Gun Cleaning Input - Page 105
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #1041
P12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I clean my handguns after each time I shoot.

Use a form of Ed's Red

1 part Naptha
1 part Acetone
1 part Kerosene
1 part power steering fluid

works great.

I use power steering fluid instead of transmission fluid due to the foul odor of transmission fluid.

Remove wood/plastic. Drop in sealed bucket. Wait about 10 minutes. Remove blow off excess swab barrel wipe exterior and re-install wood/plastic. Done.

Cleaned and lubed. Never had a jamb after I started using this mix.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #1042

I generally go by the " do you wipe your a** after every $#!t " thinking. If you shoot your gun you should clean it or that crud just sits in there.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #1043

Default It Depends

I previously said I clean after every shoot but I got to thinking about it and I guess thats not entirely true or at least it depends on the gun. If I know I'm gonna shoot again in the next day or so I don't clean them. If I know its gonna be a week or longer then I clean them. Ever since I assembled a 'beater' AR I decided I was gonna see if I could make it jam and its been difficult if not impossible to make that happen. I figured if I let it get dirty I would find out why so many people hate them & claim they're unreliable and I routinly shoot Russian Wolf which is dirtier than most USA made ammo. . But any longer than 500 rounds and you run the risk of dirt acting as an abrasive so I try to clean it at least every 500. But not always. I treat my self defense pistols a little better. I clean my carry pistols when I get home from shooting and check them periodicly to make sure the oil isn't drying out.
I want to make some Ed's red but till I do I'm using Hoppes #9 with Hoppes oil. In the field I oil again with Breakfree CLP in between cleanings. I want to try some Slip 2000 or whatever it's called.
Hoppes #9 cleans really good when you use their brand oil.
When it comes time to remove some copper I use Sweets 7.62. I like it better than Barnes CR-10.

Last edited by mocatz187; 09-07-2012 at 04:50 AM.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #1044

Liked 2545 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

If I'm going to shoot it again soon, and I

have no time to clean, I run some ATF

down the barrel...

Old 09-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #1045

When I'm shooting often my guns get cleaned after some 1000 rounds or so, otherwise cleaning after each trip to the range or after the match...

Old 10-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #1046

I clean after each range session. Plus the stainless steel revolver gets polished regularly because it's so damn neat shining like a nickle plated job! If stored they get a little extra oil everywhere but are cleaned before shooting again. Always wipe 'em down if handled.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #1047

Likes Given: 1

I clean any gun after using it mainly because I like to play with them! LOL I use Hoppes to clean with nylon or brass brushes depending on ammo used and a soft terry cloth rag for wiping down. I blow the gun out now with Dust Off after I found a terry cloth fuzz ball in my Glock. It didn't cause the gun to jam after 100 rounds but you never know. I lubricate with Boeshield T-9 [developed for Boeing aircraft] Rust and corrosion protection as well as being a waterproof lubricate.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #1048

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Some guys I know, after they have swabbed the bore with Hoppes #9,
spray brake cleaner on the gun and blow it off with their air compressor,
then dry patch the barrel a couple times, then wet patch it with Break Free CLP.
I do the Hoppes #9, and break free CLP myself EXCEPT for my AR match and "service rifle" /s, on them I use the LSA on the bolt so the SMOKE doesn't get in your eyes during a match.
HTH
Bob

Old 10-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #1049

Liked 2545 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

You may want to rein in that brake cleaner a bit.

It can melt plastic, and eat finishes from

outer surfaces of your firearm.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #1050

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I do use the Hoppes in the bore. A little light oil on the mechanics and not much at all on the outside. When I handle a gun I always wash my hands when possible especially at home and on my own guns. I wipe my prints off with a gun & reel silicone cloth that I bought probably over 10-15 years back and it still works. I don't like to handle my guns without washing my hands, I do the same thing when I am doing any body or paint work on an old car. I do live about 3 blocks off the bay close to Galveston and I don't have any rust issues with my guns.