Gun Cleaning Input - Page 100
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #991
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 51

jordan89, you left me smilin'. If you clean your self defense weapon after ever use, you must really live in a tough neighborhood! If ya ever get to SE MN, let me know and I'll buy you a beer or two. Ya gottta be one tough guy and I'd rather drink a beer with ya than have ya mad at me!

Old 05-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #992

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
Depends one the gun and the gunk, I have used lots of stuff for cleaning. Rem oil, shotgun cleaner, hoppes, mineral spirits, rubbing alcohol, carb cleaner and on my muzzle loader soap and water. The one constant is after cleaning 3in1 oil.
Be really careful with carb cleaner, I've had that melt plastic parts,

and burn the finish right off spots on wood stocks ...

Old 05-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #993

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter
jordan89, you left me smilin'. If you clean your self defense weapon after ever use, you must really live in a tough neighborhood! If ya ever get to SE MN, let me know and I'll buy you a beer or two. Ya gottta be one tough guy and I'd rather drink a beer with ya than have ya mad at me!
Haha, I didn't mean like that. I should have said every time I practice with my self defense weapon I clean it lol

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 05-16-2012, 05:25 AM   #994

I am pretty much like everyone like everyone else every time I shoot. Maybe a little OCD too there's no gun range close to me so I go out to the river to do my shooting. I don't shoot that often but I catch myself cleaning my 2 autos,Springfield XD .45 ACP and my new Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W, once a week.
I take #9 on a bristle run through the bore a a few times then run some cleaning clothes until clean, looks like a mirror inside lol. Then Gun Butter Trigger and Locking Lug grease and Complete Firearm Lube, also Gun Butter. After all is done and gun put back together I wipe the slide down with a silicone rag. The OCD kicks in so I wipe them down a couple times a week.

I have a question. I use the Gun Butter like the say which is DO NOT put the Locking Lug grease on the slide rails but use the oil on them. Anyone know why?

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
~George Washington

Old 05-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #995

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As the old saying goes....Cleanliness is next to Godliness..Remember when you use to have to take a bath every Saturday night whether you thought you needed one or not. But Momma made you?? Now get in there and be sure to scrub behind that trigger!!LOL

Old 05-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #996

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangz45 View Post
As the old saying goes....Cleanliness is next to Godliness..Remember when you use to have to take a bath every Saturday night whether you thought you needed one or not. But Momma made you?? Now get in there and be sure to scrub behind that trigger!!LOL
Thank you for the reminder. I loaned my GSG 1911-22 out to a friend and he brought it back after shooting, he says, about 70rds. through it. It was late at night when he returned it and I put it away without cleaning it. I'll get right on it now.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #997

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Well, notdku, if you'd told me you'd get 1,000 replies back when you started this I'd never believed it.
OKAY here's another cleaning method I'm sure its old as the hills but don't recall anyone saying anything about it.
Put a patch OVER a wire brush and push through the barrel- is a fast way to get most of the gunk out and is not as harsh as a bare wire brush.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #998

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
Well, notdku, if you'd told me you'd get 1,000 replies back when you started this I'd never believed it.
OKAY here's another cleaning method I'm sure its old as the hills but don't recall anyone saying anything about it.
Put a patch OVER a wire brush and push through the barrel- is a fast way to get most of the gunk out and is not as harsh as a bare wire brush.
Better than that is to take an old brush and wrap four ought steel wool around it, useing it as a brush with your favorite solvent.

Bill

Old 05-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #999

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Better than that is to take an old brush and wrap four ought steel wool around it, useing it as a brush with your favorite solvent.

Bill
I do something similar to remove lead fouling when I've been shooting cast lead bullets. I cut a small piece of CopperBrite or similar copper pot scrubbing wool and wrap it around an old brush. It pulls the lead fouling right out similar to but much less expensively than the old Lewis Lead Remover.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #1000

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

1000 posts on this thread!