Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Gun Cleaning Input (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/gun-cleaning-input-48564/)

notdku 09-21-2011 04:11 PM

Gun Cleaning Input

The data, statistics and information from this thread will be compiled into an FAQ article. Please be as detailed but concise as you can in your response.

-------

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.

How do you clean your guns?

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.

c3shooter 09-21-2011 06:43 PM

Varies, depending on the gun.

22 Rimfire, clean when accuracy begins to drop, or fails to feed.

CCW weapon, clean after every firing before carrying.

Large bore pistol- about every 500 rounds, or before prolonged storage.

Large bore rifle- about every 200 rounds, before storage

Shotgun- before end of season storage

EXCEPTION- Corrosive MILSURP ammo or muzzleloaders- clean after every shooting session before storing.

Cleaning products- for corosive ammo or BP, Dawn dish detergent, hot water, Bore Butter.

All others, Hoppes, Gunscrubber spray for actions I do not want to take apart, CLP. Kroil for severe metal fouling. Light grease for certain actions.

Glocks- I don't clean. Just melt with hair dryer, pour into mold, make a new one. :p

JonM 09-22-2011 02:59 AM

Generally i clean noncorosive ammo guns within a week of shooting. If the get wet or bloody from hunting clean immediately.

Corrosive ammo right away. I use hoppes #9 blackpoweder solvent for corrosives. Then dawn and hotwater then the bore butter. Clean bore with dry patches before firing.

22lr whenever i getaround to it.

Method for cleaning i use clp and hoppes #9. Scrub bore with patch wet with clp to get surface gunk dry patch. Then hoppes and brush then dry patch the wet dry hoppes patch till dry patchcomes clean. Then clp the bore then dry patch.

All other parts clp and rags patches qtips etc

knfxda 09-22-2011 03:49 AM

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

I clean after every trip to the range, regardless of the number of rounds.

How do you clean your guns?

Here's what I do for handguns:
  • Run a double patch soaked in Hoppe's through the barrel a couple of times first. Let that soak in.
  • Use a brush dipped in #9 on the spring and guide.
  • Use a brush dipped in #9 on the frame and slide.
  • Return to the barrel and run a brass brush through it.
  • Start the process of running dry double patches through the barrel.
  • If it's really dirty repeat soaked patches and brass brush and then return to dry patches.
  • Use patches to clean slide an frame, by hand.
  • Use cleaning cloth to wipe down spring and guide.
  • Lightly oil (Hoppe's) the frame and rails, outside of barrel, ramp, and any metal part that shows wear.
  • Reassemble gun.
  • Work the action several times and remove any excess oil on back of slide.
  • Wipe down frame and slide with cleaning cloth.

If I think it's going to be a while before I shoot the gun again, I'll oil the inside of the barrel.

Shotgun gets only a couple of passes with wet patches and brass brush and/or tornado brush and then I use a bore snake to continue the cleaning and then oil the barrel at the end.

therewolf 09-23-2011 03:15 PM

I'm certainly no expert. I'm currently operating my Garand on the theory

that someone installed a copper barrel on it. Weeks of cleaning and yepper,

blue patches...

I clean every gun after each trip to the range.

First a Hoppes patch to clear out the mud.

Then a dry patch to see what dirt or fouling it still has.

Then the proper cleaner-Hoppes Bore gel, copper cleaner etc,

rinse and repeat till clear.

Then Hoppes #9 once, run a dry patch or two,

and lubricate lightly with Cleansoil once clean and dry...

Field strip and wipe down with rags and Q-tips @ every 3 months.

Amsoil spray lube and WD40 are both OK for this.

Obviously, with most semis, you need to lightly grease

the slide.

trip286 09-24-2011 08:09 PM

As far as when to clean... I do a thorough cleaning every single time my guns are fired immediately after I get them inside from the range. I also shoot corrosive ammo through my rifle too, so that's part of the reason.

They get cleaned once a month or so, or when they go outside, with just a quick wipe down with a lightly oiled rag, and lightly oiled patch then a dry patch through the bore.

Nowadays I use only Hoppes 9 for cleaning solvent, and remoil for oiling. In conjunction with an old stiff toothbrush, assorted bore brushes and jags, and q-tips.

Not because I have anything against brake or carb cleaner, but because they arent necessary when I'm no longer shooting multiple thousands of rounds at the range.

ManInBlack83 09-25-2011 04:51 AM

For the barrel I use Bore Tech Eliminator, one piece carbon fiber rods and nylon brushes:

- Run five wet patches through in ONE DIRECTION ONLY.
- Run nylon brush through 20 times, saturating brush every five passes.
- Repeat step one and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Run dry patches through until they come out clean.

Repeat process until barrel is clean to your satisfaction.

For slides, bolts, frames, receivers etc. I use Kano Kroil, Q tips, paper towels and a toothbrush to scrub out carbon/debris. Wipe dry with paper towels before reassembly.

For lubrication of moving parts with metal-metal contact points I lightly lube with USGI rifle grease that is applied with a plastic syringe (slide and frame rails, bolts on semi auto rifles etc.)

Reassemble and wipe down with silicone impregnated rag before storing.

I do this after every range trip.

SwampRatt 10-03-2011 02:25 PM

I clean everything after every session at the range.

The SS pieces I might procrastinate till the next day.
On my rifles or handguns with bores not SS I clean right after I get home.
It's pain sometimes but...

mark1945 10-03-2011 02:30 PM

gun cleaning

Im retired military so all my guns are cleaned after firing.And a few times each year just to be sure.Its hard to break old habits a clean and properly lubed gun just works better and lasts longer.Several of mine Ive had for 45-50 years and never have a problem with them not functioning properly every time I pull the trigger.

mark1945 10-03-2011 02:32 PM

gun cleaning

Im retired military so all my guns are cleaned after firing.And a few times each year just to be sure.Its hard to break old habits a clean and properly lubed gun just works better and lasts longer.Several of mine Ive had for 45-50 years and never have a problem with them not functioning properly every time I pull the trigger. I use Hoppes 9 on all of them and Breakaway to lube them after cleaning .