my ar to foul up by shooting as many rounds through it without cleaning. Of course I know the dangers in doing this, but I always do a function check and make sure that the action is free of dirt and sand the same way I did overseas. Someone told me in another thread that the name of a weapon makes the difference in quality, when I work in the quality industry and see how close the specs from one mfg to the next are without a huge difference in quality of performance and durability.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #325

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default nothing special

I don't have any special routine. I used to use Hoppe's nine but I have had a couple issues with it lately. So I am back to using Shooters Choice. I run a couple wet patches or a brush soaked in it up and down the bore a few passes. I let it sit a few minutes to loosen the crud and then run a snug fitting wet patch either on a jag or sometimes on a brush. Followed up with dry patches til it comes out clean. Somtimes I repeat the whole process a day later and yes I usually get more crud out of the rifling. If I am in the field or at a training session and time is tight I just use a bore-snake and do a good cleaning that evening or at the end of the course. If I am trying to clean out carbon from 1911 slides or AR tight spots sometimes I use popsicle sticks cut to shape and use them to push a patch, or even use them as carbon scrapers in the BCG, extractor area etc.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Vietnam Vet 1968 MCB 53 Danang

Last edited by culdee; 10-03-2011 at 11:52 PM.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #326

I do a quick clean after each range visit without regards to number of rounds. This consists of some CLR wipes, a boresnake with a few drops of oil, and a silicon cloth wipedown afterwards.

Every month I'll completely disassemble my pistols and do a full cleaning as well as inspect for wear.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 10-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #327

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

i clean after every shoot, regardless of how many rounds went down range. that's just my plinking firearms.

for my hunting firearms, they are shot a few, to several times before the season(s) open, and cleaned from "bow to stern," internally and externally. after every outing, before i go to sleep, i'll wipe them down (only) with RemOil. after hunting season is over, i'll repeat the bow to stern cleaning and store them for the next year.

RemOil for the exterior and internal working parts.

Hoppe's No. 9 for the barrel.

1. First thing i do, is put on a pair of the cheap "Jersey" brown, cotton gloves and remove all the wood from my rifles (all the mechanics are exposed for visual);
2. then i run a PLASTIC "wire" brush down the barrel (FROM CHAMBER TO CROWN ONLY..........ONE WAY) 10 times, with a different Hoppe's saturated patch each time;
3. i then follow this with the brush again, but this time with 10 clean patches;
4. after the "brushing" is done, i use my patch jag to run a series of Hoppe's saturated patches through the barrel 10 times (AGAIN, FROM CHAMBER TO CROWN ONLY..........ONE WAY);
5. that is then followed by 10 clean patches;
6. when the "cleaning" is complete, 10 RemOil soaked patches are passed through the barrel, followed by 10 clean patches.
7. after reassembly of the firearm(s), i stand them barrel down on my oil wipe rag(s) in the corner of my gun closet for about a two week period, or so............this ensures that any "excess" oil runs down the barrel and out the end, instead of backing up into my internals and getting all over my stock(s), or pooling in the chamber (seen bad problems with this, ever heard of the Remington 742);
8. after that, i put them in their required spots until i decide to use them again.

FOR MY PISTOLS: the procedure is pretty much the same, except for the wood removal, they break-down so easily that i just use the steps above to clean the barrel, use a normal toothbrush to remove any fouling of the internals, and spray it down with RemOil before reassembly. stand on end for the two week period on the oil cloth, and come back to it later, wipe any excess oil off, and put them in their required spots until later.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 10-03-2011 at 11:55 PM.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #328

Default Cleaning, gun, rife, pistol, shot gun what ever

Every time I take a Sh_t I clean my As_
Some day the next day when ever I may have to cover my As_
You get the point.
If not what can I say it's your AS_

Old 10-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #329

Likes Given: 1

Default gun cleaning the busykngt way

I clean my guns after each trip to the range regardless of the number of rounds fired (but I'm usually shooting a fair amount).
I use Hoppes for a couple of patches - sometimes with a brush (depends on the gun and the ammo shot), then switch to Butch's Bore Shine for as many patches as it takes to get a clean one. And finish it with one or two passes of Ballistol and a dry patch. That's the pattern I usually follow.
==
If I'm cleaning the action and it's pretty dirty, I'll let it soak overnight in Simple Green and then treat it with Ballistol.
==
For lubrication, I'll primarily use Tetra white gun grease on the slides except in the case of the 1911A1, and I use Mobil 1 (both of these products are synthetics).

Know when to hold 'em...and know when to fold 'em.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #330

I participated in the Eastern Creedmoore Cup Matches this year and shot with several hundred other Garand participants. I talked to a lot of seasoned veterans and experts about the proper care and maintenance of M1 Garands. I was tied for 8th place when I experienced a major screw up and I went to the bottom of the heap. Reason: WD40. That night we had a light rain mist and the forecast called for continued damp conditions through the morning. I lubricated my Garand with WD40 and wiped it down well. During the match, after several dozen rounds, my firearm heated up and began to "spit" WD40. Most of it on my shooting glasses. The more I wiped the worse it got. A retired champion Marine Corps shooter chewed my fanny out for using "oil" on my Garand. "ONLY grease belongs on a Garand!" Leave the WD40 for your lawnmower. A lesson well learned.