Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > The FTF Glock Project Thread - Haters & FanBoys Can Suck It!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Sorry for the late post with the pics. Work has been very busy, and I get home late. Too tired to take pics. And frankly, my pics always SUCK, so maybe I've been intimidated. Ha.

So, I created a PB album and hope this works.

My general use Glock 17 is the green one shown in these pics. It is a Gen2 that I got used about 12 years ago. It came with a .40cal ejector installed, but has never failed. It was beat to snot when I got it and I have continued with the hard use. The green paint is about 5 or 6 years old and shows some wear. The slide shows a lot of wear from being carried in an open muzzle holster in the dez. These pics show a lot of wear and scratches that I left in place when I painted it. They don't look that obvious in person.

The tan 34 is actually one of my Gen1 22's with a G34 top end on it. It has been 100% reliable, too.

The 19 is stock. It is getting Enhanced soon and is used for comparison.

The first pic shows the rounded trigger guards, relieved junction of frontstrap and trigger guard for middle finger clearance and the modified and rounded front straps. Green=smooth. Black=standard. Tan=rounded and sanded. It shows the razor sharp lip at the bottom of the fronstrap gone, too.

Second pic shows the relieved frontstrap from another angle, and if you look closely at the tan frame you can see a flat spot. This is where the side of the trigger finger rubs on the frame.

Third pic shows both the rounded corners of the frontstrap, and the best angle to see the relieved frontstrap/trigger guard junction.

The 4th pic shows the relieved area around the mag button, the rounded edges of the mag button, and the relief inside the bottom edge of the trigger guard. This keeps the finger tip from rubbing and allows the easy use of thin gloves.

Looks like the rest of the pics will need to follow. Don't know how to get them all to post at once. And this Aluma Hyde 2 paint has been on for years and still looks pretty good. It is amazing stuff.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-09-2010, 06:34 AM   #32

Continued pics from above.

Pic 1 is a close up of the trigger guard and mag release on a standard Glock. Compare to the last pic in the previous post.

Pic 2 shows the rounded backstrap/tang area. It is tough to tell, but the amount of material removed is substantial and makes a huge dif in the feel in the hand.

Pic 3 is a brain fart, I guess. Nothing to see here, please move on.

Pic 4 shows the notched side of the grip to facilitate removal of mags. Not needed with the new mags.

More pics to follow in the next post.

Continued in the next post...

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-09-2010, 06:43 AM   #33

Continued from previous...

Pic 1 shows the front lip of the magwell. Standard and bevelled.

Pic 2 shows the back lip of the magwell. The top round in the magazine can hang up in a stock Glock magwell if the insertion angle is too steep. Bevelling the magwell front and rear eliminates this and the mags "squip" in, no matter the angle. The "Plug" aids even more, and holds the spare parts inside the cavity.

Pic 3 shows the melted edges at the front and rear of the ejection port, compared with stock. The rear melt keeps the hand intact when performing failure drills. The front melt keeps the pistol from hanging up in the draw, especially if Mexican carried behind a belt.

Almost done! Continued in the next post....

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 09-09-2010, 06:47 AM   #34

Last couple of pics!

Pic 1 is the reverse angle of the ejection port melt job.

Pic 2 shows the front edge of the slide melted, similar to the G26/27/36, etc.

That is all, gang! Thanks for looking, assuming anyone actually did.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 09-09-2010, 06:56 AM   #35

I have not bothered to take any pics of the internal Enhancements. They would be profoundly boring, as opposed to the above pics that are merely very boring.

But the internal Enhancements make the Glock operate more smoothly, and make the trigger way better.

I do not use any aftermarket parts because I trust the OEM to last forever. Ghost trigger connectors are really sweet, but I like the orig.

My green G17 pictured here has at least 15,000 rds by me, most likely a lot more. Probably another 5,000+ by my students (most of that crappy LEAD range reloads) that have used it in classes over the years, and God only knows how many rounds before I got it. But it was NOT a safe queen before I got it.

I have never changed a single part. Nothing has broken. Never malfunctioned.

Glocks flat out rock.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 09-09-2010, 08:09 AM   #36
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2273 Times on 1359 Posts
Likes Given: 1059

I looked and I am impressed. Thank you sir.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 09-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #37

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I'm impressed as well. It's quite possible that I could shoot one of your Glocks and actually hit something. A shame though that you have to make so many mods to make the gun "fit"...

Old 09-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What does having all these modifications done actually cost?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #39

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Those were very impressive and user friendly modifications there Rock! Kudos!!

Would these be cost effective fit modifications?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #40

Thanks team. I agree that it is a shame a pistol needs work to "fit" better, but I find every handgun needs work.

The frontstrap/trigger guard relief is especially helpful on 1911's. And think about all the stuff we do to 1911's to make them "right".
The HK USP's were made with as many razor sharp edges as the engineers could create. WTF? Great pistol covered with razor blades?
S&W revolvers with serrated triggers will wear the trigger finger to the bone if firing more than a bout a hundred rds double action. The great mod on S&W revolvers is to remove the serrations, and "roll" the lower edge of the trigger. That one little change improves the average S&W revolver about 1000%.

They all need help to one degree or another.

The frame work was $250. It is a full day of work, plus about another hour, so that was a good deal, even 15 years ago.

The internal work was $200, and also took just about a full day.

Melting the edges required refinishing the slide, unless expressly not wanted. I could also abrasive blast the exposed metal and cold blue. It did not match the matte finish of the rest of the slide perfectly, but was close.

The whole package (less the Heinies) was $525. Lots of the people who had them done would trade off the cost. Ammo was usually the barter item of choice, which was fine with me.

I love Glocks and do not find the "box stock" Glock to be tough to use, but they do not feel anything like one of mine.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI