Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Glock 22 Reduction & Stipple

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default Glock 22 Reduction & Stipple

I just finished a semi-frame reduction and stippling on my Glock 22. I have seen several done locally and some pics on here as well as a few other sites and wanted something different and figured a tree bark pattern would look and feel good. It feels great, doesn't snag on my shirt and if my pistol is ever stolen I would be able to ID it without a S/N (I have it recorded of course, but some thieves will obliterate them so the pistol can't be identified).

I was going to just do the grip panels, but decided to reduce the frame thickness a bit and stipple all areas my hands (or fingers) come into contact with it while it's out of the holster.

glock-22-stippling.jpg   g22-right-side-view.jpg   front-view-glock-22.jpg   glock-22-rear-view.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2011, 04:39 AM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have absolutely no idea how you did that, but I can respect the amount of work you did. Looks good

Darin

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 07-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks Darin, I used a 25 watt soldering iron. I first stippled the center part of the grip panels using the tip at different depths and angles then decided to stipple all of the grip surface that wasn't checkered. I wanted a higher grip on the pistol, so I used my rotary tool to remove some material at the rear of the trigger guard and at the top of the palm area.

It felt good, but I wasn't really satisfied with the look, so I used the same soldering iron starting at the top of the frame and working my way down changing the direction, angle and depth again to give it a tree bark look. I finally decided to give the dust cover the same treatment.

My hands don't slip while firing even when sweaty.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Absolutely amazing

1 how long did that take 2 did you think about the added grip you would get b4 hand or was it a coincidence 3 does it make your fing prints useless?

Old 08-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #5

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To be honest with you I have been coming back to the pics several times. I think it's starting to grow on me kinda like bark on a tree.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessdragon View Post
1 how long did that take 2 did you think about the added grip you would get b4 hand or was it a coincidence 3 does it make your fing prints useless?
1. It took a few hours over time as I had initially done a stippling that looked somewhat like a very large bead blast by using just the tip of the soldering iron at various depths and angles then decided to do the tree bark pattern.

2. The ability to retain a good grip regardless of sweat or blood was the main reason I stippled it. In stippling the whole grip surface including the finger grooves and rear the overall size of the grip was reduced slightly.

3. While there wouldn't be any finger prints on the grip area due to it being a broken porous surface there's still prints on the slide & brass.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
To be honest with you I have been coming back to the pics several times. I think it's starting to grow on me kinda like bark on a tree.
Thanks John, most of my fellow officers I work with have said they like it too. One wants me to give his G19 the same treatment. Even the one (a female) who said it "looks weird" still agrees with the rest that it feels good in the hand(s) and makes the pistol point better. A couple at first thought I had ordered some kind of stick on grip cover from Real Tree.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #8

I own a glock 22 and I have to say that is an awesome and beautiful design. I have been thinking about doing something like that to mine but never got the balls to do it yet lol. What did you use to do the design? Was it a rotary tool?

Old 08-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #9

Disregard lol. I saw what you had posted about the tools used. Anyway I think its badass. Good job man.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks, I got the idea from studying nature, specifically tree limbs and branches, i.e. with all the bark removed from a limb or branch its hard to get a secure grip on it especially if your hands are sweaty, it's raining, etc. Baseball bats have a rough textured gripping surface, as do golf clubs, so why not my Glock?

It only seemed natural (no pun intended) to copy nature, besides I've always been fascinated by different tree bark designs. I tried putting stair tread tape on the grip panels and as long as I wasn't wearing the pistol in a holster it was fine, but completely unacceptable for concealed carry as it grabbed the shirt material (tearing holes in it at times).

With the tree bark design I get a secure grip regardless of sweaty or otherwise wet hands, while at the same time the grip doesn't grab or tear holes in the fabric of my shirts regardless of what material they're made of (except silk, because I don't own any silk shirts).