Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #141
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I clean an lube every range session

Old 10-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #142

Since I live where the principle arm was a british .303 and corrosive primers were all we knew , breaking the water first treatment was hard to get over , now I only use the hot water first , on my blackpowder rifles , and since the water gets rid of all of the dirt and crud , that takes care of the major part of the cleaning there ,all that is left is to oil inside and out .. My smokeless fire arms get swamped with Ed's Red , which I mix myself , for as a practising smith I use lots of cleaning /lubricating stuff , and it is very expensive .. That covers the materials except cloth patches ... The method , if guns are really gunked up with powder fouling and other dirt and grime , thoroughly swamp with Ed's Red and scub , then down to the hose and wash everything out , back to the bench to dry and with tooth brushes etc clean until spotless using more Ed's Red .. when everything is as clean as I can make it ,wipe dry then lightly wipe over with ,you guessed it Ed's Red ..I use Ed's Red because it doe everything claimed for it and I can make more than a Gallon for a fraction of what it costs to buy a few onces of whatever from the commercial suppliers ..

Old 10-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #143

It depends on the type of gun I am shooting

Black powder firearms I clean as soon as possible after shooting ... Black powder residue is hydroscopic and promotes rust..... rifle and musket barrels get removed from stock and go in the shower with me... hot soapy water is the best thing for them wipe them down and oil when done.... Colt style revolvers the barrel and cylinder will fit in dish washer I have yet to have any rust doing this..... both of these methods may get you in trouble with the wife.... plan on taking her to dinner.....Flowers work too.... at the moment I am a widower so I get to do it my way...

surpluse military arms... depending on ammo corrosive/non corrosive will determine how fast these get cleaned.... corrosive I like to clean the same day as shooting.... and no I don't take em in the shower....
if shooting non corrosive if there is something more pressing sitting a few days won't hurt.

Carry pistols clean after shooting inspect at night after carrying wipe down blow out dust/lint....

there is one thing not mentioned here is how often do you clean your gun collection? I try to dust things once a month if I know I have people coming over
I'll do a quick wipe down on anything in the racks if time permits....

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by KABAR2; 10-03-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #144

I don't own any handguns.... YET. The 25/06 gets bore snaked and wiped down after every hunting trip. The 12 and 20 gauge get cleaned a lot less frequently. The rifle was given to me by my father so I really try to take care of it. The shotguns are cleaned about every six months. Always cotton rag and hoppes.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #145

Default Every time i shoot

When the weather is nice I shoot about twice a week. I clean my guns after every trip to the range. After removing the majority dirt from of the bore with Hoppes #9 I then use copper solvent on the bore. I use carburetor cleaner to spray out the trigger groups in between more thorough cleanings. When time allows I strip the trigger group out and clean thoroughly. Certain firearms that don't get shot frequently like my revolvers don't get completely broken down when cleaned. With carb cleaner you need to be careful with some guns that may have certain types of plastic and certain wood finishes, keep oil nearby to immediatly nuetralize any negative effects from the carburetor cleaner that may have gone where you don't want it.
Carburetor cleaner has never damaged any of my firearms.

Last edited by mocatz187; 10-03-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: can't type

Old 10-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #146

I personally clean my guns within 24 hours of shooting them. I only do a basic field strip when cleaning. I love the smell of a freshly oiled pistol.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #147

Bore snakes and SLP after every range trip. Up close and personal inspections 3X a year.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #148

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cleaning

I field strip and clean after every round of shooting, no matter what the firearm I use. Sometimes I will have 3 or more to clean when I get home. Army taught and I haven't forgotten. I know in the FZ that wasn't possible or probable but at those time clean when you can.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #149

Default Cleaning

I break them down, clean lube after every use. I love cleaning guns. It's very relaxing. Send me your dirty guns with some ammo, I'll shoot them then clean them for you

Old 10-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #150

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I clean shot guns when the look really dirty clean 22 when it james and clean bigger rifles every time I shoot.