Gun Cleaning Input - Page 103
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects >

Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #1021
bss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

Based on number of rounds shot since last clean (usually every 200-300 or so), visual inspection of receiver, and honestly whenever I get some free time after shooting.

How do you clean your guns?

RemOil wipes for pretty much all of it, sometimes use the Winchester gun cleaner spray on the gas cylinder to get the caked powder off.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #1022

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1945 View Post
Im retired military so all my guns are cleaned after firing.And a few times each year just to be sure.Its hard to break old habits a clean and properly lubed gun just works better and lasts longer.Several of mine Ive had for 45-50 years and never have a problem with them not functioning properly every time I pull the trigger.
I'm retired, but not military. My Dad -was- and he's the one that taught me.
Same story on the guns, some of my Dad's guns are nearly 75 years old, and any of them can come out of the safe at any time, and shoot accurately.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #1023

Thank you all for the tips, I will be sure to learn how to and regularly clean my hand gun when i get one and also my rifle when ever I fire it

Old 08-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #1024

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Cleaning is cheap insurance. Does not take long and will protect your investment in your firearms. Do it well and often. Everyone may have a preferred cleaning solution and method but I think doing it is more important than what or how.
therewolf Likes This 
Old 08-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #1025

The only gun I clean after every firing is my Sendero 264 Win Mag. I don't clean my Glock or AR until I can't remember when I cleaned them last. Even my service rifle, here in Afghanistan, doesn't get cleaned properly more than once every few weeks. I'll blow out the chamber with some compressed air and make sure the bolt runs smooth, but that's about it.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #1026
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Just Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMaker View Post
Cleaning is cheap insurance. Does not take long and will protect your investment in your firearms. Do it well and often. Everyone may have a preferred cleaning solution and method but I think doing it is more important than what or how.
Well said!

Old 08-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
The data, statistics and information from this thread will be compiled into an FAQ article. Please be as detailed but concise as you can in your response.

-------

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.

I clean the same way every time. A clean weapon will function like it is supposed to.

How do you clean your guns?

Q tips, CLP, and a Hoppes Bore snake. I use CLP on the Q tips to get down in the trigger mech etc.

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.
CLP, Hoppes Bore snake (Viper)

Old 08-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #1028

Barrel:
Hoppes #9 - wet patch, bronze brush, wet patch with jag (4x-6x), bronze brush, wet patch (2x), dry patch (2x)

Slide/Frame/Parts:
Nylon brush on all rails and internals dipped in Hoppes #9, wet patch wipe down

Barrel/Slide/Frame/Parts:
CLP (on patch) or TetraGrease with a light wiping

Storage in VCI bag or a quick spray of Barrier

- Yeah, I'm that OCD. I've seen a gun rust or seize up in 1 week from poor "hygiene". I only use a Boresnake in the field, never as a single cleaning method.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #1029

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Much like Armed Pacifist above.
I run a bronze brush with a patch wrapped around it and loaded with hoppes number 9. I run that up the barrel (from the breach end) and when it comes out the other end, I take off the patch with the goo on it.
then I add more hoppes to the brush and go up and back 6 or 7 times.
I then clean the rest of the weapon using breakfree CLP.
when I am done cleaning the rest of the weapon, I then dry patch the bore twice, wet patch it with CLP, dry patch it.
I reassemble the 1911 and put tetra gun grease on the rails / slide very lightly.
I live in AZ so I don't have to wipe the exterior down too much with break free. When I lived in MN with its high humidity I would lightly coat everything with CLP.
With my target NRA Highpower AR's, I do the same as above on the bore, then clean the rifle. I use LSA on the bolt because the SMOKE from the CLP will burn your eyeballs out in a rifle match. I use breakfree on everything else.
If I am in the "match season", the bore only gets wet patched with CLP, and the bolt wiped down after each match (88 rounds). At about 5 or 6 matches, the whole works gets cleaned.
That is all.
NEVER ever use a stainless steel bore brush!!

Old 08-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #1030

Default Cleaning

Right, first RODS, mine are all stainless that have been ,,Carbonitrided" that will NOT ,,Grit" or unlikely rubbish into themselves embed, One does NOT; ,,Lapping" wish.

I lathe-off any ,,Breech and muzzle-guides" as needed, again, protect the leade in breech or muzzle always.

Cleaning products? My own and varies only RE: ,,Corrosive or non-corrosive".

Hoppes? I for cologne utilise............

And NEVER: ,,Stainless-Steel brushes" of the ,,Fuzzy" variety, drawn-wire is MUCH harder than Your (Average) barrel steel and the in (In machining-terms) is a ,,Negative-Rake cutter" that DOES barrel steel remove.

Last edited by MTMachines; 08-18-2012 at 05:12 PM.