Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #181
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I try to clean my pistols after every match but that does not always happen. I use hoppes solvent to get the gook out and I like slide glide as a lubricant.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #182

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

With nine completely different types of firearms bought within ten months, I'm still figuring out what works best for each. Coming to the conclusion my Savge Model 64 does not need complete disassembly. I do clean all of my guns as soon as I can aftert a visit to the range. Was raining this morning, so I had to wait until the wife left for work before I could clean my SW1911 indoors. Hoppes #9 soaking the inside of the barrel while using soft cotton t-shirts to remove most of the film all over the gun, Q-tips for smalll places and then a nylon brush for the barrel followed by patches just like everybody else does. Slip Stream for the rails and CLP for everywhere else. Took me about 15 minutes to do the job.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #183

Default Cleaning

Im a Marine I clean my weapons once a week and before and after every time I fire them.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #184

Handguns I clean after every trip to the range. Mainly because they are pretty easy. I run a soaked patch of something like #9 or CLP followed by 2 - 4 passes with a bronze brush. Then, 2 passes with a soaked patch followed by a dry patch. I may do more depending on the range session and what I see left in the barrel, if anything.

Hunting rifles I clean after usually 100 rounds. Although, they get wiped down after each range session. I use the same method as above. About once a year, I wipe down each gun in my safe with a very lightly oiled cloth.

The products I like are Butch's, Break Free CLP, #9 and Kroil...depending on what I'm doing.

President/Biochemist
Premium Nutrition, Inc.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #185
TOF

I clean all firearms within 48 hours after use unless in the field on a hunt.

Materials used:
Soap (Simple Green) & water
Kerosene
Hoppes#9
Rem oil
50/50 mix Hydrogen Peroxide and Vinegar for lead removal
Bronze or nylon brushes
Cloth patches selected for tight fit. Waffle pattern preferred.

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #186

I clean after every range visit, which I believe is best or future buildup.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #187

I got my savage 270 about a month and a half ago and of course, the first thing i got for it was a boresnake. As i am a firm believer in the boresnake. After each time I shoot, I start by squirting some hoppes 9 solvent on the area right in front of the brushes then pulling it through 5 times. Then, I squeeze out as much solvent as i can with a rag or paper towel, squirt some rem-oil on the tail end of .the boresnake and pull it through 2 more times. Every couple trips or so, i take out my bolt, put on a SUPER LIGHT coat of oil, and get any brass residue on the bolt face off with a bronze brush. sometimes I may wipe out the inside of the action and the mag well to get rid of any dust or residue it may harbor. My savage also has a very durable matte finish that is very hard to rust however, I still like to take off the stock and coat the outer reciever and barrel with oil

Last edited by Kaianuanu; 10-03-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #188

i have not read all 188 pages on this post

right / wrong = but i do it this way

on 22's i may shoot many many rounds out of them before do a deep clean on them, unless it is my target gun.
i will run a bore snake through all even the 22's now and then.

MOST OF THE TIME when A 22 ACTS UP IT JUST NEEDS A LITTLE OIL

as for the rest

most are after a shooting day regardless of how many rounds fired.
(might not be the same day but will be before the next shoot day)
(when we go to shoot it is for the day ALL DAY)

or every few months for the ones that have not been fired
(they get wiped down at the min)

my carry gun = every time i shoot it or once a month to get the lint/dust what ever off it and ck it all out also.

i will say i have put 500-800 out of my AR and it was filthy when i tour it down . but if it ran with no hiccup's dirty it should never fail me clean.
i do keep the BCG wet.

as for what i use i went the cheep way.

ill use break cleaner on all but the old guns that have HARD plastic grips and such, (test a small part first i ruined a nomad grip)

it is cheep and knocks out most all carbon, grime, oils, dirt, etc
i do use a bore brush and hoppes #9 and a cloth patch

as for a lube

i use MOBIL 1 (zero wt) synthetic oil, it has kept my AR running , my DPMS LR308, and all semi autos.

it is thin and i use it on moving parts, im told it does nothing as for a rust inhibitor.

ill use spray rem oil for that.

sorta plain and simple and cost effective as a qt of oil is around $5.25 and brake cleaner is $2-2.50 a can.

this has been asked before and it gets mixed thoughts each time.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #189

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I usually clean my guns after every outing, be it range or hunting, even if I haven't shot them. I am by no means an expert on this subject, but I use what I´ve read and learned from others.

Bolt-action centerfire:

1. bore snake or lightly oiled patch through the bore
2. solvent soaked patch, stroke 5-10 times back and forth, let the solvent soak in for a few minutes
3. one or two oiled patches through the bore
4. dry patches, until they come out clean
5. clean the bolt with lightly oiled cotton cloth
6. lightly oiled patch through the bore before storage
7. wipe down blued metal with a cotton cloth

Bolt-action rimfire:

1. bore snake or couple of oiled patches
2. dry patches, until they come out clean (usually steps 1 and 2 are covered with just the boresnake if I´ve shot under 50rds)
3. clean the bolt with lightly oiled cotton cloth
4. lightly oiled patch through the bore before storage
5. wipe down blued metal with a cotton cloth

Shotgun (pump and O/U):

1. clean barrel(s) with oil/CLP and basic shotgun cleaning-kit
2. wipe the action clean if needed
3. oil barrel lightly before storage
4. wipe down blued metal with a cotton cloth

I´m still learning proper gun maintenance and it´s great to see what methods others use so I can pick up some useful things.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #190

Default Gun Cleaning

I clean after every trip to the range. Barrel - Hoppe's, patches, bore brush/snake, wipe down with dry patchs. Moving parts - soft brush, patches, dry patches, then light coat of oil. Work the slide a few times. The weapons that don't get used as often get cleaned every six months (dry climate) if they haven't been to the range.

You can never own enough guns