Gun Cleaning Input - Page 31
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 12:20 AM   #301
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm no expert, but I clean my 9mm after every trip to the range and clean my rifles as well.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #302

Default rust never sleeps....................

I clean my ccw pistols after each use. smith and wesson model 638 revolver, and glock g26 semi auto. I use balistol to clean everything. I watch hitchcock 45 on( you tube) and follow his lead. I feel a little goes a long way and try not to overlube. I have a shotgun (mossberg 500 pump) and tend to clean a couple of times a year, or after any use.................Hope this helps.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:23 AM   #303
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Gun cleaning

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.
I clean every time I shoot, regardless of number of rounds fired. I run an oily patch through the barrel if I've been unsuccsessfully hunting.

How do you clean your guns?

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.

Run a dry patch through the barrel to get out as much carbon as possible.

Then run many patches dipped in Hoppe's Benchrest No 9 until the patch comes out the same color it went in. Sometimes this goes on for days until no blue or black.
Unless I'm cleaning one of my Lee-Enfields. I have had two of them finally come clean, otherwise, I'm slowly removing sixty years of copper build up. I give a few days of solvent then oil them and continue after the next firing.

Then a final oily patch.

The bolt head and breech area are both cleaned out with Hoppe's Benchrest No 9 until clean. Then a layer of oil is applied. I use 3 in 1 oil.

Then the gun is ok to put away until the next time.

I think this cuts down on the number of firings. It is tedious, especially if I have a many gun shoot at the range.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:29 AM   #304

I tend to clean after every firing. Sometiems, only a bore snake and a brushing of exposed surfaces. Other times (say twice per month) I break the firearms down and do a more thorough cleaning. I generally use breakfree CLP.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:30 AM   #305

Default Gub Cleaning

Clean after every use. and evey 2 weeks regardless. I like to keep the slide, rails, lands and grooves LIGHTLY oiled. I find that heavy oiling in the Las Vegas area gums up the firearm. I use Gunzilla

American Legion Member
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Firearm Instructor
Nevada and Multi State CCW Permits
Front Sight training

one loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them - Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-04-2011, 12:31 AM   #306

I clean my 1911s every 500 rounds.use hoppes 9,then CLP. My ar-15 every 100-to 150 rounds with #9 and CLP.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:31 AM   #307
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

I clean and lubricate each firearm as soon as I return from using it. I don't ever want any doubt in my mind about whether or not it will function again if I need it to. I also don't want any doubt in a LEO's mind if they want to control them during a stop or interview. I want them to smell a clean firearm and nothing else.

As for what products I use, I mostly stick with Hoppe's products for cleaning and bore lube, and Break Free Collector for all other lubrication.

I tried bore snakes, and I wasn't happy with the job they did. I tried an aerosol cleaner, and hated it. Give me Hoppe's Elite, a bore brush, a pile of patches, a good quality oil, and I'm happy.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:31 AM   #308

after every shooting no mater what gun i shoot

Old 10-04-2011, 12:34 AM   #309
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 350 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I clean whenever accuracy begins to suffer. I'm a bad gun owner. It took me about 3 months to get around to cleaning my 1911 after a few range trips.

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:35 AM   #310

I clean and lubricate my rifle and shotgun as soon as I get back as well. I use Hoppes solvent to break everything up and clean it out. Seems to work pretty well. For oil, I use a synthetic lubricant. Keeps my Colt running well!