Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Essentials for gun workbench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 02:22 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearrwe View Post
Sorry but from experience I must disagree with reloading equipment! If you have grinders and welders you have sparks, if you're reloading you have powder. If you have gun powder and sparks in the same location you have an unplanned home remodeling!
How do you get grinders , welders and sparks from what i wrote

Old 06-13-2012, 02:46 AM   #22

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
How do you get grinders , welders and sparks from what i wrote
I was only referring to the reloading equipment in your post. Previous posts had suggested grinders and welders and other equipment for the bench. I was only commenting that it wasn't a good idea to mix these items. I saw it as an accumulation of items and just suggesting seperation of explosive and source of ignition.

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

Old 06-13-2012, 02:51 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

ahhh I got ya.. I thought he was only building a gun maint area. I have all my stuff in the same room. cleaing table in the middle and a reloading bench on either side.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #24

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 72

you will need a good 6 inch bench grinder,a 3 lb hammer ,and a cell phone (to call the local smith after you screw up) and the most dangerious tool of all the dremmal! good luck learn from your mistakes

Old 06-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #25

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

I have no cabinets under my bench but I have them overhead. My reloading and maintenance stuff is all in the same room. Grinder, drill press, band saw and welder are in the main shop where I do car work. My " gun room" as my wife calls it is pretty small but nearly everything is on easy reach. Hammers hang on the wall along with some screw drivers and small pliers on a magnetic rail.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #26

Liked 93 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 139

I would suggest building one bench for mounting your vises and another for general purposes and one bench for drill presses, router tables scroll/band saws, belt sanders ect.
you may even want to consider making a stand for a vise so you can make it portable around the shop (Portable vise is one of the handiest tools you will own) you can make a really nice vise stand out of an old truck rim a piece of pipe that will fit the center hole, 3" or 4" Pipe depending on the size of the hole and a piece of flat plate the size of the base of the vise by 1/4" thick, plumband weld the pipe to the rim then center and level the plate to the top of the pipe and weld

you can get a really nice general purpose work bench from harborfreight,

It is hardwood, very strong and has held up very well for the past 6 years, I have used mine from building guitars to guns. and it comes with a vice that works great as a barrel vise by making some jaws out of 2"x2"oak and hole saws for cutting the jaw hole. cut two pieces of oak 4" to 6" long then mark the center of the oak blank then clamp the two blanks together in a drill press vise then use the hole saw to cut the center hole out dead center of the two halves . when you unclamp the two halves you have a set of gun barrel jaws.
try to get hole saws 1/16 smaller than the barrel diameter. or you can always make bushings with barrel bushing mold compound.

HFT also has a vise stand if you don't want to build one.
but the ho-made stand is better because it has a heavier base plus you can weight it down with sand bags if needed if you have to use a lot of leverage

harbor freight also has a pretty decent belt sandes and band and scroll saws that have served me well.
you can also pick up some pin punches and hammers there that work as good as the expensive stuff the home gunsmith dont need to spend a fortune on tools that should be used for buying more guns
Brownells is too expensive. Midway USA has better prices buy you can find a lot of tools at www.Grizzly.com and www.Harborfreight.com

"I dont believe in repeat offenders I believe in DEAD offenders!" Ted Nugent.
No Matter Where Ya go There Ya Are

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA

Old 06-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #27

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

This is where I work on my guns. The first two pics are my "gun room". The others are the main shop. I have a part of an old furnace body brhing the grinder and welder for spark protection.

imag0131-1.jpg   imag0132-1.jpg   imag0134-1.jpg   imag0135-1.jpg