First AR build
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > First AR build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Default First AR build

I was bored in the store yesterday, so I figured I would make an attempt at building myself an AR lower.
The lower is Spikes tactical, the parts kit is Stag arms, and the buffer, tube, spring and stock are Tapco.
I will post pics when I can. This is the first time i've attemted to assemble an AR, so i'm pretty stoked
I've got my completed lower on layaway, I should be able to pay it off in two weeks. Then I need to find an upper.
My boss told me I should be able to build a basic M4 carbine for between $650 and $700. Only problem is, parts suppliers like Brownells want that price just for a complete upper.
If the price goes a little over 700, thats okay, but I want to keep cost at a minimum while still using quality parts.
So, do you guys think I should do like Johnny Cash and get it "one piece at a time"? or just save up and get a complete upper and barrel?
I'm also looking for suggestions as to the brand of parts I need, and a good place to get them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

*BUMP* Anybody?
This is my first AR and I want to build it right. I need advice from the experts.

Last edited by General_lee; 11-06-2009 at 01:06 PM.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #3

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Try reposting in the AR section.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:51 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
I was bored in the store yesterday, so I figured I would make an attempt at building myself an AR lower.
The lower is Spikes tactical, the parts kit is Stag arms, and the buffer, tube, spring and stock are Tapco.
I will post pics when I can. This is the first time i've attemted to assemble an AR, so i'm pretty stoked
I've got my completed lower on layaway, I should be able to pay it off in two weeks. Then I need to find an upper.
My boss told me I should be able to build a basic M4 carbine for between $650 and $700. Only problem is, parts suppliers like Brownells want that price just for a complete upper.
If the price goes a little over 700, thats okay, but I want to keep cost at a minimum while still using quality parts.
So, do you guys think I should do like Johnny Cash and get it "one piece at a time"? or just save up and get a complete upper and barrel?
I'm also looking for suggestions as to the brand of parts I need, and a good place to get them.
Sorry I missed this the first time around.

So, are you asking if you should just buy a completed upper? Or buy parts piece meal as you go along?

I would definitely recommend buying individual parts and assembling them yourself.

But you aren't going to build an M4ery in this market for $650 or $700. More like $900. It's the market right now. 2 years ago, that would been very do able, but now, not so much....

What do you want the weapon to do? What is your goal of the build?

Old 12-19-2009, 04:30 AM   #5

good starting platform

Old 02-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Got a quick ? I have DPMS Ar chambered in 223/5.56 and am wanting to go bigger can I use my existing lower and of coarse a new upper for 6.5 creedmoor??? The bullets are almost the same length just the 6.5 is fatter so I need to know whether I can use my lower with the right upper????

Last edited by woodman27; 02-18-2013 at 12:58 AM.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

I recently finished building this for around $1500. Take away the quad-rail, red dot sight, magnifier, grippod and angled foregrip, the cost is more like $900-$1000. That's Stripped Lower and lower build kit, Complete upper and Troy/Spikes Rear Battlesight for around $900. With no mags or ammo.

image-3951962222.jpg  

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

NightRaidsONLY Likes This