Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > First time reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default First time reloading

First off, I apologize if this is the wrong section to be posting in, I can change it if need be. But today, me and my dad finally are gonna finish putting together our reloading kit and give it a whirl. He's gonna be reloading .40 cal S&W and I'm gonna try for my .308. My concern is that I'm gonna be using spent shells already so will they hold up to the requirements for one more firing? Secondly, do I need to trim them down at all or what? All I shot was hornady custom and some federal gold medal so it was some nice brass. Any help and advice would be much appreciated

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #2

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Don't do it again!!!!! J/k. My rule of thumb when I reload 9mm is to not use the brass for more than 3 times. That's 1 factory load and 2 reloads. That's just my rule of thumb. You still need to inspect the casings heavily. The brass will eventually wear out. I haven't done any reloads for a rifle yet so that's not my area of knowledge. Just make sure when you pick up your spent brass you inspect it as well as when you polish the brass, inspect every round. Better to be too careful. What kind of press are you using?

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 01-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

I've never done it but I've heard you can do it maybe twice. If you do it to much they split down the side. And you use a die to reshape the neck.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #4

Liked 2226 Times on 1003 Posts
Likes Given: 2162

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
Don't do it again!!!!! J/k. My rule of thumb when I reload 9mm is to not use the brass for more than 3 times. That's 1 factory load and 2 reloads. That's just my rule of thumb. You still need to inspect the casings heavily. The brass will eventually wear out. I haven't done any reloads for a rifle yet so that's not my area of knowledge. Just make sure when you pick up your spent brass you inspect it as well as when you polish the brass, inspect every round. Better to be too careful. What kind of press are you using?
When you're done with that brass you can send it to me.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz
What kind of press are you using?
This is what the guy at my local gun shop suggested
image-453556716.jpg  

Old 01-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001
This is what the guy at my local gun shop suggested
I meant what kind if reloading equipment is it? And what reloading manual are you using?

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 01-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #7

Oh it's an RCBS and the manual is the same. That picture came from another manual, I cannot recall the maker

Old 01-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001
Oh it's an RCBS and the manual is the same. That picture came from another manual, I cannot recall the maker
You'll be mighty happy with the RCBS. Good press

~John F. Kennedy

Old 01-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #9

What's the best way to get primers out of the old shells?

Old 01-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #10

Does your press not have a die with a de-primer? If not, you need to get one. That's the easiest way. Depending on what press you have whether its a single stage or progressive, they make a die that has a pin in it that punches the primer out with a downstroke of the handle. If you just have a single stage press and don't feel like buying a new die for the re-priming part of the operation, hornadys hand primer is very simple, cheap and very quick at re-priming.

~John F. Kennedy