Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #271
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I clean mine after each shooting. I also make sure I clean all my guns about every 6 months. I’ll sit down and watch a good western while cleaning. I enjoy reading what everyone else is doing to keep their firearms clean, rust free and ready to use. I'm sure I will use some of these tips. Great Subject!

Cheers

"I’m In Favor Of Gun Control …. As Long As I Have Control Of the Gun"

Colt 1911 Defender .. Sig P220 .. Sig 226 .. Sig 230

Old 10-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #272

Default Gun Cleaning

I may shoot a few rounds before cleaning if the firearm has not been in a dusty or wet environment. If you are in dust or wet.........clean as soon as possible when you get back.

Essential Cleaning Products: Rifle, handgun
Hoppes # 9 bore cleaner, good quality bronze bore brushes that FIT, good rods with the front tip "rolled over" so they will not catch on anything, a good quality oil such as Hoppe's or Gunslick.
Bore
Mop the bore with #9 & let set a few minutes. Run a brush at least 10 round trips, then push a couple of dry patches thru to get out most of the crud. Generously mop the bore again with #9 & let it set for 10 to 15 minutes with the barrel level. Now run the bore brush at least 10 more times, more if it makes you happy. Run dry patches til clean(usually 2 or three) If you are still getting any blue-green on your patches, this is copper fouling. Repeat the above til the blu-green & black fouling goes away. Then oil lightly with a quality oil.

Shotgun....Pretty much the same as above except if I have some stubborn fouling, I will get a mop for the size bore I am cleaning & wrap it with some 0000 steel wool. This will get the rest out. I used to have to do this more many years ago when lead went down the barrel, but today's plastic wad cups have almost eliminated the need for steel wool. #9 does a pretty good job if you do not let too much build up.

Need less to say I have removed the barrels & action from the stock when cleaning. Solvents & even oils can sometimes damage a stock finish, particularly the older ones. I wipe down all metal lightly with a quality oil then reassmble, being careful that all oils-salts from my skin has been wiped off the metal with the oilcloth. Wipe the stock with a clean soft cloth.

End of season I fire up the compressor & blow out the action, trigger group, etc. Then I will use a FIREARMS ACTION CLEANER. Blow out again with air then oil lightly. Then I oil the bore generously or use Rig if the gun is not to be used for a while.

Some of my firearms I shoot regularly were built in : 1918,1922,1928, 1937, 1957,1958, 1961, and later. If you take care of them, they will take care of you. Who knows, you might need one to defend your freedoms one day.

Hope I didn't wear you out.

Last edited by danlnga; 10-03-2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Trying to have it make sense & give it order

Old 10-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #273

Default Gun Cleaning

Everyone has their own opinion on this - my guns are cleaned every time they are fired. Sure you can get by without doing that but, I carry the guns I shoot and if I am depending on them to defend myself, I think it is worth the effort.

Weapons are field stripped and cleaned using standard cleaning implements appropriate for the weapon and a solvent/cleaner/lubricant based on AGI's formulation: Mineral Spirits 40%, Kerosene 40%, Marvel Mystery Oil 15%, Risolone 5%. I run my guns hard and I've been using this mixture for years on every gun I own - rifle, pistol, shotgun. It works well on plastic, bullet lube, carbon, and powder fouling. I tried all the commercial products and yeah, they work, but you can make a gallon of this stuff for a whole lot less than you would pay for a quart or less of commercial products. I haven't noticed deleterious effects on wood or polymer but I wipe it off of those surfaces before re-assembling the weapon.

For copper in the barrel, I use Hoppes Copper Solvent or Sweet's. Leading is removed mechanically - with a bronze or stainless stell brush or Lewis lead remover. You may add some ammonia to the AGI solvent for copper fouling if you really want to save money. Other products are out there that work well for this too.

Weapons are cleaned then blown dry with compressed air. No lubrication is necessary as the solvent mixture leaves a light film of oil. I have never had any lubrication related issues with this method. Of course, if the weapon is to be stored, I oil it before storage.

