Gun Cleaning Input - Page 111
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #1101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Be careful not to get carb cleaner on any plastic or rubber parts. They melt.
It sure will cut the grease, though. A little too volatile to do much for your barrel, IMO

Old 03-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #1102

Liked 221 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 294

There are only a few areas that really need a lot of attention. The bolt carrier where the gas needs to be sealed, the part of the bolt that the gas rings are on, and the barrel extension. I generally shoot a squirt through the gas tube, although it isn't really needed. As a part of my routine maintenance, I put a new set of gas rings in every time I fire. It really isn't absolutely needed, just gives me peace of mind for a dollar and a few seconds of my time. I know my weapon will fire when needed.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #1103

Liked 374 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius View Post
I heard WD40 was bad for firearms. You obviously haven't experienced any problems with it, yes?
Not at this time. I generally spray a little bit on the barrels and then wipe them down taking care not to get any on the timber or plastic.
This is done so that the acid off my skin doesn't leave rusty fingerprints or be a start to surface rust.
Another thing I do every so often is I get a bit of wire and scrape around the edge of the chamber where the bolt face closes up on just to get any crud out like minute bits of brass or burnt powder residue and it makes a difference especially on the .22's.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 03-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #1104

Liked 221 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1 View Post
Not at this time. I generally spray a little bit on the barrels and then wipe them down taking care not to get any on the timber or plastic.
This is done so that the acid off my skin doesn't leave rusty fingerprints or be a start to surface rust.
Another thing I do every so often is I get a bit of wire and scrape around the edge of the chamber where the bolt face closes up on just to get any crud out like minute bits of brass or burnt powder residue and it makes a difference especially on the .22's.
I am really leary about excessive scraping on either DI or piston gas firearms. Might be ok for blowback or bolt action. Dealing with the M16 platform for so many years, over time a wire brush slowly becomes a cylinder hone, wearing surfaces that need to seal gas for cycling purposes. I have seen overly agressive cleaning shorten the life span of barrels and bolt carriers.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #1105

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Re: WD-40 - why not just use Rem Oil? Cheaper and definitely good for guns. Before I shoot my AR I spray Rem oil all over the bolt and down the bbl and moving parts. Works like a champ, easy to clean up....
WD-40 is specially made to displace water - as in a car's distributor cap. The "WD" stands for "Water Dry" and the "40" is the numbered attempt that finally got it right. It really isn't a lubricant, except tangentially.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:32 AM   #1106
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

In hot humid conditions the WD40 will not protect weapons. CLP, new issue stuff does not have to be shaken before using, still is adequate for most situations. Nice to have a wash tank for really gummed up M4's etc. Brake cleaner or gun scrubber will wash out a lot of crud fast. I have tried everything out there for weapons protection but now going to mix up some of Ed's Red for cleaning and playing with Mobil 1, ATF, and Hoppe's to keep my AR's, etc., lubed and running.
Jim

Old 03-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #1107

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil1943 View Post
WD-40 is specially made to displace water - as in a car's distributor cap. The "WD" stands for "Water Dry" and the "40" is the numbered attempt that finally got it right. It really isn't a lubricant, except tangentially.
Actually I believe "WD" stands for "Water Dispersant" as in it displaces water. So as a first step in cleaning a firearm that has been exposed to water, I might consider using WD40 first, followed up by the proper cleaning and lubricating oils.

Last edited by NOVA; 03-29-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spelling, as usual...

Old 03-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #1108

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
Actually I believe "WD" stands for "Water Dispersant" as in it displaces water. So as a first step in cleaning a firearm that has been exposed to water, I might consider using WD40 first, followed up by the proper cleaning and lubricating oils.
You are correct, sir. I was using the Florida Cracker word for "dispersant."

Old 03-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #1109

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

IMHO more bores have been damaged by over excessive cleaning then by shooting them. A gunsmith friend of mine says the same thing.
I know quite a few NRA highpower shooters who shoot about 5 to 10 matches (88 rounds per match) and only wipe down the bolt and bolt carrier, and wet patch the barrel with hoppes # 9 and then two dry patches.
They thoroughly clean the rifle at the END of the season.
Worked for me.
HTH
Bob

Old 04-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #1110

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default keeps rust off

gun socks from walmart help a lot, i put boeshield T-9 on mine no rust