Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Finally starting ar15 build. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/finally-starting-ar15-build-68041/)

xcoreyyyx 07-11-2012 08:29 AM

Finally starting ar15 build.

So, I am going to start to gather parts for my build. I have a few questions about it though and hopefully everyone can point me in the right directions. I am going to pick up a simple stripped lower probably spikes from somewhere when they have a nice sale going on. I was looking at the slide fire stocks but I am not currently sold on them just yet. They would be fun to have but its a lot of wasted ammo and money by the time you are done with it. I am looking for a good quality upper that is already build though. I don't have the tools or knowledge to put one together just yet. I keep watching the sales sales sales thread so I can find some nice deals on lowers and uppers and sights and whatever else I am going to need. Keep up the good work. Thanks.

Questions:
1. Is spikes a good quality stripped lower?
2. What is a good quality assembled upper to be watching for sales for?
3. Any suggestions on a nice trigger for an ar?
4. Red dot with magnifier or a scope?
5. What is the whole debate on milspec and commercial? I saw people having issues with having their gun with milspec parts and the sight was off or something. I see that milspec is forged but then you have to buy all milspec parts (like stock and rails?) when using milspec tube?

sputnik1988 07-11-2012 08:36 AM

Read this, it's good stuff.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/

As for the Mil-spec vs commercial, stick to mil-spec. And yes, you must use a commercial stock on a commercial buffer tube.

Spikes are good lowers but so are Palmetto State Armory, they make excellent uppers also, my plan is to build a full PSA rifle.

xcoreyyyx 07-11-2012 08:44 AM

oh trust me. I just delayed my sleep for around 4 hours due to me getting caught up reading so much about them. That's why I was asking my final questions before I start finding good deals in the morning hopefully on stripped lower and kit and everything else will come. I have read that before too. Thanks for the link though. Always good to read into something before you buy stuff.

sputnik1988 07-11-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcoreyyyx (Post 866295)
oh trust me. I just delayed my sleep for around 4 hours due to me getting caught up reading so much about them. That's why I was asking my final questions before I start finding good deals in the morning hopefully on stripped lower and kit and everything else will come. I have read that before too. Thanks for the link though. Always good to read into something before you buy stuff.

My preference is Palmetto State Armory, but there are plenty good ones out there, most lowers are about the same.

Your important components are the BCG and the LPK, just make sure those are quality and you should be ok I think.

I'm sure some very knowledgeable guys will be along shortly. Good luck.

xcoreyyyx 07-11-2012 08:57 AM

Thanks for your opinion though. I know everyone has a slightly different opinion. I hear that LPK's can be customized on different sites sometimes so your not buying multiples of some different parts. I will probably end up just getting a regular one and putting a nice trigger assembly on it. Any ideas on drop in trigger assemblies?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27227/Product/AR-15-M16-GOLD-TRIGGER-MODULE

Not particularly the gold one but that's just an example. Seems like it would be more simple to drop that in and possibly more reliable due to the factory assembly? Maybe not? I am definitely going to go with an upgraded trigger assembly but I am asking if you recommend any in particular?

sputnik1988 07-11-2012 09:01 AM

What's your purpose for this rifle? If it's anything less than competition long range shooting, I'd say a trigger like that is a huge waste of funds. What's your total budget?

xcoreyyyx 07-11-2012 09:06 AM

Total budget is out of the question. However much I kinda feel like I want to put into it I will. It is just kind of my first build, I will be at the range shooting all the time just screwing around. None of my other friends "ever have time" to come to the range with me and my regular shooting buddy. We are there at least once a week. Mainly skeet shooting but sometimes we venture to the rifle range and spend a little bit there.

sputnik1988 07-11-2012 09:14 AM

I think that a factory single stage trigger would serve you well, you can always upgrade at a later date if you felt it necessary. Most people recommend that a first time builder stick to the basics and learn the platform in and out before adding upgrades to it.

xcoreyyyx 07-11-2012 09:15 AM

Ok, I will see the feel and if I like it after it is completed and if not its easy to take right back apart and replace. NBD.

okdonk 07-11-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcoreyyyx
Questions:
1. Is spikes a good quality stripped lower?
2. What is a good quality assembled upper to be watching for sales for?
3. Any suggestions on a nice trigger for an ar?
4. Red dot with magnifier or a scope?
5. What is the whole debate on milspec and commercial? I saw people having issues with having their gun with milspec parts and the sight was off or something. I see that milspec is forged but then you have to buy all milspec parts (like stock and rails?) when using milspec tube?

1. It's very good, to me. Anything as long it's Mil-Spec, good to go. It comes back to which rollmark u like best. I love Spike's. ;)
2. You can get BCM, DD or Noveske. They are the top notch brands. Most people will suggest BCM or DD.
3. I would suggest ALG Combat trigger $65, with JP Springs kit $10. Have them in all my ARs. Very crisp and light trigger pull.
4. Depends on your need. Amazon has the EOTech 512 on special, specially if yiu have Amazon CC. It's only less than $300 shipped.
5. Just go with the Mil-Spec for buffer tube and stock, no doubt. In rails, there's no specific Mil-Spec or Commercial though.