Guns are detail stripped and cleaned once every 5000 rounds. For me this is about every three months. Although this may be excessive for some, I want to be reasonably certain the gun is going to go bang when I pull the trigger.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #274

Well Most of the ppl on here have covered it. But I am one that cleans my guns after I shoot them every time. I don't like to leave any power crap in my barrel. Might not hurt to leave it there but I would rather have it out where I know it is not going to make a mess. Then again I am very picky about all my guns even my 22 cal. get a good cleaning after shooting them.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #275

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

After I shoot a gun, I clean it.

Also, if the gun has been in the field and exposed to the elements (water, cold, salt spray, dirt, etc.) I will clean it.

I usually keep a light coat of oil on the bolts and some on any metal parts of the gun.

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #276
Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 206 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post
What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

I clean after every trip to the range, regardless of the number of rounds.

How do you clean your guns?

Here's what I do for handguns:
  • Run a double patch soaked in Hoppe's through the barrel a couple of times first. Let that soak in.
  • Use a brush dipped in #9 on the spring and guide.
  • Use a brush dipped in #9 on the frame and slide.
  • Return to the barrel and run a brass brush through it.
  • Start the process of running dry double patches through the barrel.
  • If it's really dirty repeat soaked patches and brass brush and then return to dry patches.
  • Use patches to clean slide an frame, by hand.
  • Use cleaning cloth to wipe down spring and guide.
  • Lightly oil (Hoppe's) the frame and rails, outside of barrel, ramp, and any metal part that shows wear.
  • Reassemble gun.
  • Work the action several times and remove any excess oil on back of slide.
  • Wipe down frame and slide with cleaning cloth.

If I think it's going to be a while before I shoot the gun again, I'll oil the inside of the barrel.

Shotgun gets only a couple of passes with wet patches and brass brush and/or tornado brush and then I use a bore snake to continue the cleaning and then oil the barrel at the end.
This is exactly how and when I clean my handguns. I will add that once a year, I will remove them all from my safe, give them a good cleaning, and photograph them with serial numbers for insurance purposes. This information is kept on my hard drive and backed up in another safe, just in case.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by wewaslim View Post
After each shooting session, I spray RemOil down the barrel and chamber, run a Bore Snake through 3 times, wipe down, and store. Works for me; no rust or fingerprints, and a clean barrel. In my 1911's I use only FMJ rounds, so no leading. Bill.
Bore snakes are where it's "at," to use bad grammar. I have one for each caliber (and assume others do as well).

Old 10-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #278

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Different for rifle, shotgun or pistol

Rifles-Clean when they become sluggish or accuracy drops off. Match guns before every match or 200 rounds. Personal protection gun after each use.

Shotguns-Hunting shotguns at the end of season. Match guns before every match. Home defense shotgun after each use.

Pistols-Clean when they become sluggish or accuracy drops off. Match guns every 3-500 rounds. Personal carry and home protection guns after each use.

Cleaning products- CLP, Brake Clean and Hoppes for N/C ammo and soap and water for corrosive ammo.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #279

Default RE gun cleaning

I am new to guns and only own so far 3 world war rifles that I have not fired, if I owned a decent rifle or hand gun for target practice, which is what i want when i can afford them, in answer to your question i would probably only clean them when powder residue starts to sit or if for some reason they got wet or marked, I am new to guns so would also probably rely on advice or a manual that came with my new gun.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #280
LBJ

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I clean AK's after every firing outing because of the possibility of corrosive primers. 22's may not get cleaned every time out. Hoppe's Number 9 is what I use for everything. It's a time proven cleaner if you use corrosive primer ammo.

On the not too often outing with black powder pistols, I clean every time with hot water and soap in the (detachable) chamber followed by a few minutes in the oven followed by WD-40 followed by gun oil. Barrels get Hoppe's #9.