Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Bore snake, starting fluid, clp, & cotton rag.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 10-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #132

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I clean my guns after every time I shoot them regardless of the number of rounds fired.

I use Kleen Bore Formula 3 for general cleaning and maintenance and when I notice that the Formula 3 doesn't clean real good, I'll use Kleen Bore Copper Cutter and lead patches to remove heavy deposits about every 5 or so cleans.

First I'll disassemble and clean the bore by passing soaked patches with a brass brush and replace patches until come out clean, then pass dry patches until come out clean, then pass an oiled patch to leave an oil film.
The rest of the gun gets scrubbed with a tooth brush and Formula 3, then wiped with clean patches until clean patches come out, then oil where it is recommended by manufacturer and a silicone rag on the outside.

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper

Last edited by Mandy; 10-03-2011 at 09:16 PM.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #133

I clean after firing, I clean 1 time a month if I dont get to the range.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #134

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 76

.22, when accuracy decreases
.22 Magnum and CF rifles, after every use.
CF Pistols, after every use

Clean with remington bore cleaner and lube with Rem-Oil

Old 10-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #135

I clean after every use, quarterly if not used. Clean CCW weekly.

A gun in your hand is better than a cop on the phone.

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #136

I clean every time I go to the range. Go shoot, sit by the pool sipping beer and clean guns. What could be better.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #137

All of my pistols are cleaned after EACH range trip. During the day (depending on how long/much I am firing), I will boresnake the barrels. I shoot exclustively lead so a little "dirty". I prefer to keep it as clean as I can. I'll boresnake my two pistols after each 100 rounds.

My hunting rifle is cleaned at the end of the season. It is cleaned extensively at that time and then oiled up before going into storage.

My AR is shoot weekly. It is currently cleaned after each range trip. Like my pistols, I'll boresnake it after each 100 rounds if I am shooting that much. Typically I'll shoot 50 to 60 rounds per trip so normally cleaned when I get home.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #138

I shoot mostly black powder so cleaning after every shooting session is a must. I use hot water and patches until they come out clean then lightly oil with CLP. For my cartridge weapons it is Hoppe's and CLP after every 200 to300 rounds for pistols,50 rounds for rifles and 100 rounds for shotguns. Hope this is useful for your survey.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #139

After every outing

I just started using FrogLube this year

I also use a boresnake

Old 10-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #140

First, let me point out that there are different levels of "Cleaning". I wipe down my pistol with a clean rag after each shooting period. I use a soft nylon brush in the barrel and around the working parts of the upper slide and lower action parts. Then I wipe it down with an "Oil Soaked" Rag to leave a thin coating of oil on all the metal parts. I also use a long, thin, oil soaked rag placed through the barrel to remove any debris. I rarely use a brash brush during this time. I never use a stainless steal brush for cleaning a firearm.

Once each month I take all my pistols out and examine them. I pick at least two of them for a "Deep Cleaning". These I break down to the basic "Field Strip" level and use a brash brush where necessary to clean any build up. Mostly I use the nylon brush and simply work with "Elbow Grease" to make sure that it is clean.

I run a brash brush through the barrel only a maximum of two times and only in one direction: from Chamber to muzzle. This is to remove debris from the groves of the rifling. Cleaning the groves of the rifling helps to increase the grip on the bullet and improve a “truer” flight with a “Spiraling” effect. Build-up in the rifling’s decrease the grip and spin and affect the accuracy of the path of the bullet over long distances.

Cleaning Solutions: WD40 is not the best for oiling your pistol, but it does make a good cleaning solution. After cleaning my pistol with WD40, I place the pistol into a pan of Dawn Dish Soap and Warm water. Sometimes I will use Cascade Dish Soap. During this cleaning I use nylon brushes to make sure that all debris is removed from the Action of the pistol.

After rinsing with clean/clear water, I use a blow drier to remover any and all water. I have considered using a bell jar and vacuum pump to pull the pistol to a complete vacuum and remove all water in hidden places... but until I get the bell jar and pump, I will continue using the blow drier.

Lubrication: An “oil-soaked” rag is all you need. You really do not need to drop oil onto or into the firearm. Simply take the oil-soaked rag and wipe the service of all metal parts. I use synthetic Mobile 1 motor oil. This oil has a higher flash point and lower viscosity rating than any of the commercial gun oils. It is also designed with a molecular polarization that causes it to stick to metal; an added plus for protecting any metal. I only put oil on rotating parts, springs, and metal services. Parts that slide (i.e. the upper slide) I lubricate with graphite. Some gunsmiths will recommend “high-speed” graphite grease for parts that slide. However, grease may attract lent and dust. I use a #2 pencil and carefully run the lead from the pencil along the grove of the upper slide. Graphite by itself does not attract lent or “gum-up”.

A #2 pencil with eraser is also useful to check the firearm for a functional firing pen. Cock the unloaded firearm (always clean the firearm in a room where there is no ammo) and place the pencil into the barrel with the eraser toward the firing pen. Pull the trigger and the pencil should be shot up and out of the pistol. If not, the firing pen may be broken. I always check a CCW for Safety and functionality before carrying.