Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Essentials for gun workbench (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/essentials-gun-workbench-65983/)

andyfromlyle 06-07-2012 05:41 PM

Essentials for gun workbench

Hi everyone! Here soon I'll have a room I can dedicate to my hobbies. I'm going to turn half the room into a gun repair station. I want to gather the necessities and any awesome extras a gun nut would love.

My father has been repairing guns his whole life. He buys guns in terrible shape and repairs them for fun. He sometimes uses our neighbors metal lathe and equipment to machine pieces he needs. He's an old school hard working country guy.

He's modest and an actions speak louder than words kinda person. I want to set up a great gun working area so I can pry some of his endless gun knowledge from him.

Would all you knowledgable folks on here help me figure out what I need to purchase and mount so I can shock him with the great work station I have set up for us? Thanks for any advice everyone.

linuxuser3890 06-07-2012 05:45 PM

A set of quality stones and files is a great way to get started. You may want to mention what type of guns you plan to work on because a lot of tools are gun specific tools.

andyfromlyle 06-07-2012 05:59 PM

Mostly hunting rifles, revolvers, semi auto pistols, my brothers ar style rifles, my sks's, and rusted solid rifles from the 40's and before. I plan to build my first ar15 style rifle once I'm settled in and have gotten good at modifying one of my ruger 10/22's.

I'm guessing ill need a gun vice, good allen wrenches and special tools desgned for AR modifications. I hadn't thought of good files and stones so far. I'll start looking for a couple great sets specifically designed for gun work. Thanks for the response.

hiwall 06-07-2012 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes a good heavy vise would be first on the list. Files, a million screwdrivers, dremal tool, drill press, more files(hand milling machine to some), grinder, more files, more screwdrivers. Here is a pic of one of my benches.

andyfromlyle 06-07-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall
Yes a good heavy vise would be first on the list. Files, a million screwdrivers, dremal tool, drill press, more files(hand milling machine to some), grinder, more files, more screwdrivers. Here is a pic of one of my benches.

After years my work bench will look that impressive I hope. Bet there's still random things you still want in there too.

danf_fl 06-07-2012 10:39 PM

Plenty of light and a sight magnifier.

If you can't see it, you can't fixit.

bearrwe 06-07-2012 11:15 PM

Hit pawn shops and buy screwdrivers, files and pin punches. Even if you have sets of these tools on hand I have found I use all of the above to make special tools for certain jobs. It may be as simple as bending a screwdriver tip and carving a notch to pull back a spring but if you have tools to use for this on hand you will find a use for them.

andyfromlyle 06-08-2012 04:28 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. It'll be a while before I have a finished product I can post a picture of. I've still got to build the cabinets, countertop, purchase all the tools & install the vices, lights and magnification devices. As soon as I'm done I'll post a "my first work bench" thread. Can't wait to start the work.

TimL2952 06-08-2012 05:03 PM

+1 to all the above.

-Get a good sturdy vice with rubber jaws..just makes it easier
-For ARs you can get a block that goes in the vice and it slips into the magwell...makes it easy to work on.
-Pin punches, Pliers, rubber mallets, screw drivers, screw drviers, dremmel, drill, files...oh...and screwdrivers...I always seem to be missing the right one.

I started with this set...But soon after I got many, many more smaller ones.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=15873/pid=6634/Product/GUNSMITH-SCREWDRIVERS?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source= googlebase&mc_id=10000&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_ 7c3466_a_7c319120000_d_319120000_d_11540

DrumJunkie 06-08-2012 05:22 PM

Looks pretty much covered above I can never get enough screwdrivers, punches, stones and files. For files I really like those needle files that jewelers use. A big vice is a must have. And I'd have the most heavy built bench you can get your hands on. Most people I know build the bench themselves. a light with a magnifier is never in the way.:)