Gun Cleaning Input - Page 27
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #261
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Hoppes 9 Solvent with brush and swabs, then Hoppes 9 lube every time I shoot the XDm-45, which is at least once a month. The Glock doesn't get used much, so every six months a quickie if not shot, otherwise Hoppes and Hoppes when it is.

New gun. Full clean and lube. New magazines. I never used to do anything, but since I got a new one that wouldn't feed round 1 of 13 (the top one with the greatest spring pressure), I've started clean and lube new mags. That new mag was a Springfield brand from Midway USA--not an ebay special. Don't have a schedule for followup mag cleaning. Probably should.

Unrelated. Since that mag surprise with round 1, I carry with only 12 in the mag and one in the chamber, even though I've not had a problem since cleaning that one problem mag. Just in case.

Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious. Then my police state would force everybody back to work."
-Paul Harvey, 1964
Guns? What guns? Oh, I haven't seen those since I left my garage door open one night by mistake.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post
What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

I clean after every trip to the range, regardless of the number of rounds.

How do you clean your guns?

Here's what I do for handguns:
  • Run a double patch soaked in Hoppe's through the barrel a couple of times first. Let that soak in.
  • Use a brush dipped in #9 on the spring and guide.
  • Use a brush dipped in #9 on the frame and slide.
  • Return to the barrel and run a brass brush through it.
  • Start the process of running dry double patches through the barrel.
  • If it's really dirty repeat soaked patches and brass brush and then return to dry patches.
  • Use patches to clean slide an frame, by hand.
  • Use cleaning cloth to wipe down spring and guide.
  • Lightly oil (Hoppe's) the frame and rails, outside of barrel, ramp, and any metal part that shows wear.
  • Reassemble gun.
  • Work the action several times and remove any excess oil on back of slide.
  • Wipe down frame and slide with cleaning cloth.

If I think it's going to be a while before I shoot the gun again, I'll oil the inside of the barrel.

Shotgun gets only a couple of passes with wet patches and brass brush and/or tornado brush and then I use a bore snake to continue the cleaning and then oil the barrel at the end.

I second all the above. I dont own a shotgun, but I do own a rifle. (AR15/5.56) I maintain all my firearms in a similar maner. My rifle gets cleaned after every shooting. I dont know they next time I'll be out to the range, or need it for any reason, and for that alone I maintain all firearms the same. When its time to shoot, there is no question. Its cleaned, well maintained, and ready to rock and roll. $0.02

Old 10-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #263

Since I only shoot cast bullets loads that are pretty well right for my Pistols, I do very little bore cleaning. If you ever get your cylinder throats the same size, and a little bigger than the bore size, you are most of the way there. I choke bored ( actually, choke lapped my 4" smith 44 mag. It is pretty smooth. I can'tremember cleaning the bore since I had a new cylinder installed with oversized throats. I match my bullets to the throats, and THe throats are all uniform, .002 over. Bore goes from about .4295 at the end of the forcing cone to about .4285 at the muzzle.

I seldom clean the barrel of my .45 acp. It hasn't been lapped by hand yet, so it occasionally needs a good brushing and some patches of solvent.
It always gets a rub down with a Tetra cloth every night. If I am carrying my .44 mag, I am not so picky because it is nickel. Both of these guns get a mechanicla cleaning, slide, hammer. feed ramp, the revolver gets a little oil on the locking surfaces , too. I make sure the ejector rod is tight on the revolver. I clean magazines about once a month.

I have a Cz75b that gets cleaned evey time i shoot it, because it is still on a diet of jacketed bullets.

I have a

Old 10-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #264
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7816 Times on 4691 Posts
Likes Given: 9843

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post

Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.
I clean my guns after every time I shoot them. But I only have two (four right now as I have my Dad's temporarily). So it's not like I'm cleaning 8 guns each time. I feel guilty if I leave my guns dirty. I may not clean them the same day I shoot them but they get cleaned within a week or so, time permitting. Sometimes I take my guns out just to admire and 'play' with them and I want them to be clean and beautiful.

Quote:

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.
I use Hoppes #9 inside and out but I was told I shouldn't use Hoppes on the outside of my guns. If that is true, please tell me how to clean the outside of my guns. The cylinder of my revolver gets pretty dirty. I use a brass brush then patches in the bore and in the chambers of the cylinder of my revolver. I run patches until they come out clean then I run dry patches until they come out dry. I always spray and wipe my guns down with Fluid Film before I put them away.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #265

I clean and wipe down after every shooting.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #266

Quote:
The data, statistics and information from this thread will be compiled into an FAQ article. Please be as detailed but concise as you can in your response.

-------

I clean them after every shooting session. One round, fifty or a hundred and fifty, I clean my handgun. And while I have an arsenal of Sigs and a couple of Smiths, I mostly shoot Glocks exclusively, and also reload, so cleaning one of them takes like 45 seconds.

Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.

If I don't shoot, I clean maybe once every six months. But again, cleaning a Glock takes less than a minute. Sorry about the folks who shoot other stuff, but it takes a while for some people to come in out of the rain.

Drop the mag, check to make sure the gun is not loaded, pull the trigger, take the slide off, the barrel and spring out, and follow the usual cleaning procedure everybody is familiar with.

Hoppe's and CLP exclusively.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #267

Default Minimalist Cleaner

After each shooting session, I spray RemOil down the barrel and chamber, run a Bore Snake through 3 times, wipe down, and store. Works for me; no rust or fingerprints, and a clean barrel. In my 1911's I use only FMJ rounds, so no leading. Bill.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #268

Likes Given: 2

Default gun cleaning

Quote:
The data, statistics and information from this thread will be compiled into an FAQ article. Please be as detailed but concise as you can in your response.

-------

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns? to make sure in good operating condition

After firing or if been sitting for a long time
I follow the instructions on the products

Hoopes oil and clothes and mechanical devices

Old 10-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #269

Liked 75 Times on 53 Posts

I shoot a lot of black powder, and that mentality has filtered through to all my shooting. I clean after every shooting session, if practical. If I'm jammed up, I might let smokeless go a couple of sessions.

For black powder I clean with a 10:1 water/Ballistol mix, followed up by a coating of straight Ballistol.

For smokeless powder guns I use Kroil and sometimes Hoppe's 9+. If the mechanism is complex, with lots of nooks and crannies, I'll blast it with carburator cleaner and get after it with Q-Tips.

Everything gets finished off with straight Ballistol. Tests have showed that it is one of the best rust preventatives available.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #270

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

It depends on the gun and how many and what kind of rounds have been fired through it. I clean any as soon as practicable after shooting corrosive ammo.

I've run in excess of 2.5k rounds through my 10/22 without cleaning it several times before it starts malfunctioning. I've put in excess of 25k rounds through a Glock 17 I used to have without a malfunction. I've put 10k + rounds through my 1911's when I used to shoot competitively and also never had any malfunctions, but did clean the magazines after every match.

On Glocks I use the factory cleaning rod and nylon brush. With other pistols I use a standard G.I. surplus cleaning rod and use stainless steel, copper & nylon brushes before running a series of clean dry patches through them until they're clean.

I use bore snakes and Break Free CLP to clean my rifles unless one has some stubborn lead fowling I'll use Powder Blaster.