Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #91
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

With a new out-of-the-box firearm, I do as thorough as cleaning/degreasing as possible as the owner's manual describes. With the firearms I am well versed with, I may do a complete disassemble, degrease and cleaning.

I do a general cleaning on every firearm after a shooting session. As far as practical, from the breach first with guides.

Revolvers get barrel and chambers cleaned, followed by light oiling at different points and a light oiling wipe down.

Semi-auto mags used in a shooting session are disassembled, inspected, cleaned.

Those that have been in storage get a light wipe down with an oil cloth.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 10-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #92

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1945 View Post
Im retired military so all my guns are cleaned after firing.And a few times each year just to be sure.Its hard to break old habits a clean and properly lubed gun just works better and lasts longer.Several of mine Ive had for 45-50 years and never have a problem with them not functioning properly every time I pull the trigger. I use Hoppes 9 on all of them and Breakaway to lube them after cleaning .
That's the way I clean all my guns, plus I use a bore snake to be sure I get the bore real clean. Then I shine a light up the barrel to be sure.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #93

I clean mine every time I shoot them.
Not always a complete take down, but always use a boresnake, and a thorough wipe down with Hoppe's and then final with a silicone rag.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #94

I generally run a bore snake through the barrel after each round of sporting clays using bore cleaner on the upper end and Gibbs brand lubricant on the tail end. Same after shooting rounds through handguns and rifles also, since I don't shoot them as often. For muzzle loaders, I clean them thoroughly after every session, and sometimes during a session. If I shoot a lot of rounds through a handgun or rifle, I'll take them down and clean and lubricate them properly. By properly, I mean that I don't over grease them, and I have found that Gibbs lubricant can be wiped off to leave no liquid, and it's almost impossible to put a fingerprint on anything, and it doesn't accumulate dust (if one were to leave it in an environment where it would, that is).

We have met the enemy, and he is us. Walt Kelly/Pogo

Old 10-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #95

I clean mine after each outing. The depth of cleaning depends on the weather, the number of rounds fired and the type of rounds fired. I have weapons that date to the 80's and all are in great shape and are ready to go.

For lead, I use any of the current popular lead removers. For copper, I use Montana Extreme and MPro 7. I lubricate with CLP or Rem Oil.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #96

My carry gun is usually cleaned after firing ( its a .45 so gets stripped and bore snaked or brushed with hoppes and lined up

My IDPA stuff isn't done as often but does get a good cleaning after 400 rounds and same as above.

My .22 for plinking and steel shoots including the M&P 15-22 just gets a bore snake most of the time and lube when needed. I don't really take them down all that often to clean.

Rifles get cleaned after each use except my AR which may get 200 thru then cleaned

All my lube is Mobil 1 except my carry witch I use Gun Butter

Last edited by scooter; 10-03-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
The data, statistics and information from this thread will be compiled into an FAQ article. Please be as detailed but concise as you can in your response.

-------

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.

How do you clean your guns?

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.
All my guns are air powered so my answers will be different than those who use firearms:

Accuracy and condition of the gun are my criteria...with air rifles and pistols, there is little build up of residue or lead fouling....so, when I notice that the accuracy of my guns is starting to degrade, I take a look at the barrel and clean as needed.

Since my air rifles have seals and o-rings that need to be protected, I use little in the way of solvents but a brass brush run through the barrel usually keeps my gun in good shape.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #98

I clean after each use of any firearm.
Usually:
Boresnake-Brass brush-Solvent-oil. This protocol is varied as necessary.

When I get ambitious or every several sessions, I take firearm down to main components(trigger assy, firing pin, bolt, etc)and clean thoroughly.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #99

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Like Mark 1945 said "Im retired military so all my guns are cleaned after firing.And a few times each year just to be sure.Its hard to break old habits a clean and properly lubed gun just works better and lasts longer.Several of mine Ive had for 45-50 years and never have a problem with them not functioning properly every time I pull the trigger. I use Hoppes 9 on all of them and Breakaway to lube them after cleaning . "

I use Hoppes #9, bronze brushes (NOT SS) and Breakfree CLP lightly.

Bob

Old 10-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #100

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I taught my 12 year old son the protocol I learned in boot.
He is proficient and knows that if the range shoot is not
followed by cleaning, he won't be back to the range for
a while.