Gun Cleaning Input - Page 16
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects >

Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #151
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mine's fairly simple:
1. Whenever I fire a gun it gets cleaned.
2. I add a drop of lube every two weeks if I haven't fired one of them.
3. After using them I use Hoppe's #9 as a cleaning solvent
4. For a lube I use FP1

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 10-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #152

Since most of the posts here have been so thorough, I feel so much better educated than I did before.

In any case, I can only add that if I shoot it, I clean it the same day. I shoot at least twice a month...most often, weekly.

My semi-autos get detail stripped and new springs installed once a year or so.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #153

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

I clean my G26 (my EDC gun) at least once a week. Now, with that being said, I only run a patch through the barrel and wipe off fingerprints and whatever else my sweaty body leaves on it. If I fire it, even only a few rounds, I do a field strip cleaning. After a good range session, 200 rounds or so, I take the slide down to bare metal, wipe all springs and clean all channels thoroughly.

My duty pistol (Glock 22) is cleaned in the same fashion as my EDC.

All of my other weapons are cleaned after range visits or biannually, which ever comes first.

I use Hoppe's at home, and Gunzilla at work. No true preference, both seem to work fine.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #154

Since I'm retired, I do a tear down and cleaning the first rainy day after a trip to the range.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #155

I clean my pistols after every trip to the range.
Hoppe's #9, rags, barrel brush. Repeat.

A few drops of oil on a cotton barrel swab.

A dab of dielectric grease on all sliding surfaces.
Reassemble and store.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #156

As of late I have been interested in Air guns, well Air Rifles that is for hunting turkeys in California. Here is a link for a video on youtube which shows a decent way to clean the outside of an air rifle.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #157

Default Gun Cleaning

Howdy:

Basically, being an old military type, I clean after every use. Hoppe's #9 for civilian ammo or new milsup. I have enough of the old "smelly" milsup cleaner to last a lifetime (at least for me anyway) and I use it on those gun wherein I use corrosive ammo. Ballistol works fine for BP guns, and I use Kroil as a quick rub down, bore swipe with a patch.

Vaarg

Old 10-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #158

Likes Given: 1

I just use a general Hoppes cleaner with oil and some Rem Oil.

I start with a brush and then put some cleaner on a patch and wrap it around the brush and run 2 or 3 through, applying a new patch each time.

Then I wrap dry ones on the brush for a couple, then just a patch until clean and dry.

I clean my rifles generally 1-2 times a year. I don't shoot a ton of rounds though, just mostly hunting and a little practice in between. Usually one cleaning before storage, then another sometimes before hunting season, depending on how much I've been shooting.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #159

Clean my weapons after every use within a couple of days. clean my carry weapon after any use and about every other month gets a cleaning
Black powder gets cleaned imediately
Most of my weapons are storage lubed in a safe since they are collectables and not routinely used

Old 10-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #160

Liked 3257 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Criteria:

Typically, I clean everything after each range trip, .22s included. A dirty gun in the safe bothers me. There might be the odd occurance where I will be shooting a gun the following day. In which case, might leave it if it's not too cruddy. In my handguns, I shoot mostly cast, so things get a bit dirtier than if I were using jacketed or plated. If in doubt, I clean it.

Cleaning tools/products:

The standard rod with patches and brushes. I don't care for Bore Snakes. For the .357s I have a Lewis Lead Remover when a brush isn't enough. Hoppe's #9 & oil for most things. Oil I apply with a Q-tip, I find too easy to overdo it otherwise. I find PJ-1 (motorcycle chain lube) works well as a slide grease. Birchwood Casey Barricade for wipedowns.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand