Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > The FTF Glock Project Thread - Haters & FanBoys Can Suck It!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 12:53 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am no fan of glock and I am responsible for that image of the "Glock 1911" that has apparently upset Dillinger so much. I am sorry, that was not my intent.

With that said I will contribute to this discussion in a civil manner with a real suggestion.

I know that glock has worked on the unsupported chamber problem, but it remains an issue and I believe that the chamber of the 40 caliber version of all the Glocks (22, 23, 27, and 35 I think) should be better supported. I know the Kaboom incidents are rare and that their frequency is blown out of proportion. However, when I do see them it is always a 40 caliber and always at the unsupported chamber mouth. Also, what GLOCK did is open up a 9mm barrel to allow a 40 cal bore, but the external dimensions are the same as the 9mm. So we have a cartridge with more pressure in a chamber with thinner walls.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 09-12-2010 at 01:20 AM.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #52

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
I am no fan of glock and I am responsible for that image of the "Glock 1911" that has apparently upset Dillinger so much. I am sorry, that was not my intent.

With that said I will contribute to this discussion in a civil manner with a real suggestion.

I know that glock has worked on the unsupported chamber problem, but it remains an issue and I believe that the chamber of the 40 caliber version of all the Glocks (22, 23, 27, and 35 I think) should be better supported. I know the Kaboom incidents are rare and that their frequency is blown out of proportion. However, when I do see them it is always a 40 caliber and always at the unsupported chamber mouth. Also, what GLOCK did is open up a 9mm barrel to allow a 40 cal bore, but the external dimensions are the same as the 9mm. So we have a cartridge with more pressure in a chamber with thinner walls.

Is this the thread you were talking about?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-13-2011, 04:35 AM   #53

Comming from little expertise I personally dislike the glock because it lacks a safty switch of any kind. I do not like the goofy trigger switch thing, it messes with my trigger squeeze, no matter how they shape the handle I don't like they fit. (Although the perfect fit in my huge hands is that big eagle fifty cal) my first gun was a 1911 so I learned on that and the glock is balanced differently due to its light weight. But that dosent mean its a bad gun at all, I have recomended people to try them, they are extreemly durable and easy to operate and clean. They just haven't made one for me yet. Although I check the glock table every so often at the gunshow to see what is new.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #54

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

While I like my glock I think everything can be improved and made better. With that being said there are some things that might be able to make a better hand gun. I personally think that a grip safety would go well with the safe action trigger. There is a compromise however there is another safety feature offered its called a siderlock SIDERLOCK | The Additional Safety for Glock pistols . The siderlock replaces the original trigger.

I like the grip on my g-22 but I have heard a lot of complaints on this issue im sure that its already been covered but Robar makes a back strap reduction Robar Glock Improvements that I think changes the look of the gun nicely also takes out the little hump on the back strap and gives way more texturing.

As for the compact glocks if you have large hands your pinky might hang off the bottom as everybody knows they make magazine extensions or a magazine sleeve. GlockStore.com - Glock Parts & Accessories, Glock Magazines & Apparel

Magazine Sleeve for Glock magazines - GlockStore.com

Scherer Magazine Extensions - GlockStore.com

There are some idea’s that I think might help make a better firearm.

grips.jpg   textures.jpg  

Old 05-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #55

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A lot of the ergonomic issues seem to be related to the larger frames Glocks since there is less room for the "WTF?" section of the backstrap/palmswell. The slide stop lever on the Glock was never really intended for thumbing but for those from the 1911 school of thinking ought to be able to do so if they so wish easily. The aftermarket slide lock lever isnt hard to put in but it could be a tad bit bigger without being in the way. Personally I hate the fact the smaller guns like my 30sf have the polymer guide rod, it just feels and looks flimsy and the part that engages the barrel bends constantly, I think it should be a stiffer all steel or alloy construction.
Reloaders like to shoot without having to worry about every little thing like lead gathering in barrels, so ballard style rifling would be nice, that's all I'm sayin'.
I never quite noticed the trigger being on a lower plain than usual, I guess that's part of the reason I shoot high with the Glock. I'm not sure you could really fix that without developing a more compact internals arrangment for the Glock,

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:26 AM   #56

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts

Let me start off by saying I am a Ruger fan... Love the guns and the support behind them... I have never desired a Glock nor did I want to shoot one... That being said, my buddy has a Model 23 4th gen that we took this weekend to "the range". I put up some targets I had run off my pc and we took turns with his Glock and my SR9... Both guns were an absolute blast to shoot. I love my SR9 and will defend it's honor forever, but I was also very impressed with his Glock. All the features I thought I would hate about his Glock really made it more pleasurable to shoot. I love the thick box shaped grip as my larger hands fit nicely. The fixed sights mean I just have to learn to shoot it correctly! The square trigger guard gave me a place to wrap my weak hand pointer finger to help control recoil, although the stipling on it chewed the finger up a bit... I shot very well with this gun,even to the point of saying better than with my Ruger... Might have to add one to my collection! I do however wish there was a traditional static safety on it... I just get the feeling that drawing from a hip holster may result in my shooting myself in the foot... Solid feeling gun that got the job done... Well done Glock...

Old 07-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #57

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Personally, I like the Glock. I only have 2, both G22's. I like the grip
as is and see no need to change it. If one of mine blows up, I'll buy a
new one or maybe something else. What I don't own and never will
because I can't stand them is a 1911. BTW, I certainly don't have the
coins that some of these "custom" Glock outfits want.

Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Old 07-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #58

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have exactly two Glocks. I like the trigger just as it is. The sights
could be better. I like the grip just as it is. The very last thing I would
want to do is spend $500 on a $500 gun. Just spend a $1,000 on a gun
that suits you.

Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Old 10-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Whatever happened to this project?

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #60

I don't have any complaint about the glock that is not based in preferance other than the fact that my big hands can't hold it properly without getting a slide cut. The only issue I have that I cannot get used to is that when I place the bever tail into the crease of my hand the slide draggs accross my hand and cuts me open. That dosent mean the gun is bad, and certianly I am abnormally large in stature, the only thing I tell people is that if you have big hands have an expert show you how to shoot a gun properly and apply that to a glock before you buy one, it may just be a bad fit.

I had a glock I bought used and after takeing some classes from a glock guy, he told me glock may not be the gun for me.