First AR-15 Build! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > First AR-15 Build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 233 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwasrunning

Thank you! Saved me $50! just bought it!
You welcome

Old 09-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Just caught your post, I built my first ground up AR a year ago, may I suggest downloading a copy of Brownell's excellent AR assembly instructions, if you haven't already. They made assembly an absolute slam-dunk. As for the LPK fit, a little attention to detail and a soft hand with a set of medium to fine stones and jewelers files can make the trigger action a joy to pull. Don't get carried away just smooth the engagement surfaces and you can drop 2-3 lbs off the trigger pull. Let me know if this was helpful and how your build goes. The beauty of the AR's modular assembly is that you can always upgrade anything you don't like anytime you want.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #13

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Just about to finish mine with the Aero lower and matched upper. Don't do what I did and cheap out on the charging handle. Same day I got my bcg the dpms ****ty handle got tweaked and is binding up on me. Spend the extra cash on a bravo!

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-

Old 09-24-2012, 03:11 AM   #14

Likes Given: 4

I will be sure to give updates. I only work part time so this will be split up over a few paychecks, but I have ordered my lower build kit from PSA!

Old 09-24-2012, 03:34 AM   #15

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkemory View Post
Just caught your post, I built my first ground up AR a year ago, may I suggest downloading a copy of Brownell's excellent AR assembly instructions, if you haven't already. They made assembly an absolute slam-dunk. As for the LPK fit, a little attention to detail and a soft hand with a set of medium to fine stones and jewelers files can make the trigger action a joy to pull. Don't get carried away just smooth the engagement surfaces and you can drop 2-3 lbs off the trigger pull. Let me know if this was helpful and how your build goes. The beauty of the AR's modular assembly is that you can always upgrade anything you don't like anytime you want.
I think PSAs trigger is pretty nice untouched. Although I'm wondering if anyone know's what the stock pull is?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #16

It has been awhile since I have a update, but I have the lower done now. I purchased a PSA LPK with magpul furniture and a STR stock for 150 off their website. Then I got lucky and was able to buy a PSA blem lower for 60. There was only one small scratch when I picked it up. (I scratched it up more building it, due to it bejg my first build. ) Anyways, I would highly recommend these if you can find one. Next, I purchased a RRA stainless bcg. It was a struggle to find any in stock but once I read reviews on the RRA I was set. I ended up paying 130 from pk firearms. Then I purchased the BCM gunfighter charging handle.

image-750868906.jpg   image-58903686.jpg   image-911429137.jpg   image-4258853930.jpg  

Old 12-09-2012, 03:25 AM   #17

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Coming together nicely. If I can make a suggestion...order your barrel NOW! I've just done my first AR build as well. Well almost. I've been waiting for my barrel for 8 months and counting from Wilson Combat. Its rough because by this point I would have normally cancelled the order and gone another route but this is the ONLY supplier that has the barrel with the exact specs that I was looking for. From what I've seen BCG's and barrels are the toughest to come by right now. Good luck and keep us posted.

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-

Old 12-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #18

Im thinking about ordering a PSA madness 16" complete upper. They have a Christmas special for 300. I am currently a college student so value is at a premium.

I found out the hard way about the BCGs spent 3 weeks looking for one.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 233 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwasrunning View Post
Im thinking about ordering a PSA madness 16" complete upper. They have a Christmas special for 300. I am currently a college student so value is at a premium.
They are good value for money...But dont forget they take too long. They said lead time 15 days but its up to 1month. Most said worth waiting. I believe they are well worthy.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #20

Liked 378 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Just to let you know every dealer is backordered right now. My dealer account to three diffrent suppliers is backordered till feb on barrels, lowers, uppers, and bolt assemblys.

If you can get it in a month or less count yourself lucky and order now. Tis the season, plus the election pretty well overloaded the machine shops who actually do the work.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!