Gun Cleaning Input - Page 22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #211
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Most of my rifles are bolt action and I usually clean and lube after every range trip regardless of how many shots I put through the rifle. I don't use a bore brush more than I have to, preferring to let the chemicals do the work. Usually I start with a patch of Kroil down through the barrel to loosen things up. I will let this soak for a couple of minutes while I inspect the bolt, clean and lube it. Then a couple of dry patches down thru the bore. Next I will run a patch of either shooters choice or sweets down through and then dry patch trying to get some idea from the patches and from looking down the bore whether I need to brush or not. Brush if needed with Kroil then dry patch, evaluate, solvent patch, dry patch, repeat until clean. Then a couple of patches with lighter fluid on them to clean up anything that might have been missed. Lighter fluid evaporates leaving a slight oily film. If I'm not going to be using the firearm for awhile I'll run a patch with some light gun oil down through for rust protection. I wipe the other metal areas of my rifles with a clean lightly oiled cloth. I use bore guides and try to be especially careful around the rifles crown area. A patch, jag or a brush make a one way trip down the bore of my rifles, after they exit the barrel I remove the patch, jag or brush before withdrawing the cleaning rod. I use carbon fiber rods most of the time. This is my procedure.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #212

I clean a gun after every use (old Marine Corps habits die hard). Hoppe's in the bore, brass brush, and patches on a jag until clean. Followed by a patch moistened with CLP. Slide and receiver cleaned with rags and q-tips using CLP. After everything is free of dirt/grit, FP-10 applied lightly to wear areas such as rails.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.
Really depends on the purpose, but generally, after every time I've gone shooting, I try to clean the guns as soon as possible. Some days may pass between range session and cleaning.

However, for precision rifle, I definitely clean after every range session so that the next session, I have a cold clean bore. This information is of absolute importance so that it can be recorded in my dope book for that rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
How do you clean your guns?

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.
I personally use Hoppes #9. If a barrel is particularly fouled with copper, I may use a copper solvent, but I try to avoid them. And for heaven's sake, don't leave the copper solvent in the barrel. Many will etch the barrel if left in too long. If am using such a solvent, I'll do the barrel first, let the solvent sit. By the time I'm done with the rest of the gun, it's time to run Hoppes through it to pull the copper solvent.

As for other methods, when cleaning I tend to place Hoppes on a patch and clean till I'm no longer getting crud off of the gun. For the barrel, I do the same thing but I rarely use a rod, but instead I have an Otis kit, which allows me to pull from chamber to muzzle.

Typically, I screw a bore brush (copper!) on the end of the Otis pull line and run the line from the chamber up to the muzzle. I then place a wet patch (with Hoppes) and run it around the brush and place it into the chamber. I then pull the line with the brush out through the muzzle.

The bristles on the brush allow the patch to contact the rifling in the barrel.

I do this till it runs clean.

I then run a dry patch, and patch with oil, then another dry patch through. This leaves a thin coating of oil.

Also, I never ever EVER reuse a patch. Always a clean patch each time with the solvent/oil/or dry.

Lastly, as for oil, I've been using Otis' Ultra Bore lately. It's a solvent, lubricant and preservative, but mostly I've been using it as an oil.

I never use an oil that has teflon. Teflon is super slick, but in a barrel, it coats inconsistently, which leads to inaccuracy. This is particularly important in precision rifle. It's not as important in a close range handgun situation, however.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #214

When I clean mine depends on a few things. If I'm out camping and I shoot it during the day then I try to run a patch and some CLP through the barrel. If I'm not then I clean them that night when I get home. I use CLP for most things, but I have some MilSurp bore cleaner for when I use corrosive ammo and after I clean with that I clean again with CLP. With Black Powder I do pretty much the same thing except I use black powder cleaners. With a pistol I clean it any time I shoot it and if I'm going to be carrying it then it gets cleaned and lubricated once a week at minimum. Also, any time I know a weapon is going to be stored then I leave a light coating of CLP on all the metal parts to prevent any sort of corrosion.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #215

Default plains

Since I live east Of Colorado Springs the wind blows dust into everything. I clean them lightly (bore and slides or bolts) after shooting, and then 2 guns each month while I watch an action movie, I tear them all the way down and clean them. I have 10 guns so everyone is completly cleaned every 5 months. I am working on a cold weather lube that you can make at home that wont hurt the guns but doesn't get gummy in freezing weather. Will let you know.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #216

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

i clean all parts till there is no black left on a clean white rage, lightly oil and use a bore snake. its not hard. just keep clean. all my firearms are cleaned after every use. though there has been times i will go thew more than 1k rounds in one outing

Old 10-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #217
gbp

Default re. cleaning

1. when accuracy begins to fall off
2. if storing for extended periods of time
3. if im shooting for load development i will shoot 2 fowlers then 5 for group
then clean and repeat for the next load.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #218

I always have a little bit of carbon on my weapons as the majority of them actually fire better with a little build up. The carbon actually seats and creates a seal for blow back operated systems causing fewer malfunctions. It would also depend on the weapon system how often I cleaned it. But a rule of thumb I use is every few hundred rounds I will generally just wipe the important parts down (ie. bolt, slide, mag well etc...) With a rag then I will apply a generous amount of clp to the important internal parts. I will, however, run a bore snake through the barrel after every time at the range just because. Every thousand or so rounds I will take a wire brush to the massive carbon built up components and call it good.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #219

I clean my guns within 1 day of shooting, always.

I use the hopps solvent and gun oil.

I used to buy those expensive cleaning patches from the local gun store but then I had an ingenious idea.... Why not go to goodwill and buy a few white 100% cotton t-shirts and cut them myself? Spend $3 and get a years worth of patches.... sounds like an awesome deal to me.

A properly cared for gun is an investment, take care of it!

Old 10-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #220

I clean after every other range session of the round count is under 250 for the session. If the round count is over 250 for the session, I will clean the same day of the session.

Handguns are field stripped, sprayed down with Rem Oil to remove all loose surface deposits. Any carbon is removed with a stiff toothbrush or if reallly stuck on, it is scraped off with my nonmarring reinforced nylon armorers tool from 10-8 performance. The inside of the barrel gets 10 passes with the Hoppe's Boresnake.

Everything gets wiped down clean and then coated with a light layer of Break Free CLP including the inside of the barrel. High friction parts and slide/frame mating surfaces also get an extra coat of lube.