Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #171
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

22 Rimfire, clean when accuracy begins to drop, or fails to feed.

CCW weapon, clean after every firing before carrying.

Large bore pistol- about every 500 rounds, or before prolonged storage.

Large bore rifle- After every firing

Shotgun- before end of season storage

EXCEPTION- Corrosive MILSURP ammo or muzzleloaders- clean immediately after every shooting session.

* Run a double patch soaked in Hoppe's through the barrel a couple of times first. Let that soak in. With very dirty gun, sometimes spray action with Gun Scrubber, then clean with Hoppe's and re-lubricate with Hoppe's oil, CLP or sometimes teflon gun grease.
* Use a brush dipped in #9 on the spring and guide.
* Use a brush dipped in #9 on the frame and slide.
* Return to the barrel and run a brass brush through it.
* Start the process of running dry double patches through the barrel.
* If it's really dirty repeat soaked patches and brass brush and then return to dry patches.
* Use patches to clean slide an frame, by hand.
* Use cleaning cloth to wipe down spring and guide.
* Lightly oil (Hoppe's) the frame and rails, outside of barrel, ramp, and any metal part that shows wear.
* Reassemble gun.
* Wipe down frame and slide with cleaning cloth.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #172

I generally clean after every trip out, whether I shoot them all or not. If they weren't shot, I oil them. I only have 2 fluids in in kit, Hoppe's #9 and Remington Rem oil. Patch till clean, and light lube on the outside. As stated above, if they are gonna sit for a while I will lightly oil inside the barrel. The only side step, is when we shoot alot like during dove season. I will do a quickie, if we are gonna be out several times during the week. Brush, swab and wipe.

"If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead" Johnny Carson

Old 10-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #173

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Gun cleaning

I kind of have OCD when it comes to cleaning, i will clean a gun after every firing session. Even if i have a gun that sits unused for a while i will even reclean it just to keep it from collecting dust. I have always used Hoppes cleaning chemicals as well as break free. Its always served me well

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 10-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #174

I clean my shotgun after every trip to the range or hunting.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #175
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 102 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 38

My experience is just with semiautomatic handguns.

I clean them after a trip to the range (if I am feeling really lazy, then after two trips.) I don't like to let it go any longer than that.

For cleaning, I use Hoppe's #9 and a little Kleenbore cleaning kit that I bought at the gun store. I take the gun apart and use a patch with Hoppe's #9 inside the barrel and let it sit for a bit. Then I use the soft brushes with Hoppe's to clean the rest of the gun. Q-tips are great for the hard to reach places and paper towels help clean off the nasty junk. I will then use the little metal brush in the barrel and then wet and dry patches until they come out clean. I use a very lightly oiled patch with CLP (it came with the kit) on the outside of the barrel and other parts inside the gun. Then I put everything back together and put a tiny drop of oil on the ends of the slide. I rack the slide a few times to get it nice and lubed and wipe off any excess oil. I also wipe down the outside of the gun.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #176
CK3

The 1911's, 9mm & the 44Mag get disassembled & cleaned every time I shoot. (about 4 times a year)

The 10/22 & the Arisaka get disassembled & cleaned once a year. The 10/22 gets shot about 3 or 4 times a year & the Arisaka twice a year. I keep the Arisaka well oiled all the time.

The Black Powder gun gets cleaned as soon as I get home from the range. It gets shot once a year & I oil it up a few times a year.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #177
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
The data, statistics and information from this thread will be compiled into an FAQ article. Please be as detailed but concise as you can in your response.

-------

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.

How do you clean your guns?

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.
Im not the best when it comes to cleaning my firearms. I clean depending on the condition of the gun. But after each shooting or handiling(playing with) too much i always run my gun towel/oil cloth over them.
Finally when they are really dirty I break out the Hoppes cleaner, oil, patches and brush. I will clean a couple one night then so on until they are all done. And yes I skip a few days sometimes in between the cleaning days. So I guess there really is no rhyme or reason as to when I clean them. Another way is if I want to carry a particular gun around as my CC and it is dirty, I will give a half clean so it wont get my clothes dirty. Hope that helps, Ed

Old 10-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #178

Liked 257 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 362

I'm probably a little obsessive but i clean anything I fire after its fired. to me field stripping and cleaning is about as much fun as shooting.

" I love the smell of gun oil in the morning " -Me

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #179

Default Gun Cleaning

Before I got my 10/22 I had planned to clean it every time I shot it. After shooting a couple times without cleaning I realized I only need to do it about every 1k rounds or first set of malfunctions. I use hoppes no 9 and an Otis coated cleaning rod so I can clean it breech to muzzle. The worst part is trying to get the pins out the first couple times.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #180

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Every time I take them out. And every few months if they sit in the safe.Hoppes and CLP.