Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #221
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I clean after every match. Sometimes between stages at matches when I shoot dirty ammo. For 22s I spray with carbon remover after every session and wipe down with patches.

I clean the barrel with a wire brush and use a brass brush for the outside. I use MPro07 because it's the best solution on the market.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #222

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I clean after each range trip and a periodic wipe downs in between for protection from the elements.

I use standard bore brushes, patches and Q-Tips with Hoppe's solvent after basic disassembly. Everything gets sprayed down with Rem-Oil and wiped down with an old rag.

That has been my technique for 30+ years.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #223

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default cleaning

Shoot mainly black powder.. so cleaning is a must!!

Use a Moose Milk made from Ballistol that has a touch of isopropyl alcohol added in. cuts the sludge and grime really well and the residual ballistol oil protects the metals.. Gave up using wonder lube and the like a LONG time ago. IF need be, just some tepid water and a drop of dish detergent will get most of the BP grime out? a good gun oil with protect after that..

On my cartridge guns? When I do manage to fire them.. I'm Old school and Hoppes #9 is what I always fall back to. of course my Cartridge guns tend to lean towards Bolt or lever guns, so no need to wory about gas pistons and the like

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Old 10-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #224

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

After every firing, regardless of the number of rounds I put through them.

How do you clean your guns?

1. Disassemble (after clearing), except for the M1A on which I only disassemble the gas chamber for cleaning.
2. Gas chambers get cleaned initially with a patch with Hoppes No. 9 solvent. Then I brush them with a round nylon brush. Chamber parts/mechanisms get cleaned with Hoppes and brushed as necessary.
3. Initial run-through on the barrels and chambers is with Hoppes No. 9 Solvent. I run a dry patch after running the solvent through. Then I run a boresnake soaked with CLP no more than three times. Then I run a final patch through soaked with Rem oil to keep the barrels coated.
4. Rest of the parts typically get brushed down with a nylon toothbrush, cleaned with CLP and a rag, and then coated with Rem oil before reassembly. I use Qtips and pipe cleaners in the tight, tough to reach spots.
5. I've started using Brian Enos' Slide Glide on some of my pistols before storing them, but the jury is still out on whether this is any better/worse than Rem oil. I'm hoping this thicker oil/grease will reduce the wear I am getting on some of the moving parts.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #225

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll be the first to say it... I hate cleaning guns!

But I try to clean within a week of shooting. (I don't shoot corrosive) This is a main reason I'm not the "Take the whole arsenal to the range" guy.

That said:

Barrel

I run a Hoppe's patch down the barrel, let it sit for a few brush out and finish up with a CLP patch. My guns rarely get too dirty, so this is usually all it takes.

Outside surfaces:

Wipe down with lightly oiled CLP rag. If things get too gunky I strip off the furniture and toothbrush clean and wipe down with CLP. If the stocks are wood, I rub down with a bit of Hoppe's Oil.

That's it!

Thanks,

Robert & Jill
Santa Cruz Armory
www.santacruzarmory.com

Narley Likes This 
Old 10-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #226

Default Gun Cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
The data, statistics and information from this thread will be compiled into an FAQ article. Please be as detailed but concise as you can in your response.

-------

Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.
I clean my gun after every shooting event or heavy handling such as in the woods all day but not getting a shot.
Usually a good wipedown and a patch through the bore with a little Break Free does the job but at least once a year the firearm comes apart and is completely cleaned with warm water, Simple Green and whatever brushes and rags that are needed then it gets a light coat of Break Free and goes in the safe. I will also use Hoppies #9 as necessary. A gun that is not being used gets the same annual cleaning but not quite as intense. Old oil collects dust and gums up over time and will cause malfunctions.
If your gun is heavly used as in target or clay shooting or Law Enforcement use I think that an annual trip to the Gunsmith for a complete inspection is in line.
Check Welcome to www.rogersgunsmithing.com/ for more tips on the care and feeding of firearms.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #227

Default I clean after each firing session.

Have a gun kit, just use what's in it.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #228

Default Cleaning

I put mine in the dishwasher

Old 10-03-2011, 10:07 PM   #229

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I clean my guns after I get back from the gun range - wd and rem oil

Old 10-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #230

I clean my guns after every outing shooting them. I clean my 1911 once a week because it loves to run wet.

Once a week I fully strip my springer 1911 and wipe it down with a microfiber and reapply oil. I use a wire gun cleaning brush to get the hard to clean places.

I clean my rifles after shooting them or once a month.

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.
I use a microfiber cloth to clean and swab the barrels of my guns. I use Hoppes gun oil, I also picked up some M-pro 7 synthetic and have been using that on my 1911.